Convoy S3 from fasttech - pill is now integrated aluminum?

11.58mm, including the part of reflector which extrudes a bit to sit on the plastic cover of the emitter.

I always mounted optics without plastic cover. The optics is around 13.5mm height, could someone check the new host depth?

Since the TIR doesn't have that extra bit on it, the dimension needed is from the front face of the reflector to the bottom surface that sits on the insulator around the led.

Which TIR? The ones with the white frame won't be focused correctly without the holder. In fact they're designed to locate on the LED substrate itself, but focus better if you add a ~.030" spacer.

http://www.fasttech.com/p/1574902

depth 1 (from the edge of the body down to the star): 14.25mm
depth 2 (from the edge of the body down to the shelf on which the star is residing): 15.57mm
depth 3 (from the edge of the body to the dome of the XML2): 11.33mm (approximately)
depth 4 (from the edge of the body to the plastic insulator of the emitter level 1): 12.96 (approximately)
depth 5 (from the edge of the body to the plastic insulator of the emitter level 2): 12.35 (approximately)

edit: the width of the tube at the emitter end is cca 20.9mm

What driver are u using?

Star fw
Nanjg105c 8x7135

So is the head now separate from the body? It's got to be to get a driver in there somehow, right?

Yes, the head can be separated. Was it not like that before?

Yes, the head can be separated. Was it not like that before?

No. The original S3 is a "unibody" design. Just the small silver bezel unscrews.

Today the postman (-woman) delivered the Convoy S3 Host I’ve ordered the 8th of Feb. @Banggood. I was very pleased to have received still the old design with brass pill as pictured (titanium grey):

The delivery to Germany was very quick this time, it pays off to spend some extra for the “direct mail” option.
One question:
If you use TIR optics (I’ve got some with my red S2+ from Simon) do you put them behind the (glass-)lens or should the lens be replaced together with the reflector?

s3 was the first, or among the first hosts I ever received, so I didn’t know much at that time so considered this a flow.

in the meantime this came to my knowledge:

brass has much less heat conductivity
brass removable pill makes it easier to assemble and solder stuff, but transfers somewhat less heat to the body of the host. Or not, but it’s difficult to test this.
it can be pain in the arse to assemble the host without the removable pill, but I don’t do it 2 times per day anymore.

Does anyone know if a 8 x 7135 Qlite will fit with no problems under the driver retaining ring of the new S3?

Yes, have a bunch of them

Remove the lens. The TIR optics replace both the glass lens and reflector.

optically, glass lens is not needed. However it will provide water resistance that TIR will not. The TIRs I have, are not water resistant, not the same diameter and not smooth surface.