CLOSED groupbuy: Wuben A21 (June 10 to 27 2018)

I’m actually looking forward to this light in 70.2 and NW, I’m in for sure.

Wish the o-ring seal was red instead of yellow in the middle of the light…oh well

Are they pairing this light with a 4800 mAh 21700 battery? I’m not sure that battery is capable of delivering 4200 lumen.

Is this a rewrapped Samsung 48G?

With a fully charged battery, it will need to pull about 13A to 14A to deliver 4200 lumen and the 48G is only rated at about 8A to 10A continous.

At lower voltages the amp draw will increase.

Since turbo is not considered continous, maybe they can get away with it?

Yeah I didn’t think of that. As far as I know it’s the 4000mah cells that can handle higher continuous current draw, like 20A and higher. Maybe there’s another new type of 4800mah cell on the market? I would like to see how the first reviews look regarding the current draw.

I asked if it’s a Samsung cell earlier in this thread and did not get a response.

As for current draw, the specifications for cree xhp70.2 say max power is 29W. At 4V, that would mean 7.25A current, plus some heat transfer losses I guess. Or am I not understanding the specs correctly?

That’s just the manufacturer specs. You can push a XHP70.2 much harder. I’ve seen Convoy L6 mods that push 13A through a 6v XHP70.2. The problem we see is that a single cell might not be able to supply enough current to the LED to emit 4200 lumens because it has a boost driver circuit. And you get voltage sag across a battery when drawing current. And when drawing high current to keep the XHP70.2 happy the driver would have to increase the current even more! So let’s hope it’s a decent cell. I’ll rather go for a lower mah rated cell that can supply enough current so that I can have constant current being fed to the LED.

Max power is closer to 129W, but that is not relevant here.

What you may not be considering is that there is no such thing as a 3v 70.2. They can be wired 6v or 12v depending on the mcpcb.

So double your current to see the 8v it needs. 7.25A x 2 = 14.5A or about 58 watts to equal 4200 lumen.

I hope that makes sense.

Not really. The cree spec says max light output is 4292lm at max current of 4.8A (6V) or 2.4A (12V).

Delivering 4.8A at 6V would be equivalent power to delivering 7.25A at 4V. or 9.6A at 3V.

http://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-arrays/xlamp-xhp70-2

You need about 60w for Wuben to meet it’s specs once you account for driver, lens and reflector losses.

Got it. Thanks!

In that case, something tells me the Turbo will step down very quickly in this light, or it won’t reach the advertised 4200 lm output.

EDIT: Also, Wuben’s website says that the battery is protected, which may further limit the available max current.

Uum guys, you do know that at 4200 lumens, thé XHP70.2 only consumes 28W of power, right?

Even if we were to count for only 75% total efficiency,including the optics and driver, it would still only require 37W for it to reach 4200 lumens, not 60W.

I do agree the 48G is not adequate though.

FYI, I noticed Manker also supplies a 21700 4800mAh cell with some of their lights (U22), but they don’t claim anywhere close to 4200 lm output. Granted, U22 uses a different emitter, so it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I was testing out a similar light just recently, the ODF30, and it was pulling 9A to put out about 3000 - 3100 lumen. Maybe boost drivers, or at least that one, are much less efficient an CC or Buck?

I was looking at Kof3’s 70.2 emitter tests and it’s showing 4200 lumen at 6.2A and 6.25v. That’s a P2 4000K which might have a lower than usual voltage requirement. That’s 39 watts for the bare emitter. I doubt Wuben is using a P2 bin, so I’m erring on the side of caution by saying it needs at least 55-60 watts.

That’s a lot of power for a commercial boost driver. Anyway, this is why I’m skeptical of the 4200 lumen rating. If it actually did about 3,000 lumen then everything would fall in line. We may have to wait and see the actual results. If it can actually do 4200 lumen with that protected cell, I’ll be truly impressed. :smiley:

Anxiously awaiting to hear what the group buy price will be… :slight_smile:

I voted using the box in the OP, did that also enter me on the list?

I think that is the list? At least I hope it is, did the same thing :wink:

Thanks for reminding me about the L30, andrew-amanda has it for $122 delivered, which is even less than banggood. I’m thinking it may fit unprotected 21700 since it fits protected 20700.

L30 is considerably longer but has the tactical tail switch, larger reflector / more throw, but no ramping. I think it could be considered in a somewhat different class than the wuben based on size and UI, the Wuben is not tactical but it’s more compact and has much more versatility in output levels.

L30:
Dual switch/Tactical tail switch but longer size than Wuben
Instant Turbo from OFF
Larger reflector/more throw: (373m vs 222m for the Wuben)
No ramping

Set modes:

Wuben:
Side switch only, 26.5mm shorter than L30
No shortcut to Turbo (except memory if it has it)
More compact head size but 150m less throw than L30
Has ramping mode

Set modes:

I really like the Acebeam’s Tactical UI and longer throw, for a tactical light / searchlight it’s better.

But this Wuben is a more compact size and with ramping it’s looking good too, better for an all-around light. Something to consider for sure if NW and the price is right.

Wuben uses a LG cell

emails to order will be sent starting on 10th this month

groupbuy will be closed after 10 days!

Any price indication yet? And will the output be tested before it goes on sale?

I tried looking for info on a LG 4800mah 21700, but found nothing. Maybe it’s a new battery?

LG does have a 5000mah 21700 called a H30. Maybe that is it?

I don’t want to get too off topic, but my curiosity is strong. :smiley:

price cannot be published - it will be sent to the people on the list starting in a week

and I hope I get a sample before the deadline to compare to other lights