Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

This is the kind of data I can’t provide! Thanks ZozzV6 :wink:

I guess you may be right! For a walk in a dark space where more light is needed for a longer period, another model of flashlight may be better using this kind of driver. :+1:

I’ll still take my S2+ for a walk tonight and try to see what tint and beam can be more “useful” or suitable for night walks :wink:

I have a table with all my lights and one of my flashaholic friends light measurements. It contains 62 different flashlight setups. Has a lot of same lights like S2+ C8 but with different leds or currents or reflectors. Maybe I open a topic and make it readable for everyone.

How long before you’re unable to hold it in bare hand?

I’ve heard good things about the M2. The user said it’s very similar to the M1, only floodier, and the M1 already has excellent heat dissipation for its size and a good general purpose beam pattern that I love to bits for both indoors and outdoors :laughing: Worth a shot, perhaps?

I’m not got at interpreting measurements, so far, but I guess lots of friends here would be pleased to get some of those :wink:

Hum, gotta see some things of the light first, specs, reviews, videos!!
Most of my flashlights are “tube” lights, I just have 2 with a more larger head, so I don’t know if I’d take one of those, at least not now :wink:
But, being a Convoy, I guess that quality is assured whatever the choice is :smiley:

I didn’t went to the point where it is “unholdable”, I didn’t want to eventually damage it!
4 minutes and the head is ver hot, 7 minutes and the top of the tube starts to get a bit hot, and when I took the battery out (Samsung 30Q), the top was slightly warm as the rest of the cell.
I must say that the battery wasn’t fully charged when I tested it.
Also, environment conditions are not controlled. It’s just hand feeling :wink:

With 8x7135 and a 18350 (Aspire 1100mAh), the S2+ XP-L HI battery tube exceeds 50 degrees C at about 5 minutes. Takes naturally longer if you hold the light the whole time.

I find that a S2+ on 30% power is sufficient for night walks. Just use 100% when you need to see a bit further.

As I said before, I took the three S2+ for a night walk. And here’s my veredict (for me, of course)! Just my opinion!

For a night walk I would prefer the desert tan or a configuration like the one I have on it, namely the SMO reflector.
I don’t know if using a XML or XPL-HD led with a SMO reflector would make a difference, namely to get a bit of throw and a bit more of flood.
But, using a XPL-HI with the SMO reflector is a nice configuration for a night walk. It helps to focus some spots in close, medium and longer range, better than those with OP reflector.
The ones with OP are nice, of course but I realised that they would be preferable for indoor use, especially comparing with a SMO.

The only thing I’m not able to judge is if a XPL-HI of a warmer tint would be better than a neutral one for a night walk, or not.

I compared both tints (with different reflectors) and I really like the XML2 T6-4C for outside, namely in tree environment.
I juts don’t know if this tint (XML2 or XPL-HI version) would be better with the SMO.
For a more urban environment, buildings and so on, I guess a Neutral White one is better, though.

I took some pics. Sorry for the bad quality, but here you have them!
a) Desert Tan - SMO, XPL-HI U6-3A

b) S2+ - OP, XML2 U2-1A

c) S2+ - OP, XML2 T6-4C

c) vs a)

Hope it helps :wink:

Can be held indefinitely by the head by changing hands. The head stays below 50 with human heat sinking. Gets a bit uncomfortable though.

To me it has helped me a lot !!, thanks for the images, I definitely need a Sand (Tan) XP-L Hi ……

Nice beams, MascaratumB.

I really like the beam of the XP-L HI plus smooth reflector too, a very nice distinct hotspot that you can point somewhat remote. I have many triples/quads with big floody hotspots (newest one is the D4) and compared to those even with its small SMO reflector, this S2+ with XP-L HI has quite some throw, which is very good for looking around when you are outside.

Curious: what is that dome in your pictures?

@ maukka
I guess changing hands is a good option. The light doesn’t go to the “boiling” point, the aluminum in the body absorbs the heat progressively towards the tail. So, it juts becomes uncomfortable not impossible. If this was a Stainless Steel…it would be another story :smiling_imp:
My question about temperature is: those are temperatures that the components of this flashlights can hold? Even with a full charged battery (that I suppose generates more energy and more heat)?

@ Trevi_lux
Glad it did, despite the not so good quality of images :wink: Human eye here is better to assess the beauty and range of the beam! More than that the Tan S2+ is really gorgeous in the hand :heart_eyes: Even in the darkest night!!!

@ djozz
Yup, this one, not being a thrower like the C8s, has a really good throw and you can point it to a far place and get to see what is there!

I realized another thing meanwhile! Despite the SMO can be better for outside environment, those with OP are too, but for darker places.
Yesterday, despite the place where I took the photos being more dark and green, I walked in a more urban area and that place also had some “orangish” lights around.
So, a tight spot from SMO is good to see and point among the “luminous noise” of the city.
But if I was in a place without surrounding lights, the flood of the OP can be very appreciated as well, because we also need the close range.

I will also swap reflectors - XML2 in SMO and a XPL-HI in a OP - to see what configuration I prefer the most and if there are any significant differences when using the XPL on OP or not.

About the dome…I guess I’ll make a “Guess the place here:wink:
It is the “Pavilhão Rosa Mota”, placed in the old Crystal Palace Gardens, in Porto, my city and Best European Destination! Take a look :wink:

Easily. The Acebeam X45 for example heats its head above 90°C. LEDs themselves can handle junction temperatures up to about 150°C.

Here’s a 6 volt Nichia 144AM die from above at 3 amps after about an hour with a pound of aluminum underneath:

Spot 2 is the MCBPCB, Spot 3 is the heatsink right next to it.

Nice :slight_smile: I really asked because I don’t know these kind of things, so I’m glad that it is “safe” (for us and for the components) to use it even with the (high) temperatures it generates!

I guess I’ll abuse the lights a bit more from now on :smiley:

Thank you maukka :+1:

Well, the LED may handle that kind of temperature, but junction temperatures that high aren’t tested by Cree LM80 tests (they only go up to 105 C). I’d expect drastically less useful life-time at temperatures and currents that high.

If the head is 90 C, then the LED junction is probably well over 120 C, and you’re probably also over-driving the LED.

That said, you’ll probably buy an even brighter light that comes out next year. So, the LED might last the few dozen or hundred hours you’ll run it that hot.

And, certainly at the low price of an S2+, I don’t think it’s worth worrying about. (And we’re not talking boiling-hot anyway.)

@MascaratumB,
Also you may read this post about heating up the S2+ at 2.75A, your hands are the first to worry about, and long after that the led and electronics :smiley:

That is a very nice building, it looked fifties style in your picture and yes it appears to be from 1954. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the test djozz! I’ve already seen the post, but only now I read it carefully!

Eheh, I guess I’ll never have to worry about a Convoy getting hot as much as I got worried when I put a battery in inverted position in my Manker E11 (that has no reverse polarity protection)!
That, ladies and gentlemen, was HOT :disappointed:
Only accidentally would I leave a S2+ ON for a long time, and it wouldn’t be in my hands for sure ! That’s one of the reasons why I like these flashlights, I know I can trust them! And my use of them, of course :smiley:

About the dome, it has been one of our city ex-libris (just like Amsterdam’s arc of “Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum”)!
It needs some restoration, but it has been hard to make them happen… Still, it is a great building with a very pleasant view from it gardens, towards the city and the sea! :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for doing this. Very helpful.

This new S2+ DT is tempting.

Glad it did :smiley: :+1: