Budget single 18650 thrower

Here is how my Small Sun ZY-C10-S zoomer works.

If left off for 20min or more, it will start on High.
If the stand-off time has been shorter than 10min, it will start in the next mode.

EDIT: This is wrong! See my post #29.

That sounds lovely! Can you tell me about the light color? Is it blueish or white?

Mine is blueish, but on throw that doesn't mean much, as the projected LED image or color fringing prevail. Where you do notice the blueish tint, is on flood.

That will also depend on the particular emitter you happen to get.

It can be solved, if you want to reduce the 20mins. You have to search a capacitor on the driver which holds the voltage after you switch off the light. And you have to solder a resistor paralel with it (somewhere 10k-100kohm, it depends how much you want to reduce the time).

I trust viffer750 is right, but the driver isn't easy to access to and it seems to be press-fit, which makes tinkering with it a bit risky.

Nice thought. Anyhow, if the capacitor is removed, does it mean it will effectively make the light single mode?

I don't know what happens if the capacitor is removed. There is a chance that the driver stays on hi mode and become single mode.

here is a "fine tune" with a resistor (but it's not the small sun driver):

I don’t know what the minimum amount of time is after turning the light off for it to come back on in high mode but after reading this thread I turned it on and off and waited 5 minutes. It came back on in high mode.
So on mine it’s somewhere between 2-5 minutes.

I have both and the EBay one KILLS the 980L in throw, I love the 980L tho, it's better in every other way.

I have to correct my previous statement about switch-off time. (Don't know how I managed to screw that test up.)

Well, after 3min off (or longer), it will come on in High. After 2min off (or sooner), it will come on in the next mode.

So mine works the same as gcbrian's.

Alright, thank you guys for all your support and the answers, its ordered. :)

Next project will be an LED-conversion of a flashlight with an estimated age of 20 years. :D

All you need to do, is let it stay 3min (or more) on Off. That way it will always come back on in High and if you use it as a single-mode, High-only, flashlight (i.e. you do not attempt to change modes), you won't even know that other modes are available.

As I already mentioned, the Small Sun ZY-C10-S driver seems to be press-fit into the aluminium pill. By removing it, you may later run into contact reliability problems, as soldering isn't a straightforward option.

I noticed that too and I thought that it was due to some imperfection of this particular lens.

Didn't know it was standard with aspherics...

Trustfire X9 anyone? Just putting the idea out there, I know its XML but if you want throw and a good sized hotspot (~30 meters across 300m not some pencil thin beam). Downside of it is its size ~200mm long, ~1 inch body and ~60mm head.

+ 1

Are you using a light meter? I don’t get that result at all. When the current spreader bars are visible I get the highest reading and as I defocus it I get lower readings (as would be expected).

Mine was visual, but I plan to verify by luxmeter soon.

Has been just too cold in the attic lately.