Cree XHP70 up to 4022 Lumens and XHP50 up to 2546 lumens - Multi-die leds.

If you can calculate the boost efficiency that would be very useful information :slight_smile:

I’m glad that I ordered one of these.

If he is the elephant in the room, it’s only because of the cost of those drivers and the fact that he has not come up with anything pushing more than 6 amps. In fact, I think only one will do 6 amps, but between the diameter of the drivers and the cost, it’s prohibitive. They won’t fit in many of the lights we buy. Some of the bigger lights, yes, but not many of the smaller (20mm and less), diameter driver pockets. I like George’s drivers and I know they are made well, but it’s just too much to put into a light, at least for me. I am sure some others can afford it.

For anyone not familiar with George's drivers, here is a link to his page showing a comparison of his drivers, with details about voltages and amperages.

Well, after giving up on NiMH batteries and throwing in two 18350 Li-ions, the light is brighter and pulling a little higher amps, but I cannot get rid of the donut with reflector placement. I think I will end up selling this light at a very low cost and see if anyone else wants to play with it. I will stick to MT-G2 for now, till there are some leds in the 5000k range and till some Noctigons come out, or better yet, Maxtoch. Once all that is available, I think I will do two Maglites, one with MT-G2 5000k and one with XHP70 5000k and both with the 9 amp zener driver, with the stock LED reflector and see which one comes out king. I can't do lumens measurements and I really don't care anyhow. All I care about is how the beam looks to me and how bright I perceive it to be. That's my only concern. I have a pair of MKNE IMR 26650 now, that should be great for the test.

Do you know of any 6AA hosts, i figure it should be good for a 6V LED (i’m not into very high amps)

Not really. The one I have came from Lowe's. It's a Lux-Pro light.

Well from these early reports it seems to be about what I was expecting. Great output with the fairly heavy disadvantage (depending on your application and tolerance) of the multidie dark cross.
I’m quite sensitive to donut or other artefacts in beams even when out and about at night, so I try to avoid lights with that “feature”. It’s also slightly counter intuitive that the very center of the hotspot that you aim to illuminate something isn’t actually the brightest part of the beam.

How is the tint variation based on beam angle? I realize these are very cool emitters and thus aren’t going to exhibit too much visible variation but would you say subjectively these basically emit light like an XML2?
This should be the new king of multi emitter flood lights though, looking forward to seeing some insane small form factor lumen chuckers featuring these emitters.! :slight_smile:

The 5000K MT-G2 is just gorgeous in it’s output. I’m an addict on those myself.

It might be possible that a wavien collar would help eliminate the black cross? Don't know.

i think it will make it even worse that problem and also lowering total output considerably making nul the only advantage this type of led seems to have.
a frosted TIR I think its a good type of optic for this led. 2, 3 or even with 4 places will be even better application .

I wonder how it would take to being de-domed? Or sanding the dome? (sanding the dome with 1000 grit paper leaves it diffuse, a very similar effect to an orange peel reflector…discovered accidentally on a slightly damaged MT-G2 dome)

Um, for the record the XHP70 doesn’t particularly like having it’s dome sanded with 800 grit paper. While it does improve the beam profile, the smoke kinda gets in the way.

And, well, also for the record…it doesn’t do well with de-doming in the hot method. Perhaps gasoline. But I can say that the dies appear to be 4 XM-L2 dies and if you get most of the phosphor off they make a killer blacklight.

Well, it's like all the other multi-die leds. It's for total lumens in a larger area and with a diffuser of some type, be it a TIR or frosted lens, or a heavy OP smaller short reflector. It's not for flashlights with any kind of throw, but it should make a good floody light. Imagine an SRK with three of these... Well, that and a lot of extra heat sinking.

Dale? How many did you kill?

i am wondering how a XHP50 would do in a maglite. are there any XHP50’s tested?

yes an srk type of flashlights should benefit most from this led. driven with today standard of srk should benefit from higher lumen output. driven with ususal lumen we have today in srk should benefit from longer runtime. whatever path a moder chose, he or she will see easy benefits in one form or another compared to traditional xml. the srk will be more flody with less throw.

I don’t know of anyone doing it yet.

I only killed the one, have a second one that I’ll put in the Shadow JM26.

I put an MT-G2 Q0 on the 31mm MAXToch copper mcpcb made for an XM-L, needed that large diameter. She works! Nice beam, nice color, cells are charging so I can see how much has been lost. lol

It’ll be a much nicer light with the MT-G2 I think. But then, I’m addicted to the big softies…

Edit: How often is one disappointed with 3777 lumens? lol The MT-G2 in this Olight M3X Triton is making 3777.75 at start, with a low of 5.9 lumens. Better, the beam is beautiful as is the color. Works for me!

Nope, that’s not going to work for me!
Unless of course you seriously expect me to take my sunglasses off while walking the dogs at night?! Come on! :cowboy_hat_face: :~

:slight_smile:

But honestly I’m totally with you on this, I’ll take the nice, even tint of an Mt-g2 over a much higher output any day. Here’s hoping the Mt-g3 (if it’s ever released) will get closer to XHP kind of output while maintaining or improving the sensible array pattern and nicer tint properties.
It’s probably just me getting too picky, but I’m getting more and more impatient with emitters like the xml that exhibit really strong tint separation across the beam. It’s probably also one of the main reasons I like dedomed leds as they have a very even tint across the beam. Which, even if it is a ghastly shade of green at worst, your eyes have a much easier time adjusting to it because the light is one tint across the whole beam, not purple/blue in the spill and yellow/green in the hostpot as is often the case with stock XML/XML2s.

The beam color is different in several stages. And there are artifacts, X marks the spot, that are seemingly impossible to get rid of. I think an orange peel reflector would help a lot here.

I was wondering about that, it won’t help much in a single emitter light but in something like an SRK with 3 emitters.
How about taking care to rotate each emitter by a certain amount (30 degrees seems a logical starting point) and also having each emitter slightly (or heavily?) off center in their reflector. I wonder if a good combination of these two elements can help to “fill in the gaps” associated with multi die emitters. Seems to me the biggest issue with these emitters and the mt-g2 (to a lesser extent) is that the center of the cross, or darkest part of the emitter is exactly at the focal point of the reflector. Maybe there’s a way of nudging this center point far enough away to bring an illuminated part of the die more into play, then hopefully blend out any ringyness and inevitable artefacts across the three reflectors.
Just a thought.

I’ve been meaning to do a bit of software simulation stuff regarding this type of thing and it seems like a good opportunity to give it another go.