Building the ultimate keychain light!

Absolutely amazing.

great skills, awesome work!

Truly amazing work that you do.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. In response to the question about boosting the main LED: for general-purpose lights, my usual rule is to set drive current to a level that can run it for 1 hour. I measured the current draw on the stock setup at 100mA, and by my estimation based on size, I think the battery is somewhere near 100mAh so I decided to stick with the stock setup. The Tube is non-regulated and just uses a FET and a 4.7 ohm resistor. For the colors, I have them driven directly from I/O pins and set the current at 25mA.

Here’s a quick demo video that shows how the colors look in the case and the charge monitoring functions:

Aw man, that’s amazing. Thanks for sharing!

How’s the thermal management for the XM-L?

At 25mA/ea it doesn’t need thermal management. That’s the same drive current used for “high brightness” / “super bright” through-hole LEDs in 3mm and 5mm plastic encapsulated packages. Note that the main (stock!) LED is plastic encapsulated and is running at 4x the drive current yet still isn’t heatsinked.

The XM-L Color gives tterev3 huge dies which may (?) generate a lot more light at 25mA than a high brightness LED, but more importantly it puts all those dies in a nice compact package which is very low profile after slicing the dome off. Space is clearly pretty tight for this build.

Wow man, nice job.

wow… incredible mod, you are awesome! :open_mouth:

wow they should hire you pronto

What a sick build. The modders on here are amazing

Something interesting about the stock LED—its cathode side is a big slug instead of the normal-sized lead, presumably for thermal reasons. I hadn’t seen that before, must be a cool new development for higher-power 5mm packages

I think you’re right, they will be a bit more efficient than their high-bright counterparts at 25mA, but yes the primary reason is just for physical space.

Ah, I see what you mean! That’s interesting, I haven’t seen it before either. Then again, getting a claimed 45 lumens out of a 5mm emitter is a new thing too…

This is so cool. I’ve tried throwing my money at my laptop to no avail :frowning:

I’m always available for doing mod jobs for hire, but as you might guess this build takes some significant labor time…

I like my SS-5039s better. Maybe even the stock SS-5039. So to me it is not “ultimate”.

you piqued my curiosity. I looked it up :wink:

The best mod I’ve ever seen.

I only have 1 question.. How in the world do you get it to work?

holy cow, that is insane! Congratulations - if there was a build of the month award this would get it hands down :)

:star: A true wonder to behold! :star:
Great work!