Convoy C8 Mod - The WOW Factor

i just spent an hour trying to remove the driver retaining ring from my C8, the ring is now destroyed and probably unusable. far out its in there tight! anyone know where i might be able to get a replacement?

Simon on his official aliexpress convoy store? Kiriba-ru on BLF?

awesome do you have a link to his AEX store?

Here you go buddy!

thanks mate, appreciate the help. speaking with Simon now :+1:

Nice build but You dont needed to change the MCPCB because the XP-L HI C8-s came with DTP copper MCPCBs as yours do. It is the same as in the clear one.

Ya, stock should be good MCPCB.
By the way, I weighed MCPCB to gauge quality, both KD and IO 20mm MCPCB weigh around 4g.

Very nice mod by OP.

I’m looking at doing a similar mod now, wanted to get some advice on the parts.

would this led be better than the XP-L V3

or should I stick with the v3?

also is the BLF X6 X5 driver a good combo with the above led? or would this one be better suited?

would like to get maximum output and throw

thank you

xpl-hi is the best choice for this combo.
And for driver blf a6 a17dd.
ar glas, spring bypass.
I got 128k lux with this combo.
The one thing I don’t like about it is, that a17dd steps down after 40 seconds, even if the light is not warm.

Thanks for the info Bo4ka, i will prob order the XP-L HI V3 then.

The X5/X6 (Link here) is the same as the A17DD but has the updated UI. it has an option where you can choose at what temp the light will step down or even turn temp control off. highly recommend.

I’ve done this mod already but did not bypass the springs. What kind of gain should i expect if i bypass both springs? Thanks

Great, thank you for this advice :slight_smile:

The reason why I changed the LED to a Noctigon DTP MCPCB was that Richard from RMM said the stock was not DTP and would burn up with a FET+7135 DDm driver.

Earlier it was true. But a few months now they came stock copper DTP. But only the XP-L HI. XM-L2s came still aluminum non DTP boards.

Ahh, good to know. Great how Simon continues to improve his flashlights.

Nice mod, can anyone tell me if the silver c8 on Richards website the new version ?
Looking for the black one but out of stock

can anyone tell me the difference, if there is any, between a Cree XP-L HI and a Cree XP-L HI V3?

V3 is a BIN number. If they did not write it after XP-L HI is still has just you don’t know the power level of the led.

Aaand 1000 posts reached so I will start a giveaway soon.

Congrats ZozzV6 on a thousand!

Thanks!
To stay ontopic and celebrate this tonight I will try to build a gunmetal grey C8 with XHP70. That will have a WOW effect too I think :slight_smile:
Earlier it has TA17 driver and SST40 led.
It has stainless steel bezel, AR coated lens, lighted tailcap, bypassed spring at tailcap. Now I made an OP reflector bottom opened up for the XHP70 and I want to zener mod a convoy driver and flash it with Biscotti HD to get timed stepdown. The current I want is 3,5 or 3,85A with 10 or 11x7135s. And I will use it with 2x Aspire 18350 batteries. :smiley: