Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

That’s a very good question. The L6 host would be/should be exactly the same as the production light. It is literally just the shell of the L6 unassembled. Simon uses the very same hosts to build the L6 that he sells which as you said uses a variation of the FX-30 driver and yes that 30 stands for 30mm. I would just ask Richard to confirm that detail. It could simply be a misprint. Looking at his listing I see just above he’s recommending you add a 27.5mm driver. My guess is he would be recommending his 27.5mm MTN-MAX driver and he probably just had that top of mind when he wrote it. The driver shelf should be 30mm. So in other words, please confirm with Richard but it’s most likely just a typo.

I think Richard is saying his 27.5mm Buck driver works in it. Which it does.

OK, I’ll check with Richard and see. I just happened to notice that and was curious.

Especially since this is what it says under “Specifications” of the L6 Host offered on MTN.
It plainly says the “Driver pocket is 27.5mm”. _ _ _ _ _ . MTN_CONVOY L6 HOST
If that is correct it means the factory driver, the FX-30; would not fit this host.

I cannot imagine that is correct though.

Specifications:

• 27.5mm driver pocket
  • 20mm MCPCB required
  • AR coated glass lens
  • Forward clicky switch
  • 1x/2x 26650 or 18650 batteries (not included)
  • Body Diameter: 35mm
  • Head Diameter: 64.5mm
  • Length: 178.5mm (without extension); 241mm (with extension)
  • Weight: 594g

EDIT _ 19:10 hrs.

That may well be it. But the way it is written the “Driver Pocket itself is 27.5mm”. That would exclude 30mm drivers, which comes stock in the L6.
That is why I think it must be a typo. But as is, it could confuse someone who was ordering a L6 host.

I didn't see LDO support. Am I missing something? Zener has too much parasitic drain for my taste. On a 30mm, there's plenty of room for it. I've always has dual switch support built in to Narsil when using mode sets - actually dunno how it would work in ramping mode, probably not good. Got to test it dual-mode now with brown-out enabled. Doesn't need a OTC.

Update: Just tested the latest Narsil in a JM07, dual switch light w/stock tail tactical switch -- it works pretty good, thought it would since adding brownout detection, and with no OTC. Very stable switching, Off Time memory, just like an OTC, but Off Time cap isn't needed. Mode memory works on whatever mode set you choose, independent of modes on the e-switch. The modes themselves are sync'ed, but mode memory is not.

I’m fairly certain that it’s just a slip of the keyboard and as Dale and I said, he is probably just suggesting his 27.5mm Buck driver as part of a complete package that he has to offer modders wanting to build their own L6. Knowing Richard’s work I’m sure it’s a great fit.

I simply don’t have the time to contact him and sort it out right now but please do so and report your findings. If his listing has an error I have no doubt he will resolve it ASAP.

Tom, I don’t have the time right now to give this the attention it truly deserves but I think both the work you’re doing with Narsil and the work Texas Ace is doing with his driver build are absolutely fantastic and I can’t wait to see some L6 builds with both. Cheers brother! :beer:

Interesting, I was not aware that narsil supported dual switches.

Correct, it doesn’t have an LDO, mostly because it was not designed for this light, it just happens to fit it and would work fine as a clicky driver, or as an e-switch driver where the clicky was used as a lockout. It is simply a Texas Avenger driver stretched to 30mm so that it can fit basically any light by sanding it down.

Since Narsil does support dual switches, I could adjust the layout and make a special driver for this light if there was a need for it. What is your preferred LDO? Or we could take this over to the Driver thread where it would be easier to keep track of it.

The real question is, would anyone actually need this? I personally am fine with the stock driver, I like constant current drivers whenever possible over FET drivers. Although the features of narsil are a tempting reason to swap….performance or features……that is the question….

Yeah he could be talking about his Buck Driver, but the way it is described on his site is “27.5mm is the Driver Pocket size”…. making that the max size driver that could be used in his L6 host. Probably just a typo, but could confuse someone wanting to use a stock 30mm driver.

Either way, I’ll report back when I hear something from Richard. … :+1: …. :slight_smile:

Actually I never built up an LDO driver... I know I need one though . let me see, I know I bought some a while back, think from Richard - I had plans at one point.... I got a ton projects to do... Probaly should take this over to your driver thread. To Be Continued...

I used an XHP-35 E4 1D from Richard, the HD variant with a dome, for 170.25Kcd and 3.13A at 2942.85 lumens with the half cells (4 of the 26350) at 4.21V, this was in the L2 with it’s smaller reflector. 825.22M throw is plenty for me, not being a hunter, so once again perspective comes into play with the higher lumens being of more concern. I’m sure I could slice the dome off and come close to doubling the throw, thought about it, but found this pretty much to my liking as is so I left it alone.

Soon I will try a similar set-up in the L6 and see how it compares.

Just to clarify: The 27.5mm driver does fit and work, but the 30mm drivers do as well (the "stock" driver is 30mm).

And there we have it folks, “straight from the horses mouth”; it is indeed a 30mm driver pocket in the host… :+1:
Thanks RMM!!! :wink:

That sounds like an impressive light!

Oh I would so LOVE to have Narsil on the L6 and S70!

beware of nudity!
clear L6 listed @ banggood

:)

Oh nooo :heart_eyes:

Can it be used with momentary switch?

I can not resist

Trouble shooting help needed on L6.

This L6 worked for about fine for about 10 minutes on two separate back to back nights when it first came in. Third night it would not work at all. I did not have time to fool with it because of time restraints.

A couple of days ago I got it back out and it worked for a minute then quit. I took it all apart, cleaned / inspected everything and reassembled. It would not work.
I sat it on the table and in a few minutes it just came on and worked until I cut if off. But it would not come on again. This happened a couple of time. Then it would not work at all.

I have swapped battery tubes, batteries, & tailcaps from another L6…… but it will not work.

I took the head off and applied 8.25V …. positive to driver spring, negative to driver retaining ring…. nothing.

I took driver retaining ring off to loosen driver…. again applied 8.25V…. positive to driver spring, negative to where black wire is soldered to driver. It works fine, although it seems to be on Turbo only and the side switch has no affect when pressed.

All solders are secure, all wires have continuity with no cuts or breaks in them.

When assembled everything is tight and clean…. it just will not work.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

They are currently in stock at: Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

I ordered mine 8/30 and was shipped 8/31