Cheapest BRIGHT 18650 beater light? C8 knockoff with upgrades? Something else?

Looks to be a little cheaper at MtnElec ($18) and already in my country (USA). I assume they’re the same light?

Yes it’s the same light. You will be paying shipping for it though so it brings the price up. Takeaway is you’ll get it in 5 days instead of 30 (due to shipping delays from China). I think it’s worth it. I bought a Sofirn sp10s Friday evening from Andrews on with Prime, free shipping total order was $18 and will be here today. Difference in price was like $4.00 vs buying from Sofirn direct or on AE.

Well, if you’re looking for a cheap Convoy c8 for $17.99 at MTN, better hurry up as unfortunately Richard is not stocking complete flashlites any longer and has just a few left.

Ordered one from MTN a few days ago. At this point, I can make the knock offs work although they’re complete junk compared to the real convoy IMO. I wish Mnt’s sales wouldn’t discontinue that light. The best balance of quality/price I know of.

Bummer! I’ll try to grab one!

I ended up doing this and I think it’s great! I only let it run for 10-15 seconds at a time but it’ll light up an entire back woods.

The dome on the LED is the same size as the hole in the reflector. I just bring the star shelf up to where the reflector pushes the star down slightly. I run it off of two 18350s and the ones I have give 4.5amps worth. I need to get some real ‘high drain’ 18350s. I tried it with a pair of good 18650s and I’m getting 10.5 amps. I need to compare the brightness difference at night. It’s probalby not too much brighter with the 10amps and of course the tail cap will not go on whereas the 18350s fit (ultra bright compact light).

I haven’t let it run for longer than say a minute and I probably won’t. It gets pretty warm. I wouldn’t call it a product that could be sold to the mass public. I’m sure it’d fail with leaving it on for long periods. But I know to keep it short.

Ok… I’ve come full circle on this thread! I just got my order from Mnt Electronics today and it contained a Convoy (real) C8. I have my modded 2x 18650 extended tube clone (Ultrafire) C8 from ebay (Mnt had an extension tube that fit only this one clone (Ultrafire) of my two clones and a real Convoy). The tube was for a supfire m2 z and was part numberEXT-TUBE-M2Z. The clone has been modded to direct drive an xhp70 emitter. While it is brighter (probably 1.5x the size and a little more brightness vs the stock convoy), the Convoy is nearly as bright in reality and every bit as useful. It’s also a cleanly designed product instead of a hacked up mod.

My other real Convoy is direct drive. I now realize this is a needless mod. The direct drive pulls 2.9 amps and the stock convoy with the brain still intact also draws 2.9 amps on high. So… messing with it is foolish. All you gain is losing several useful and well thought out modes.

So… the winner is… the real convoy in my opinion.

I also tested a direct drive XHP50 in the other clone… it uses 2x 18350 and is the same brightness and beam size as the stock convoy. I spent about the same with mod parts and the junk knockoff light, but have more time into it.

So again… stick to the real Convoy. It’s a great light right out of the box.

You may already know this if you’re into mods… but hopefully it’ll save someone some time. The XHP70 2x 18650 modded light is nice… I’m not regretting it… but it’s not worlds better than stock.

Buy the real Convoy! It’s great!