Calculators

I almost forgot. Before I bought my 48G, I picked up a couple of HP 41CVs really cheap. I think they were less than $10 each. I cleaned some alkaleage off the contacts and springs and they both seem to work. One has a couple of modules.

Since I’m not particularly attached to either of them, and given what they’re going for on eBay these days, maybe I should sell them and get that ebike kit I’ve been drooling over.

https://www.oldcalculatormuseum.com/wang360.html

Had one of these….My Dad found it at Beekil surplus in Chicago (Incredible old school place)
Ultimately I think he gave it to my grade school

Nixies are cool. My dad had a nixie calculator that I played with a lot just to see the numbers change.

I’m in the process of de-googling my (phone) life. That’s my main beef with Android. And iOS is even worse.

But I do find it handy to have a media player, calculator, fitness tracker, GPS, org viewer, web browser, ebook reader, PDA, camera, and general purpose computer all in one device. Oh yeah, and a phone. That’s a lot more than any of my Palm devices could handle.

Growing up as a kid, I remember my dad had one of these…

FixedNixed that for you.

In 1976 I bought my first scientific calculator for work - it was either a Sharp or a Casio, I can’t remember.
In those days it cost almost one weeks wages.
10 years later I bought the HP 11C which was simply the best.
It worked well for about 20 years but one of the number buttons stopped working.
These days with phones, tablets, PC’s you hardly need a separate calculator.

High school calculators were a Casio (not sure which model) and the TI-30 (red LEDs.)

Got a TI-50 II (LCD) early in college. That went bad, and TI sent me a TI-50-III as a replacement.

Bought an HP11C for engineering work, then got a deal (at that time) on an HP41C. I didn’t use the capabilities of the 41C, so I sold it. The 11C I kept until about 10 years ago, when I sold it on Ebay.

Back in the 90’s, I was given an HP48GX, which is my go-to calculator at work. Or, the EMU48 app on my computer, or Droid48 on my tablet. I also have an HP15C that doesn’t get used. I took the batteries out of it for storage.

I also had an HP42 and 32-II (I think) but those were passed on.

I picked up a couple TI-83’s that were cheap, and gave one away to a friend who had gone back to school.

I have a couple low-end scientific units. Nothing to brag about. Some old HP38G and 39G units to play with.

Been through many calculators over the years, mainly in 2ndry school(high school). One i have right now that is in work is an old casio.

Very little use these days tbh, but its there for that just in case…………………and because i like it :slight_smile:

I still have this in my house; it works. It’s a Commodore 786D.

I keep debating selling my old calculators, but I never seem to get around to it. I love(d) my HP 15C, Sharp basic programmables, HP 28S, etc. I guess it’s a little like a kid having trouble letting go of old toys ’cause I’m sure I couldn’t just sit down and program any of them anymore One more drawer of stuff my wife or son will have to deal with one day. Memories and nostalgia with a touch of “they don’t make ’em like they used to”. Calculators are cool. I picked up a new HP 35S in the hope that it would replace the 15C well enough that I could let go of it. Totally different vibe, didn’t work.

they are small - it is a lot easier to justify getting rid of big things :slight_smile:

sofa
old bikes
refrigerators
mattresses

i’ve got maybe 20 i would keep, maybe 30 i would sell but haven;t bothered yet
i did buy an hp48 for about $5 and sold for i think $80

plus i will buy those high school TI calculators, 83, 84 etc at yard sales for $1-5, resell for $35-50
market seems to be dropping off though, i may be stuck with 5-6 of them

wle

<——

I’ve always been good at math. I mean really good. I taught my math teachers RPN in high school. Hardly anyone had even heard of Reverse Polish Notation in West Tennessee in those days. In late 1973 my parents sacrificed a weeks wages to make a 200 mile round trip to Goldsmith’s department store in Memphis, TN to purchase a Texas Instruments SR-11 for me (I was 13 years old). It was almost a hundred dollars ( I’m talking 1973 dollars, people). It would do square, square root, AND reciprocal functions! I’ve had many more calculators since, from all the big names, but I still use the old SR-11 to this day. I am amazed that it still works. Red LED’s FTW!

forgot to add a picture and i don’t even know how to use it :partying_face:

Not exactly my first calculator, but first made in my country Bulgaria “ELKA 6521” in 1965 with square root calculation.

That’s interesting. First ever made TI calculator. More info here:
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/texas_instruments_2500.html

I have some HPs (35, 15C, 32SII, 48G, 50G), but mainly use the Elektronika MK52 for its green VFD and the display/keyboard angle. Always on my desk, running on Eneloops

Only drawback is that I have to reload my programs from EEPROM every time I switch it on, when needing them.

Anyone remember EduCALC? Used to really look forward to getting the catalog in the mail.