Custom fees/import taxes around the world?

Usual between 0 and 3 days, but sometimes it can take longer for no obvious reason. When they need to contact me for paypal receipt, the time is closer to two weeks (If I can supply the receipt and they accept it).

One of the more difficult situations is when they ask for receipt for a package containing XXX and specify nothing more in the letter. One time I had to send four paypal receipt with links to the shops and pictures of the items, because I was waiting for four XXX from different shops. In the end, it was a fifth item, I had forgotten all about and I had to let them guess a price.

Yes, that is correct, but if the seller “did you a favor” and claimed the item was $20, then all you (or the seller), would be eligible to get back would be $20. In other words, if someone wanted me to claim an expensive light as only $20 and I sent it that way, I would not feel obligated at all if it got destroyed in shipping, to give back any more than the $20 declared value, legally or morally. I would not refund the full price, since the buyer asked for me to illegally mark the item at a low price.

Can I ask another question of you all in the EU group? With all these "fees or taxes", do you think it helps one bit to promote manufacturing in your own countries, or do more people just "cheat the system"? Has it helped at all, or does it have no good effect?

Here, of course, we don't pay any fees for items shipped in from overseas, but I also see that US manufacturing is at a standstill, (well sliding downhill rapidly), since it's so much more cost effective to do it overseas and ship it back. How does it work for your countries?

The fees does only apply to private imports, a company would not have to pay anything.

More correctly, the fee is split into different parts:

VAT must be paid when importing as private and must also be paid when buying stuff locally.

Processing fee, both privates and companies pays that, but when you import for larger amount the processing fee is mostly insignificant. For private importing it can double the price.

Duties, must always be paid when importing, but there is a minimum limit and a few flashlights is usual below that. A company importing large amount will have to pay, but it is usual a small percent.

It’s £15 for COMMERCIAL goods, but £40 for gifts, I had a parcel from USA of £18 value, post office collection charge was from memory £12, which is a hell of a lot for a £18 bit, actually two identical bits, that I paid seperate postage for, pissed me off big time, had they been seperate as they should be no charges, I don’t use that supplier any more!!
I had a hydraulic clutch kit for my sierra cossie(actually a stang T5 kit) from the states come through parcel force, went 20 miles to collect it, and only charged £20, I was shocked so scarpered quick ha ha, kit was £130 about $200 ?
tabs

I think it’s harder to tell with online purchases being so varied, which is more mainstream now, which puts a big strain on the postal system. I believe the duty was lowered to 15 GBP to “catch” imported DVDs. In the UK most things are imported rather than manufactured anyway.

In my experience really only things bought from China are marked as gifts.

Problem is, if it was a paypal deal, you will pay the full price because the buyer usually wins. I wouldnt do stuff like that. Either declare it correctly or let it be.

I tend to buy more expensive flashlights locally. I get them A LOT earlier and the price comes out maybe 10% more than buying internationally. Modding parts is something else, I cant buy them in Germany because nobody has them.

I just order stuff now, if it gets a tax hit, I cry a bit, curse royal mail then move on.

I have found I tend to get nailed by packages from the US whilst various chinese retailers seem to slip their packages under the radar, I have no idea why this is.

So far, the packages I’ve been nervous about have arrived without a tax claim, the only one I’m still nervous about is my xintd x3.

Modding parts have never ever attracted attention for some reason, I’m suprised all the odd little circuit boards have never resulted in a visit from a concerned agent tbh.

As a person who ships small packages worldwide from the US daily, the insurance is not tied to the postage amount at all when you use an independent mail insurance provider.

USPS insurance is horrible compared to the alternatives. International postal insurance is $0.90 to $1.65 for $50 mostly depending on the location, Argentina is higher, places like Turkey can get pricey. Canada, Mexico and Britain are fairly cheap, Russia can easily cost over $3.00 on a $50.00 item. The insurance value amount is not listed on the postage label at all. That amount is between you and the insurance company. You can insure the package as high as you want, you pay the fee.

When I have orders that are going to high risk areas for loss, I’ll make sure I put plenty of coverage on the item. Some people only cover a portion of replacement cost to save money due to volume. Recently I only lost about $30 per 700 packages valued at $12,000 or so. The numbers make my head hurt so, I don’t figure them often, well at least till I think my insurance bill is getting too high for the net profit ratio…

After years of dealing with international packages I find it’s “usually” best to be honest with customs declarations. I put down the actual item cost and a generic description unless the customer says that’s a bad idea. I get requests to put invoices inside for customs sometimes to avoid thieves seeing the actual package value. I don’t know if that helps them, but I will “smudge” the value and state there is a customs invoice inside if that helps a customer get their items.

The best way to avoid customs issues is the use of proper tariff numbers and approved descriptions. If you use a known tariff number, its quick and easy for them. I ship very exclusive custom made items that most people would have no clue about. So, its important to describe the item in common terms without too much confusing detail. If it looks like a metal lid or electrical parts just say that. No need to have brand names and detailed descriptions. Say its a metal tube, aluminum tube may get more attention and slow it down. Putting low values could also backfire, I rather just be honest in the value.

You do - it is just that the personal allowance is very much higher. The last time I looked it was over $100 (per package) but that was seven years ago.

Historically import taxes and duties were the basis of most economies, income tax usually came in to pay for wars.

That’s very true but true gifts like birthday etc are ok up to £40, as I have them sent, only ever been hit with tax twice, think it’s a piss take when you can’t buy that product in the uk anyway.
I had to order from southwestcustom in the states a hydraulic concentric clutch kit for a T5 gearbox, kit is for mustang and chevy V8, but adapted to fit my sierra cossie, beautiful bit of kit seriously well made in the usa, no one over here makes it.
There is a alternative very inferior hydraulic kit made here that even with “usa” taxes is around 3 times the amount.
tabs

In Trinidad and Tobago, legally, duties is around 20% of the cost of the item plus shipping. VAT of 15% is then added on to everthing. That’s officially a max increase of 38% however, customs officers are not the strictest or most informed people. I’ve had customs charges varying from 15% to over 40%. Once, I bought a little radio control car for $5 with free shipping from ebay and was hit with over $50 in tax and duties… sick (It was too much hassle to go to the customs office and complain especially since the package didn’t contain a receipt.) Another time, I bought abut $350US in bike accessories (A WHOLE LOT for me) and ended up paying about $485 total for the items… I almost cried that day… :frowning:

With most packages shipped from China, I end up paying about 20% extra but with packages I have to ship to the US first, or from the US, price increase can be closer to the 40% mark since I have to ship from the US to me then incure duties and tax. (I have a freight forwarder in the USA).

No wonder many want to migrate to USA. Heaven of shopping. 0:)

In Indonesia, any package with declared value is under $50 will be delivered without any fee. But there will be a very small amount “packaging fee” from post office, approximately $0.3.

Above $50, there’s 10% custom fee. The percentage may get higher for luxurious items.

In Turkey, items valued less then 75 euros will pass without any fees. That is around $100.
If it is over that, usual fee is 20% for Airmail. Private carriers charge extra processing fee not less than $75.

In Germany, the limit for free import is 22 € (~29 USD) including shipping.

Above that, they charge you 19% import sales tax, but if the amount you'd have to pay is below 5 €, they will most likely refrain from charging you.

If you order for more than 150 € they charge an additional customs fee on top of all of that, the percentage depends on the kind of goods.

In Here Sri Lanka,

Duty tax range from 8% to 30%
VAT 12.5%
Nation Building Tax (NBT) 5%

Mobile phones and other GSM communication equipments require import license & TRC approval. which cost around 25 US$

Goods up to 40$ customs declared value free from any tax. but sometimes they taxed.

Just got a call from FedEx regarding my shipment from HongKong undergoing ‘customs clearance’ since Saturday, 20 July 2013. I was asked whether it would be fine for me if FedEx pays the customs taxes and that they’ll just charge me when I get the item from them. Of course I had no other better option because the ‘clearance’ is being done in another island (Cebu) and I’m residing in another (Leyte). :Sp

Besides, I have to get that flashlight no matter what what. Its a personalized BTU shocker I ordered from Ric and its on top of my most wanted list. :bigsmile:

I’m not sure how much the tax will be. Right now I’m anxiously waiting for FedEx’s call/feedback and I just hope it won’t cost me more than the cost of the Shocker. :slight_smile:

The tax alone on the shocker will put me in a hole. lol!!! 8)