building a 3S2P from scratch 18650s - how to charge?

another thing to consider: It is almost impossible to buy a genuine TP4056 board. I once attempted to do so and among some 10-15 purchases all that arrived were fake/copy/clone boards, not a single genuine toppower 4056 IC. Some of these were reported to not be terminating correctly.

this is the datasheet for the genuine tp4056 which was tested by HKJ

notice the logo

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20TP4056%20UK.html

Pretty old thread you dug out there :wink:

I have already built 2 mobile speakers - one with 3S4P , one with 4S3p - both with proper chargers in them.

But I have searched for a cheaper alternative, and I think I found one.
This board: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3S-4-2v-li-ion-lipo-balancer-board-balncing-board-full-charge-battery-balance-board/32810623421.html
Plus a step up or step down with CC that gives out the voltage needed.

yes purchasing a complete board seems like the easiest solution

but what you purchased seems to be only the balance board with 62 Ohm drain resistors, that will equal to some 65mA balancing current per cell. That means that if the charger supplies more than needed voltage for your cell pack, the balancer will be able to dissipate only 65mA x number of cells leaving the pack probably vulnerable to overcharging. I would go with a full BMS, they are also quite cheap for your pack specification.

Do you have a post about the speakers? I’m been thinking of doing a similar project, and I’d love to see what you’ve done.

@vex_zg - I haven’t built in the balancing board, I just came across it while searching for cheap chargers.

@ryansoh3 - Well, I built this speaker with a bit of an addition - I made it 5cm higher and packed all in what I needed.

Battery, charger, 12V Power-Supply, Amplifier, USB-Charger, 2 isolating transformer so you can charge a device and also listen music with it

This speaker can be charged with 230V or 12V (Car) and runs on 230V, 12V input or the internal battery.

www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-kab-be-18650-battery-extension-board-for-bluetooth-amplifier-boards—325-113

I am building similar and plan on using 2 of these in parallel.

They have a balance charger board on the back and are designed to run parallel for larger capacity.