Convoy S2 Long Range Thrower Mod

Oooooo, I’m definitely subbing to this!

Subscribed

Works for reflector lights too. :wink:

For the reflective dome to work with the 50mm F lens, I bored the aperture out to 2.2mm which is just enough to let the center of the LED hit every part of the lens. That gives an angle of 24 degrees (Wavien apertures give 60 degrees) so I’m still recycling a lot of light.

I thought he XPE2 Torch could handle DD until I looked at djozz’s invaluable charts (thanks!) and realized I’m not going to get the output I was hoping for :frowning: . So, I opened up the hole in the pill’s retaining ring to fit a Convoy 2.8A driver (tail cap reads 2.4A) and hoped for the best.

It puts out about 75000 lux which is probably a lot for such a small light but it doesn’t light up a large enough area at 1/4 mile like the larger aspheric does at over 1/2 mile with the same beam angle.

Time to swap it out for an XPG2 and run it DD. From side to side, the illuminated width will increase 40% and hopefully, lux will increase significantly.

I ordered a bunch S2s from Fasttech during their CNY sale to play with so I decided to leave this one the way it is for future comparison. Also, with the prospect of Cree creating a line of HI LEDs, I’m not dedoming anymore.

I managed to get over 80000 lux by using a thicker insulator and tightening up the pill a bit more. Compared to my 1250000 lux light, it’s pretty whimpy but still able to do a cloud bounce. S2 on the right:

Heheh. Nice work.

I only understand a fraction of what you are doing but I love it. Cloud bounce? Seriously?

A Wavien collar takes quite a bit of fiddling with to focus and then attach so it doesn’t move. That’s why they cost so much but the finished build is usually set in stone (actually epoxy) and future repairs/upgrades won’t be easy.

The barrel of the S2 is almost the exact same diameter as a 20.5mm Noctigon and my light recycling reflector is an exact fit so it centers itself almost perfectly. The base of my reflector sits just inside the the solder pads and holds the star down just like the stock reflector so after a simple mod to the pill, it’s a straightforward drop-in eliminating the solder joint and wire artifacts as seen with the Wavien. It only needs to be shimmed up or down and tightened just like any standard reflector. To revert back to stock, just remove the recycling reflector and put the stock parts back in.

Since the S2 has a constant diameter, it isn’t hard to adapt any size head/condenser lens and even make it a zoomie (with limitations). In fact, I plan to fit a 78mm lens for comparison with my Wavien thrower.