Convoy S2+ SMO

Thanks. I’ll grab a couple on my next order. I think we need a comparison with S2+ OP, S2+ SMO, and S2 SMO, but all with same setup and emitter. I personally don’t think there is gonna be much difference between the S2+ reflectors.

I just took these two pics in my backyard… the light is a stock Convy S2+ with an XML U2 and 6*7135 - first image is the SMO, second is the OP. It is hard to tell in the crappy photos, but the SMO does illuminate the distant cacti a little better, but for walking around the desert at night I will take the OP

SMO

OP

For throw the S2 reflector is going to be better without a doubt. Even the OP version of the S2 will be a significant improvement simply because it is so much deeper.

The best throwing reflector setup I have found for the tube lights is actually the S6 reflector as it is designed for an XP sized LED and has the tightest hot spot beating even the SMO S2 reflector in my tests. My tests were all with an XP-L HI LED.

Now I did get a bit more throw out of a properly focused TIR lens in an S2+ but that is still being dialed in.

Overall the S2+ SMO is a great upgrade and combined with the XP-L HI it will make for an improved hot spot in the tiny reflector. Well worth the few bucks for those that prefer SMO reflectors.

I thought the reflectors were same in the S2 and S6??? At least that was what Simon told me. The SMO that I have in my S2 (bought from Simon) is designed for a XP sized LED too.

For throw, no question the SMO and OP reflector for the S2 will be much better. But the spill in the S2+ OP reflector is significantly larger.

The S2 OP reflector is setup for an XM LED, at least on the ones I got from fasttech awhile back. The S6 is setup for an XP. It makes sense, he sells the S2 with an XM-L2.

The SMO reflectors might have been setup for an XP actually, been awhile since I messed with them.

Looking back over my numbers the S6 OP reflector did beat the S2 SMO reflector in throw slightly but it had a bit less OTF lumens. This suggests a slight change in focus point and as such the results should not be treated as being 100% accurate.

Basically the difference between them is too close to call.

You will indeed get more spill with the S2+ reflector, this is part of why I prefer TIR’s now days, you trade spill for a larger more intense hot spot. I find this is more useful for me to be able to clearly see a larger area then kinda see a massive area. Everyone has their preference though.

I have never seen this reflector (XP bases OP for the S6). Where did you get it from? I can’t find it on Simon’s store page.

I purchased one of all the S series lights awhile back when no one could explain the differnce between them so I could see for myself. So I have one of everything laying around lol.

The S6 reflector is not for sale separately that I know of. Too bad as I would consider using them if they were, they are my favorite reflector for the S series for sure.

Thanks for the info Texas-Ace…I think I’ll buy a S6 to try it out.

TA, are these the reflectors you’re looking for? They also have the insulators/gaskets, too.

Simon

Mtn Elec

I do love my S6 with a smooth reflector. Had a dedomed XP-G2 in it, but recently swapped it out for a 219C. And I just bought about 5 S2’s from Simon with smooth reflectors (he’ll do that upon request, same with the S6) and a batch of XP-L HI emitters from Richard. Can’t wait for those hosts to come in!

Mmm, recently posted this on an S4 related thread I found recently:

0K, now that this topic is not, I'd like to h34r from ya.

Cheers ^:)

Sadly no, those are the S2 SMO reflectors. The S6 reflectors are a similar design but OP and have a bit different setup on the bottom.

Those are still great reflectors though and for an option you can buy separately the best reflector available that I have tried. I just prefer the beam of the S6 over it personally. The OP smooths it out for an EDC light making it more useful IMHO.

I only prefer SMO on thrower lights really, or lights with enough lumens it doesn’t matter.

Ahhh, I misread. Not sure why I thought you were looking for the SMO ones. :person_facepalming:

I would bet Simon would sell them to you separately if you msg him.

Excuse me… Ahem.

I recently got an S2+ with the new offer of a Nichia 219C, and it came with the SMO reflector. The beam pattern, thanks to the smaller (but domed) die, is strikingly similar to that of its bigger sister, the Convoy M1 (loaded with a domed XM-L2 and an OP reflector). The only differences are that the S2+’s spill is a bit fainter, the spot is more defined and there’s less of a corona, as expected of a SMO vs. OP comparison. If I remember, I’ll post some beamshots.

And since this thread is effectively necro’d again, I’m gonna kindly request any crazy bugger that tries the S2+ SMO with an SST20 to post beamshots or at least tell us of the results. It would be cool to know how it measures up against the “old” XP-L HI.

Yeah, especially since the Convoy S2+ has the SST-20 5000k available.

That would mean this is the furthest throwing stock Convoy S2+ available.

I have silly question, but I know that OP is ‘orange peel’, and SMO is for smooth reflector, but what does SMO stand for? ‘silver mirror ?’. Thank you.

Silver Mirror Oreo :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, it’s just a shortening of SMOOTH. Half the letters, half the time spent typing it :smiley: