Comparison of AA battery chemistries

Your curves look more scholarly, but I suppose Energizer doesn’t want to scare the children. :bigsmile:

Some people believe that including less detailed contents, makes the information easier to read. That is probably correct, but personally I often prefer more detailed information.

Nice comparison, I knew the basic differences but these graphs tell the exact story, thanks!

Great test review which shattered my notions about Alkaline batteries !
So which type of batteries are good for flashlights that are not used until emergencies like in the car’s glove compartment and those used primarily at home for power failures.

I sense there is a trade off between capacity at higher loads and shelf life. From this review the primary Lithium batteries seem like the wise choice for these applications, but they are way too expensive here for me to use them they cost like $15/4. If the Eneloop have good storage life I might just switch them all over.

Lithium is a very good choice and if you expect the batteries to last many years the price of lithium is not that bad.

2000mAh eneloop is the second choice, they are rated to hold a charge for 5 years.

From this article, it would be hard not to think about using cheap alkaline AA’s or AAA’s in remote controls as opposed to using a NIMH…

closest thing to 1.5v in a rechargeable is nizn.
the ones i had were short lived and inconsistant.
might be why they were being dumped at big lots.

the NiMH still pays for itself in a few recharges and no risk of leaking which has destroyed many devices, so imo its worth it just in preventing leaks

Alkaline are very good for low power devices and remotes are usual low power.

As usual with alkaline there is the risk of leaks.

have you tested them? At least at a guess, a brief comparison of these Nice Lithium vs the Energizer Ultimate?

Yes: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Nice%20Lithium%20AA%20UK.html

You can use this comparator to check performance against Energizer: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonAAcomparator.php

There ARE rechargeable lithium 1.5V AAs. They are 3.7V lithium-ion 14500s with a DC-DC converter to step down the voltage to 1.5V: Do Rechargeable Lithium AA Batteries Exist?

I do include them in the comparison above, they are called Kentli in the curves.
They do deliver 1.5V, but calling them 1.5V lithium rechargeable can be discussed, they need higher voltage to charge.

No love for 1.7V nickel-zinc (NiZn) rechargeable AAs? I used to use them. Yes, they have a marred reputation: They can't tolerate overdischarge, they're inconsistent from cell to cell (from poor quality assurance?), their capacity is lower than NiMH, and they self-discharge faster. But some of these complaints should be aimed at the lousy, cheap, dumb NiZn chargers that unwary buyers used. Compared to NiZn NiMH, they have lower resistance under load and higher voltage under load. In cold weather, they rival lithium primary cells, losing little capacity and voltage. They cost only $2 to $3 per AA cell. And they're extremely safe. Pair them with a proper, dedicated CCCV charger (constant-current, then constant voltage), and they're a credible alternative.

There is also the oxyalkaline battery. I think the ones I had were Panasonic but it looks like Kodak is selling them now. If I remember correct they were 1.73 volts new.