Collecting interest for a Sofirn C01 host version

Here's the shot at 2800k CCT

Since the WB is lower than the light, the beam now look cold (2800k vs 3400k). There is no signs of being green or magenta either. I'd say this is pretty neutral tint.

I would take 4 hosts.

Somebody in the C01 thread mentioned they messaged Sofirn and were able to buy some loose C01 drivers. I don’t know if that is still possible or if they used up their full stock.

Put me on the list for 2 (eager for more depending on price)
Thank you

I would take 6 hosts please (fingers crossed)

Edit :

djozz do you have any answer from Barry about a minimum number for the host to be available ?

Added to the list.

No, Barry was not clear about the host version. The only number I got was for a new batch of completed C01’s: if the right led was found and the decision for production was made, the batch would be at least 3000 pieces to make a production start-up viable. For me that also sounds like the 100 pieces C01 hosts on the list are pretty far from enough to make it into production.

Well, only those with a licence to solder, BLF membership and an idea about which LEDs to use are on the list. How not to sell 3000 lights where even the Fenix E01 is still on sale!

I think you’re right. But I guess Sofirn doesn’t mind missing out on the potential sales of this light, since they are already kept busy with several other projects that are worth a bit more.

And I think you are right too.
What Barry did say though, is that the C01 would make a good gift light for Sofirn: cheap enough to make, good publicity and a nice gadget to receive. So that may some day be the rescue for the C01.

What about an un potted c01s. We could just swap the LED ourselves. It could be part of the run of 3000?

If the 3000 ever get a go, I’m confident that a batch of say 200 hosts can be made part of it.

Sadly, while there may still be some E01’s in-stock available to buy, one of the main US distributors has confirmed (external link) that the E01 is no longer in production.

Excellent. Time for a replacement.

The epoxy keeps head and PCB together. There’s no way around glueing by some means.

I had a few C01 prototypes that had epoxy that was not cured, still the PCB was clamped pretty well in place and did not come off even after 500 twists.

Yes, the single component was sticky enough (I had one, too). I don’t expect Sofirn to mess around with something like that [again], however :smiley: .

Tried and failed. Got no answer. Maybe that person bought the whole stock? Very interesting item to equip Fenix E01s with. Those are a pain to unpot.

This is not what you guys are asking but i’m curious because the description is such broken English and it does not fit anything they currently sell?

Sofirn Ebay listing

Input voltage implies Lion and features seem like it would have an MCU, IDK.

Only just discovered this thread. :person_facepalming:

Count me in for 4 hosts \o/

Would be great with a 5mm led with smaller beam angle for a more throwy version.
I really like the throwiness of the 4000K Nichia GS LEDs in my Pak-Lite 9v flashlight.
That makes it quite usefull even at very low lumen levels.

Finally it would be great if there would be a way to fix the 5mm LED to the driver board in a non-permanent way, so it would be as easy to change 5mm LEDs as changing a P60 module.

There is very little space, a 5mm led clamp would either not fit or it will not be very robust.
Btw, soldering a 5mm led into holes in a frp board only requires very basic and standard soldering skills, it is much faster and I think that more people can do that than reflowing SMD leds and connecting led wires. Also unsoldering and swapping a led should be a pretty straighforward procedure.