Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

If I’m allowed ….

Only if we don’t take a bath :smiley:

And that is why…

:smiley:

And to keep aliviating this (but not to get out of the topic, cause the numbers of real people dying is still growing…) here’s something that made me laugh :smiley:
Spoiler alert: “…´cause there’s no such thing as Budweiser disease!”

Have fun, and stay safe folks :wink:

I’d rather have a bottle in front of me, then a frontal lobotomy !

We aren't in total lock down here and it may not happen so my wife and I spend a few hours everyday having a picnic by our secret little waterfall about 10 min walk from our house. For years we have never seen anyone there so we use it as our special place. As far as I know, it's still virus free! Made a short vid about 10 days ago. It's early spring, colors are dull, but it always feels happy and peaceful. https://flic.kr/p/2iJjBRK

nice!

I had to venture out into what seemed like a ghost-town today. Sheer bliss with so few cars out there.

Was expecting a FedEx package at work, where, uh, nobody is anymore, as we’re all working from home now. Soooo, no one to sign for a package, nor even answer the door.

Okay, so I go to the FedEx site with tracking number, click on [manage delivery], only nothing happens. Tried 3 different browsers, so it looks like their site is broken.

I call customer service to ask, and am told by a robot that I can’t change anything, only the seller can, and pretty much get hung-up on. So I call back, lie, say I am the seller. :laughing: Then I get told I can’t change anything because the account is “restricted”(??), and can’t be changed.

Ummm, okay, no one’s there, all I want to do is either have it sent to my house, or keep it at the depot and I can go pick it up. Nope, nope, and nope. Sooooo, after they make 3 delivery attempts, then I can go pick it up from the depot? Nope, it gets sent back to the shipper. Are you f’n kidding me?!?

Wellp, I get a “delivery exception” email… with instructions that I can pick it up in person after 7! Wtf?!? After all that, being denied outright, I get an email telling me I can do exactly what I wanted to do in the first place?? Arrgh.

So I go, wait about 20min while they do a 1-at-a-time thing in the building to keep out the plague. I show the email with tracking number, ID to show that I’m actually me, and walk out with the goodies.

Was so nice, though, the desolation, just felt like driving around aimlessly, especially after being boxed up for so long. I almost felt like The Omega Man.

At least people were keeping their “social distance” whilst waiting.

Niiiiice!!! Lucky!

Dude,
That is Zen!

Would make a great sleep machine loop.
Jealous.

Nice place…. enjoy!

Shocks! Pegs!

Yeah, thanks everyone. I'm really happy a lot of you still love nature as much as I do. The video was shaky because I was testing 4K on my smart phone and it doesn't have EIS at 4K. The amount of oxygen that comes out of that area is just unreal. As soon as you walk in it feels like another planet. There is huge waterfall a few minutes up from there, but when I tried to get there at this time of year it didn't go well and I fell in 3 feet of icy cold water and gave up until it is more reachable.

Such settings are sought out because of the negative ion air.

I agree brad, negative ions have positive effects :wink:
I think the smells and sounds do too…

that made me smile, thanks

shaky cause its real :slight_smile:

Here is a December 2018 article on the life of viruses on surfaces, something that I have wanted to know since I get Amazon and Fed-Ex deliveries. I do know about the 24 hour cardboard/3 day plastic and metal stuff.

The article is encouraging and I guess the basic thrust is displayed in this paragraph. “”Because flu viruses don’t often last beyond nine hours, Greatorex’s work suggests public spaces like classrooms, offices and kitchens that are not populated at night will usually be free of contagious flu viruses the next morning. But for those who want to be more proactive, Auwaerter recommends sanitizing surfaces periodically with wipes or other chemicals.“”

“How long do cold and flu viruses stay contagious on public surfaces?”
PBS News Hour

Excerpts: “”Before you isolate yourself inside your home and scrub every surface in sight, you should know that these pathogens don’t actually last for days or weeks outside the body, as commercials for some cleaning products might suggest. That’s because cold and flu viruses, despite their ferocity inside our warm bodies, are structurally wimpy and cannot bear the harsh conditions of the dry, outside world.“”

“”Because they aren’t actually living entities, using terms like “live” or “survive” to describe viruses outside the body can cause confusion, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.
“People say, ‘Well [a virus] can live on a doorknob for four days,’” Fauci said. “Well, maybe you can isolate it and grow it in culture by swabbing a doorknob, but that doesn’t mean that it’s infectable for four days.”“”

“”In a 2011 study, her team took two strains of influenza A and analyzed how long they remained infectiousness on a variety of common surfaces. After nine hours, viable viruses were no longer found on most non-porous metal and plastic surfaces, such as aluminum and computer keyboards. On porous items, like soft toys, clothes and wooden surfaces, viable viruses disappeared after four hours.’’”

“”Because flu viruses don’t often last beyond nine hours, Greatorex’s work suggests public spaces like classrooms, offices and kitchens that are not populated at night will usually free of contagious flu viruses the next morning.“”

>““classrooms, offices and kitchens that are not populated at night will usually free of contagious flu viruses the next morning.”“

Until the people arrive

The air they breathe, is the Primary source of the coronavirus spreading…

facemasks are the most effective way to limit spread, in shared airspaces

overnight touch surfaces in empty rooms, are not primary sources of transmission

There is widespread concern on how long the virus lasts on various surfaces, the mention of the virus laden room probably being safe for surface contact the next day was to illustrate that the virus doesn’t stay deadly for long on surfaces.

A couple of newer studies have popped up, showing the effectiveness of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin used in combination.

(1) A more extensive French study (than the first one), involving 80 patients: https://techstartups.com/2020/03/27/

[quote] In conclusion, we confirm the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine associated with azithromycin in the treatment of COVID-19 and its potential effectiveness in the early impairment of contagiousness [/quote]

(2) And a smaller study conducted at the Dept of Biostatistics & Epidemiology (Massachusetts). Note the simple 3-colored line graph on page 4.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.22.20040949v1.full.pdf

From the conclusions:

[quote] . . . . this analysis does suggest further studies of HCQ-AZ combination therapy should be prioritized with great haste [/quote]

Yes! It can get transmitted through the air!

The whole logic of CDC saying respiratory protection is only effective for health care workers but not general public (including hospital staff not directly caring for COVID-19 patients) does not make sense, especially when it is proven that wearing respiratory protection will reduce the chance of contracting respiratory viruses.

The U.S. National Institutes of Health just confirmed that COVID-19 stays airborne through aerosol for 3 hours.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-study/new-coronavirus-can-persist-in-air-for-hours-and-on-surfaces-for-days-study-idUSKBN2143QP

Here is further proof that viral transmissions can be spread through the air. This is just one study that shows influenza, a similar respiratory viral infection can be spread through exhaled infectious aerosols, (viral particles exhaled simply by breathing, talking, singing, or via coughing). These micron sized particles can remain suspended in enclosed spaces and also carried by ventilation systems, which potentially expose everyone who breathes in this same air, such as in stores, fitness centers, hospital and medical clinic waiting areas, churches, schools, concerts, buses, airports, airplanes, and so on. Flu virus and COVID-19 are both about 0.12 micron size.

The Sars Coronavirus in 2003 was found to be transmitted through building mechanical ventilation systems.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0668.2004.00317.x
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15737151

Europe even has a guide on how to operate building HVAC systems to prevent the spread of COVID-19

Until someone can explain why SARS Coronavirus and Influenza is spread through exhaled breath and through building ventilation systems, and Sars Coronavirus 2 (COVID-19) cannot, I would say we should play it safe especially in enclosed spaces. China asked everyone to wear mask and their success in getting this contained is proof they aren’t simply a bunch of idiots. The real reason I see for the different guidance between the US and China is that there is a severe mask shortage in the US whereas China had or could produce enough to meet demand.

Nice video but most of studies and graphs in video are based on wearing N95 respirator, which now in most countries we can’t find anymore. They’re only available in hospitals for medical care workers. So it is interesting to see similar studies for surgical mask or regular diy mask.

Some of us may be a little guilty of coronavirus statistics! Even though the virus itself never bothered me, I sure did look at worldometer.com way more that I should have.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2020/03/197_286947.html

I wish I had that nice place nearby