Cree XHP70 up to 4022 Lumens and XHP50 up to 2546 lumens - Multi-die leds.

Looks like Cutter has (had?) them, but it’s currently on back-order. http://cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1524

[ECHO]

Mountain electronics has them.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=432

I dont know for sure, but Cutter may not be restocking those. I tried to order some a couple weeks ago and Rosie said "we no longer have the copper boards, we now use aluminum direct thermal path".

Just got notification that my XHP50 from LEDDNA is in my mailbox. Hopefully I’ll get to play with it tonight.

They track it for you and let you know when it’s delivered. Wish they all did that!

I had ordered an XP-L from them too, but it didn’t get tracking info. The XP-L just got here yesterday, even though it was ordered 2 weeks before the XHP50.

To be clear, LEDDNA didn’t technically notify me, I use an app that follows all of my tracking numbers and alerts to any status changes.

I got emails telling me when it shipped, telling me it was out for delivery, and telling me it had been delivered.

No apps, emails from LEDDNA, ordered on Jan 23rd, received on Feb 4th.

Interesting. I got maybe 3 email updates, but none since it was shipped.

I’ve got 4 XPL’s and an XPH50 coming. The quad is going on a 20 mm copper board under a Khatod 25mm optic. The pins don’t fit but led centers are the same and being a much deeper optic the focus and mix are better. It’s going into a DIY brass 26650 dive light with an FET driver. The “50” will go on the other pill I made for last years contest light with a Zener mod qlite. Not sure what top end for that one yet.

Now we just need a 32mm 3 x XM Noctogon for the next generation of flame throwers.

We currently have the MKR/XHP board in redesign and are trying to work out the best DTP option, be it ALU or CU, we will most likely have both but going to be in March

Cheers

Mark

Ahh, thanks. Didn’t check there, silly of me.

I’d just like to add: On the trace resistance issue.

If you are stuck with the 6v/12v sinkpads and want to run high amps @ 6v. Consider sanding off the dielectric coating on the traces and adding extra solder to the tracks. I was able to reduce overall resistances down to a third of what they where on the stock board that way.

Even a thin coating of solder will greatly increase the conductive crosssection and drop resistances along the trace.
It’s also easy to bridge the positive traces across with solder close to the pad and eleminate the long loop that way, looks a bit of a mess and there may be reflector clearance issues to consider in a flashlight. But it’s worth a try. :slight_smile:

What a great idea. I see that technique used a lot on high current sections of power supply boards etc. So it is a valid technique that is actually used in production. In our case, as you say, it is important to be sure there is no clearance issues.

Thanks for the tips. May I ask what temp setting you have the hot air station on?

Jay, I got the Sinkpad samples in, now I can redo the test on the XHP70. But not this weekend, I'm away with friends to somewhere in the belgian Ardennes (I hope it is dark out there :-) )

For 6V probably better and easier to just use a DTP XM star. For 12V it would be better to go to a larger star size to get room for wider traces. Hopefully Maxtoch will do something here. Still, I can just see someone stuffing one of these on a 10mm SinkPad into a Solitaire with a couple 10180’s. Actually makes a nice option for Minimag mods for those not wanting to shorten the tube but would likely need a lower duty cycle to prevent slagging.

Edit- just looking at those Sinkpads they could easily have doubled or tripled the width of those traces and added another set of 6V jumpers to eliminate the loop around the 1206 pads. Maybe in the next iteration.

I have the XHP70 6V stars now and the leds should arrive next week. Hopefully, I will have a light ready within two weeks from today (02/06/15). It will be a multilpe XHP70 light, so who knows how that will look.

To me, the 6V Sinkpad stars don't look much better than the 12V. The traces are bigger, but still smaller than you would see on a typical Maxtoch or Noctigon star.

Do you think the MK-R Noctogon is a better option for the XPH 70 than SinkPad for that reason?

I'm going by what I see with the MT-G2 Noctigon. I would suspect the XHP70 Noctigon will be similar and the traces hopefully will be as big as the MT-G2. I don't know that for sure. I have always felt the Sinkpad mcpcbs were second to the Noctigon and Maxtoch.

Of course, when you look at the size of the wires going to the dies, (which are only designed for nominal amps), then the traces really shouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunantely we can’t get in there to beef those up :wink:

It’s all cumulative when it comes to resistance so if you want to make sure as much voltage as possible arrives at those bond wires then every part of the circuit chain leading up to and away from the led is important.

Now that you mention it I’m actually curious how much of the higher Vf we see in the XM-L2 vs the XM-L is actually down to only having two bond wires instead of three.
Makes you wonder.

Also Luminus are liberally draping bond wires all along their dies and they seem to enjoy a fairly low vF in comparison to Cree’s offerings. Who knows maybe it is mostly down to something as simple as that.

I couldn’t resist, you knew I was going to didn’t you Linus? :stuck_out_tongue:

3.3Vf at 10A? Cree should pay attention…

Only TWO?