Closed Official Haikelite MT09R *UPDATE Now including TA's Pricing for Emitter Upgrades* Closed

What a great news. Well done! Texas_Ace.
I think many will look forward to purchase of MT09R with newly improved driver and design.

Any idea what kind of timeline all this will take? Communication between Dale and I is slow to say the least but there has been communication…

I can’t speak for Dales side of things but if I get the go ahead to build the V2 prototype I hope to place the order tomorrow. With express shipping I should get the new boards next week and then a few days for testing. So by the end of next week I should have the design ready.

Then it is just a matter of them sourcing the parts and building the drivers. Can’t say how long that will take. My work should be done by the end of next week if all goes well.

Any chance of just buying the driver from you directly??

Yes, I will be selling a limited number of drivers directly. I am trying to get an idea of how many to order now actually. Thinking I will order 10 to start with. Terry might also be offering them as an option in his lights but I can’t speak for him.

Put me in for one. maybe Haikelite will reimburse me for doing all the footwork AND the repair work :slight_smile:

Just to be clear I have nothing to do with this and this has not even been talked about. I am simply selling the drivers directly, unrelated to Haikelite to those that want a TA driver now.

Yeah right, where is my paid-off charger too It’s been a month or so with no sign of charger is being updated.

Put me down for one driver please

Haikelite should have used TA driver + narsilM from the beginning :person_facepalming: talk about ruining a good light. now i have to spend money for a new driver. I might be interested on the new TA driver but really depending on the cost MT09r is already not a cheap flashlight.

Wow, those numbers make my head spin :smiley:

So your planning is to reach those 9k lumen per emitter? Isn’t that a bit too much? Even Vinh’s lights like the X7vn is “only” doing 7k lumen per emitter, 21k overall. Isn’t this a bit more on the safe side in regards of lifetime and “burning my hand after 10 seconds”? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for answering our questions here!

P.S. Hopefully Haikelite will sell the complete light with your driver. I’m very interested, but I don’t have the tool or the experience to do it myself…

Texas_Ace, can you tell me in your view to what extent are the current drivers for the MT09R 35 and 70 TA or TA style drivers?

yes to me they should have not sent out any light before chinese holidays and work a bit more on the driver and quality and ship them out when they feel there are no problems, i get the feeling the rushed this out before holidays and those with issues must either replace the light or whatever, this is a few weeks if not more until a proper light will be in hands. I just happy with mine no flicker issues or anything else except for not peaking the promised lumens i can live with that but techincal issues is bad for a groupbuy light for those that have i can understand the frustration…

I was under the impression they used a good driver already before the groupbuy even started, guess not…

and yeah the charger seems its not gonna happen much even the smaller SC26 light not much happens now, i think they focus on the drivers for now perhaps even tho i got a reply last week it was supposed to go on sale?

Mine isn’t having issues but in the interest of higher lumens and a better interface I would totally be interested in a new driver (depending on price).

Well in my current light I am “only” hitting about 8k per emitter. Pretty good for an 80CRI emitter.

In the light I have in mind, lets just say it might get it’s own model number, there would be some significant changes.

Far as a balance between heat and output, that is why I use narsil. With the ramping you can get whatever balance of heat and output you want.

Also the ramp stops at around ~12-13k lumens to keep the heat down and turbo jumps up to the full 23k, this helps.

In turbo it gets hot silly fast for sure but then just don’t use turbo for more then a few seconds :wink:

The stock drivers are not even remotely a TA driver in any way. The basic layout from a visual point of view is similar but that is it.

The components are different, the MCU is different, the firmware is different and it is lacking the important voltage control components that keep it working under these conditions.

Now don’t get me wrong, Haikelite was using a china R&D company for the stock driver (I think they had already hired them before they contacted me and I offered to design the driver the first time) and they were trying to copy it while still making it their own (aka, to earn the money they were being paid).

It is also common for engineers to want to start over with their own take of a design vs using someone elses work. So don’t be too hard on Haikelite, they were just outsourcing the work.

The place they outsourced it was the problem, and HL knows it, they have already said they will not be using them again.

Just know that where the stock drivers failed, this driver should not. Also don’t get me wrong, while I put the TA design together on a single pcb, I got the individual ideas from a lot of people that came before me. Del has been a big help along the whole process in getting the voltage spike issues figured out and perfecting the overall design.

Looking like 5 or 6 interested so far, so my guess of 10 drivers looks reasonable at this point. I should be placing the order in a few hours.

Price should be around $20, I will know more once the design is finished.

I purchased 3 70.2 from the GB and 2 from Terry. One from the GB could never get it to turn. I’m hoping to replace all five with the new driver.

I am interested in this driver as well.

Ok, looks like I should up the order to 20 drivers or so.