Building a new computer, could use some advice

Doh!

Sorry, you’re right. Aw heck, just get the 660 or whatever. I actually think a better single card is better than dual anyway. Foy is not a big gamer so, maybe someone smarter can chime in.

D14 cooler, 32C idle as I type this and 5-minute Intel stress test max 80.

Foy

Well, if you havent been in computers in a long time, you should really buy my Windows 95 PentiumII, its been top of the line…a while…back…or something…!

Nice, I would love to have that cooler as well but I don’t think it’ll fit in my Mini ITX case. :weary:

I’ve got a 486 I made into a key fob somewhere. I wonder how long before i7’s go that way.

been there, done that, 15 second boot time :smiley:

You should see the boot-time of Windows 3.11 on an i5. It's awesome.

C:\

Win <enter>

BLIP

'Desktop' or whatever you want to call it..

Takes 10 times as long to load MSCDEX.EXE as it does to load "Windows"

Then again, Windows 8 + Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz + Samsung 840 Pro boots up completely just as quickly :smiley:

I actually had this 150 gig samsung hard drive fail about a year ago, and it was bought in 2006ish. But still, last a decent amount of time for a hard drive to go for.

i didn’t know it would run, i would try windows 95 on the new computer but i figured it will complain about motherboard drivers and hang with some weird error

I've heard of people having SSD failures sooner than I would have expected and maybe I'm just lucky but my old rig still has the 80 gig Intel SSD I installed maybe 4 years ago. Still works, still fast.

I've had Raptors fail sooner than that.

Foy

Bort -

About motherboards; Asus is an excellent choice. I've used them but for a long time I was a pretty loyal Gigabyte man. I first tried ASRock a year or so ago and I have to admit, I got the first one simply because of looks.

I don't mean to sound like a Geek Squad expert because I really am not. For me, a failed motherboard is the most maddening thing that can happen when building a new computer. If there's a motherboard issue, an amateur like me won't necessarily know it's the MOBO. Either Windows won't install or no network or something will happen and I'll go through swapping out every component only to finally swap the board and all is well. Sometimes a particular failure points right to the culprit. Usually not, for me.

I say all this because after the last 6 or 7 machines I've built, Foy has had exactly zero failed motherboards from ASRock. Not saying they are the best. At the price point I'm usually at, ASRock is a very mid-level board but I tend to stay with something I know and have had good luck with.

Some features are more important to some people than others. For me, lots of SATA 6 connections and plenty of USB 3 ports are important because I always have more hard drives than bays to put them and I have too many peripherals. You can sometimes pay extra for things like debug/power/reset LEDs that look cool but might rarely if ever get used. Although it does seem that once considered high end features are showing up at lower and lower price points.

I would stay away from MSI.

Foy

Asus and Asrock are related. Asrock was set up by Asus as its budget brand but is now fully autonomous. The two companies still have good links.

My experience in IT was the same with OCZ, great value and performance, but they aren’t going to last you. Back when I used them I think they had a 3year warranty, and they honored it, but who wants to do deal with that.

Lots of resurrections lately. Anybody see the new ice lake? 10nm.

Nah.
Icelake will be plain bad compared to Ryzen 3.

These things make my mouth water, especially since I’ve lost a bit of performance since the latest Windows fixing patches for vulnerabilities.

I mean, I just want to get an 8 core CPU damn it.

I love my Ryzen, I’m looking forward to Navi.