Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

I just received my Desert Tan light, programmed it for mode 2 and am waiting for dark.

The light is beautiful in an industrial kind of way and white wall hunting shows a really pretty 4C tint.

I usually lean toward flood-type lights and wonder if an orange peel reflector might increase the spill and widen the hot spot. I’ve got to pull out my Zebralight HI and compare these. As for now I’m excited for a new light.

I remember someone said it was a cut down version of the biscotti where it fix the problem of v1 but, less options.

Edit: never mind, seems like the UI is still the same.

I think I read somewhere here that v.2 was just a timing fix, because the frequency of v.1 is too high. I could be wrong though.

Well that fits with what I discussed with ToyKeeper a few months back. She said that the timing between mode groups in mode selection should be 2 seconds long, instead of the 1 I noticed in my torch (I didn’t say, though, that on mine, the off time to switch modes is barely a quarter of a second, which is no problem but does strikes me as short). And people were complaining it was much too fast for them and often they had to let the cycles roll back again.

Apart from the modifications on the time to switch modes (and the strobe frequency) in biscotti’s new version, were there any changes to get the lowest output mode (0,1%) even lower?
I ask this because that mode seems to be lower than previously! Maybe it has to do with the tint, but now it seems just a bit lower output (in the 0,1%).
While comparing a S2+ 8*7135 / XML2 T6-4C / OP reflector (biscotti “old” version), with other S2+ 8*7135 / XML2 U2-1A / OP reflector (new version) and with S2+ 8*7135 / XPL-HI U6-3A / SMO reflector (new version) , these last 2 seem to have a lower output on the 0,1%.
I know that it may be a tint issue, or even a battery issue, or my eyes issue :smiley: :person_facepalming: but I felt this since the first time I compared and I just wanted to know.
BTW, even if I don’t use the strobe, in the new version it is nicer :+1:

The previous version of Biscotti was resulting in output levels higher than intended e.g. 30% was more like 45%. The outputs in revision 2 should be correct.

This light is like BLF dreams have come true ;) Good to see almost everyone happy with theirs (except for some order specification mistakes). Finally a light under $20 that is close to perfect without modding (driver, LED)! Cheers

The stock interface will be a dream… when available one group of modes without strobe, without SOS or beacon but with battery check.
The anodized finish and colour is near perfect!

Black o-ring looks better

Thank you very much for the explanation stephenk. I gotta say I feel comfortable with this “lowest low”, namely for indoor use.
For outside, I guess it didn’t lost the expected power :wink:

Even not saying they are “imperfections”, I also think the silicon rubber has a different feeling and is easier to operate!
The black metal one is more classy I guess, but that pressing seems to have a bit to be improved.
For the O-ring…yeah, the black looks cool :sunglasses:
It loses the “visibility” component, even if it was a bit reduced, but it gains in style! Gonna try that in mine :innocent:

Speaking of silicon rubber boots, I wonder how a black or deep blue boot will look on a desert tan torch :sunglasses:

I also like the feel of the silicon covered switch better than the metal one. It is smoother, requires less pressure and feels more precise.
I ordered mine with the OP reflector and am happy with the larger hot spot. I won’t use the S2+ where extra throw is required, just walking, inside use etc.
On order are the 18350 battery tube and 4 Liitokala ICR 18350 900mAh battery’s.

I’m not usually a throwy kind of guy so I swapped the smooth reflector for an orange peel I had lying around. I prefer the larger and less focused hot spot now. I also traded the glow in the dark o-ring for a regular black one because my ocd kicked in and I thought it would look better. I was right. Now the carpet matches the drapes.

I did see something peculiar when I had the head disassembled. I ordered an 8*7135 and the box is marked with an 8. My concern is that the MCPCB was marked with a “4” in fine marker. Since I can’t see the other side of the driver without de-soldering, I wonder why it was marked that way.

In a dark room next to my Astrolux S1 they look similar in brightness despite the difference in tint. The head heats up pretty well, but not to an actual burning level after a minute on the highest setting. I can still hold it to my well-callused palm. The back of my hand didn’t like it all that much though. After a couple minutes it’s pretty darn uncomfortable but not dangerous. After six minutes it’s quite hot and I turned it off.

Any thoughts?

If there are 4*7135 in the outer side then there are 8 in total. For 6*7135 and 8*7135 the driver is soldered because the retaining ring doesn’t fit if there are 7135s in the outside. That level of heat sounds like 8*7135s.

D’oh! The “4” most likely stands for the 4C led I chose. Nevermind. Go about your business. Nothing to see here.

The driver is indeed soldered to the retaining ring and there are 4*7135 chips visible. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Hi everyone

Has anyone else got their tan S2+s yet? It’s a little bit of a chameleon, would love to see some more pics!

Have ordered a couple from Simon as well as the awesome accessories worth mentioning Simon has in store - headstrap, red and white diffusers, tail magnet, the case which I forgot to order, 18350 tube and extra o-rings and clips. I think you can also order OP reflectors separately if you wish.

I find that Aliexpress isn’t the fastest at shipping, and thus it may be a few weeks until many of the S2+ Desert Tans arrive in people’s hands. I’ll do a mini-review when I receive mine, including beam comparison with S2+ XM-L2 OP.

I have been a lurker here for a while but this Tan s2+ has forced me out of the darkness and into the light. I'm no flashlight expert but I am a flashaholic and an EDC nut. So when I saw this light I couldn't stand idle and miss an opportunity to ask you if you have any interest in creating a tan version of a suitable multitool to pair along the tan S2+s chararacteristics.

I'm a big fan of the Ganzo multitools despite owning a large number of Leathermans. One model in particular is a perfect match for the S2+ as it is the most pocketable full size Ganzo, extremely rugged, a great pefrormed and would look awesome with the tan s2+. It's like Ganzo and Convoy are meant to go together. Ganzo just like Simon keeps upgrading their products constantly and have made a great budget alternative to Leathermans, Gerbers and Sogs. You probably own a budget ganzo branded as something else (Lidl / Jeep / Remington / Wall mart etc)

Advanced Knife Bro who is a member here I believe has done a great vid of it here:

Here's a video of the Ganzo's sibling 201h (same pliers) kicking mid-range LT's at hard wire cutting: www.youtube.com/embed/JHGw9TF5jq8

- It was recently updated by Ganzo to carry a better set of scissors and darker shade anodized alu handles, Would anybody be interested in asking Ganzo to do a desert tan Ganzo G203?

The numbers could be there if we cross-posted this over at the MT forums where a some of us also hang out, getting the S2+ and BLF out there into the hands of more enthusiasts. The ganzo typically retails between $20 http://www.gearbest.com/survival-emergency-gear/pp_68588.html

So whaddya say, is there any interest in this?

Hi Stephen, thanks, that would be great I’m expecting mine soon too and post some pics at first chance! Can’t do much of a review myself though!