Budget Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) recommendations wanted

Yes, but I'm not a member, and $100 is over my budget.

Most of UPS have Surge Protection built in —Usually all of the outlets are protected and half are battery backed up

That's not the issue.

There's not enough outlets in the UPS for all of my devices, and there are not enough wall outlets for a UPS and my surge protector.

With a battery backup if you get any kind of power issue Outage —Brown Out— ETC —The battery will keep everything on for a certain amount of time —one real benefit is to be able to save your work —for instance you just typed up a long review/reply on BLF and right before you hit save — the power dips —all is lost with no UPC —- Before I knew better I’ve lost Excel worksheets with bids —NO Fun

In Canada (and presumably the US) if a member buys you a gift card then you can use it to get into Costco.
Around here they require us to go the membership desk and get a day pass.

That said being over your budget won’t be helped by this but if there is anything you want from Costco its good to know this is an option.
Also you should not need a membership card to buy fast food, you should be able to buy the $1.50 hot dogs and other things they have without difficulty. Also you may be able to use the pharmacy without a membership depending on local laws.

When there’s a Will —There’s a Way

This was the motto on Fresh Prince of Belair when Will was the star of the basketball team.

I think that saying goes back a little further than that :laughing:

I’m sure it does.

I received the UPS yesterday, and set it up today.

It is quite heavy for how small it is.

It is best to charge it for 8 hours before use, so that's what I'm doing.

I'm glad I finally have a UPS system for when the power goes out.

That’s great to hear! Did you have to use a dolly to move it?:smiley: I got a Cyberpower 650 VA and It’s been going well for a couple of years now. :slight_smile: Is yours the one with “Surge Protected Devices” on one side and “Surge Protected Devices and Battery Power” on the other side?

Yep.

I'll have to get a small surge protector so that I can plug everything that I want protected by the UPS on the "Battery Power" side.

That’s good practice as I learned the hard way years ago. My laptop wouldn’t work after the power went out. Same thing happened to my iMac. Those were dark times indeed! :money_mouth_face: :smiling_imp:

The Eaton I bought has the highest build quality out of every UPS I had so far and is the only one that runs cool, but at $350 vs cyberpower’s $200 you could hardly call it budget, and it’s loud, especially when engaged. They also charge about 3 times what batteries are worth for replacement, practically the cost of the unit itself…

The sinewave Cyberpower I had janked out after roughly 3 years, just as warranty ended, no idea why. Wasn’t a battery issue I’d assume - the display text was “corrupt” and it basically did nothing. The off brand I had only lasted a year, don’t do it!

Which one did you get?

CyberPower ST625U

I'm hoping that the battery will last at least three years, but when the battery dies, I'll probably replace it with either the following or something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/CPS5-5-12-Compatible-Replacement-Battery-UPSBatteryCenter/dp/B07CQ99PF1

Looks good :slight_smile:
And the battery you linked is about 60Wh, decent for shutdown without losing anything and a couple phone charges.

The batteries in these things tend to fail at the worst possible time. With no warning.

Every 6 months or so shut it down and unplug all the equipment.
Hook up a light(s) with a few 100w bulbs installed. Just some sort of load that is say 50% or so of the rated power
Lights are best because you can get a visual clue as to what’s happening.
Don’t be surprised if a “simulated” sine wave UPS light level drops when running on the battery.

Power up the UPS and see if it can power that for a few minutes.
If not, it’s time for new batteries.

Often the UPS thinks it’s fine until it actually has to - well – you know – UPS something.
Then it quits a few seconds after the power fails.
Trust but Verify…
All the Best,
Jeff

It was stormy here tonight.

The power went out for two hours starting at 2:55am

My UPS worked, but it loudly beeped twice every 30 seconds.

I thought maybe I bought a bad (or annoying) UPS, but I read the instructions, and disabling the beeping is pretty easy.

Now that the power is back on, the UPS is set up perfectly.

The next time the power goes out, I don't have to fiddle with the UPS, and I won't be hearing any annoying beeping.