CPF banned me (Rant)

Thought police have arrived :smiley:

Cpf sucks. I’m just there for vinh. All the cool kids are over here.

I think it’s more of a question of preventing BLF from shrinking. I’m not alarmed yet, but unfortunately we have lost a few users that got tired of the insults and fighting that were erupting here. To a large degree those problems were instigated by a few malicious users that were stirring up trouble on purpose, and it tended to happen unbeknownst to me in big threads that I wasn’t closely following. Now that those troublemakers are gone, things seem to be a lot more pleasant around here, so let’s all make a concerted effort to keep it that way. We need to be particularly careful with this sort of thread, which, although not malicious in its intent, tends to foment a lot of negativity that could bring out the worst in some users.

But this type of discussion and not being so nazi on freedom of speech is what brings me to BLF.

The admins here are more chill and let a certain level of mischief to happen which is the opposite in CPF, unfortunately but fortunately

I think BLF is not growing because the trend now is reddit. Forums are more old school. I personally prefer forums, but I am the minority for my generation.

True, but what suxks about reddit, is short term posting. Here, we can continue talking on a thread for ages. On reddit, your post is old news in less than 2 days.

@trailhunter, you know what’s even worse?

You can’t necro threads, which is immensely helpful here on BLF.

I still have an account over on CPF and piddle around there from time to time. But it feels “old” somehow. A very strong core of participants are veterans of the early LED days and are hard core supporters of the old time premium brands and high end custom light makers. Lots of heavy bias. You come around talking about a new BLF project release and get yawns. You exclaim about a recent NOS find of an old Surefire E2E Executive, and you’ll get a bunch of enthusiasm. These days I find BLF more dynamic, fresh, and interesting.

There’s three things I’m thinking that could have caused them to delete my post and ban me:

1) I mentioned “the other forum”. I did not say BLF but I’m pretty sure any flashaholic know what I was referring to.

2) Shockli’s post is a promotion post offering $2 off for purchase through Amazon, which I actually took advantage of when it was posted on BLF. Maybe CPF don’t like any kind of vendor promotions without their approval. Who knows.

3) I posted very detailed test results, which I praised Shockli’s 1000mah as the new king of 14500 and CPF moderator thought I was pretending to be a neutral customer/member posting fake data for “personal profit”. Because I don’t often post on CPF besides in Vinh’s threads, they don’t really know me as someone that constantly post these kinds of test results/comparisons for all sorts of flashlight related products.

Anyways I’m not here to get people to hate or leave CPF. In fact, now that I realize my ban is only for a month, I plan to continue participating in Vinh’s subforum discussions at CPF. I just needed to rant a little

i thought another issue with CPF is the “B” in BLF
somehow they don;t like the idea of ‘budget’ lights
possibly the thought goes, they get sponsored by the un-B type companies somehow

i used to go and read them now and then, i have made a couple posts, but there was never any compelling reason to stay involved with them, to me

right now i would guess it;s been 2 months since i bothered to go looking at their posts and whatnot

wle

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
Good.

I can imagine the meltdown elsewhere this will cause. Perhaps they can get together there and create yet another cheap light with shitty features and buggy programming to help their fee-fees.

Man, I love that rules are enforced here and the sanity that brings.

Post #1000 for me on CPF

Rasher — The elsewhere you speak of has advanced flashlights tremendously —most likely benifitted many of the lights you own —

Could be. My corollary on that is that most of the /r/flashlight users at least have an account here too, and some of them are very active on both. And therefore, to use TK’s description, I think that some of the ‘toxicity’ that occasionally creeps into BLF comes from the Reddit culture, which tacitly or even overtly promotes offensive behavior.

Whut’s a “reddit”?

Naw, I tried it once, trying to follow along was confusing at best, dumped it.

CPF is just jealous because BLF has more throw and more flood, and way more candelas.

I don’t know what reddit is, never looked at it. But I feel like somewhere along the line CPF blueit.

I had almost 1000 post over there, I just got tired of the way they responded to new people just asking a simple question.
It wouldn’t take but a few minutes of typing to help someone but the norm was A link and the words “Go read”.
Then the uncalled for deleting of helpful links and the banning of members who didn’t agree with there opinion.
Mostly had to do with either you referred certain manufactures or the link wasn’t allowed.
I saw too many good people mistreated there, I just couldn’t take it anymore.
Switched over to here and I’m very proud to be apart of this great forum.
There seems to be nothing we can’t do when all the members come together and share ideas and discuss opinions, finally in the end coming together to make a great product with the name BLF in it. :+1:
SKV89 it’s not the first time I have saw this happen and probably with a high probability not the last. You where just trying to help and no one wanted to hear it.
I had links deleted before that directly answered the question being ask but because the manufacture I linked wasn’t on the payroll it got deleted. While paying manufactures links where allowed. I guess I didn’t understand the rules exactly.
That’s about all I have to say about that, Glad I found BLF.

CPF never ceases to amaze me in terrible ways… we need more forums like BLF that don’t have crazy mods. Thanks sb! :+1:

You have been doing an AMAZING job of keeping BLF friendly and well moderated SB! :+1:
I am involved in many other forums outside the flashlight & lantern interests, (Search & Rescue, survival, etc) and even moderate 2 others,but i still see BLF as one of the smoothest and positive communities on the net i been involved with, and I always enjoy it here the most. I don’t think its shrinking at all, While we may have lost a few members by either going dormant, running out of flashlight-buying money or other life’s reasons, I know at least we gained many new members interested in the LT1 project recently here, as did the other great BLF custom projects have gained publicity and brought members in. :smiley:

Very true, very true.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words! I’ll accept the complements on behalf of the entire forum. I take my moderating responsibilities here seriously, but at the same time it’s only a small part of the solution. Many thanks to all of the friendly and helpful users that share their knowledge and even organize the major projects that BLF has come to be known for. It’s much appreciated!

Your gentle admin method helps us to subdue ourselves and refocus on the flashlight stuff, which makes this more of a friendly community about flashlight topics, without drifting off too far into the forum/internet heat.