Dash cam advice wanted (dashboard camera)

For a dashcam “high endurance” is irrelevant as the moniker is meant for something that being writen and rewriten to for extended periods of time ie 24/7/365 type scenario. But for a dashcam a good microsd is all you really need, I personally use an Adata 128GB microsd I got on sale for $10~ been going strong for 7+ years.

Ah, yeah the fuse box ones can be tricky. To hide the wires in my setup, I used expired or dummy credit cards to gently push the wires into the trim.

Very interesting!

I was just going by the manual, though a firmware update would change everything.

Just checked and there is a new firmware update for the A119 released just over a month ago, so I should probably update mine too :slight_smile:

V2.0 Build:20200711

+1, this has been a good dashcam for me. Here’s the rear video from when I got rear-ended last fall by someone that was too busy texting to watch the road. I like how she hurriedly puts the phone down… ok, you can’t actually see the phone, but we all know what’s going on here.

Full view:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqCUxDBOv74_iQyA73iFWqKtjfzO

And a zoomed/cropped version for your enjoyment:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqCUxDBOv74_iQsV_79nu_Y810vF

Cool, I have to get one of those. How much for a decent unit?

There are forums dedicated to dash cam reviews and ‘collecting.’ :smiley:

I’ve had VIOFO A119 front-facing cameras in my cars for a few years. They seem like a good value for the price.

I upgraded my daily driver to the dual-camera VIOFO A129 about two years ago, and it’s been working great. I convinced a friend to get an A129, but then I had to help him install it. :partying_face:

Dual camera installation is a bit trickier on a hatchback or SUV, but the included USB-mini cable was long enough to follow the factory wiring through the rubber conduit connecting the rear hatch to the body.

In addition to being good for documenting an accident, a dash cam is handy for capturing other interesting events on the road.

There are several decent ones, the VIOFO A129 (dual camera) that XXX-Man linked above is $170 (also available for same price on Amazon). I’ve been very happy with the quality of mine and would buy it again.

I’m certainly no expert, but I’ve heard differently, and not just from the memory card manufacturers. :smiley:

Sure, any card might work, but I’d rather spend a few extra dollars on a ‘high endurance’ card from a major player. I have Transcend memory cards in my dash cams. They were among the top-rated cards back when I bought my dash cams, but I haven’t kept up on the latest recommendations.

This video explains some of the advantages of a ‘high endurance’ card. It specifically mentions that some cards’ warranties are voided if used in a dash cam.

FYI, the VIOFO A129 is sold as a single front camera AND as a dual camera model. Both are available with or without the hard-wire kit.

Be sure you’re looking at the model you want when comparing prices.

EDIT: To further confuse you, the GPS module is also an option, and I see there is now an ‘A129 Pro’ model. :partying_face:

r/Dashcam has a list of recommended cameras on the right side of the front page.

Dashcamtalk forums has a list of popular models on this page. Clicking a model takes you to their review with sample day and night footage.

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, the VIOFO dashcams are the best bang for the buck but the A119S is an older model that is discontinued so you should get a good price for them.
It is replaced with the A129 with 1080, 2K and 4K models.
I would suggest you also get a CPL filter to cut out the glare when the sun hits the len.

I have the BlackVue DR900S 2Channel 4K running in my car with a BlackVue B-124 battery pack so it wouldn’t drain my car battery. Love the cloud and buffered parking features downloading into a Lexar 128gb micro SD card.

I have Viofo dashcams in all 3 of my vehicles. It been over 5 years and still working, they are well build.

The info provided is slightly dated as manufacturing and adapting new architecture has become cheaper to produce, Like I mentioned I used an Adata 128gig microsd in my cam for 7+ years and card still going strong without issues.

As for the “some cards’ warranties are voided” that generally applies to very low end cards and were not designed to be used like that, in general now “most” microsd cards produced by reputable brands have the same capabilities as its cheaper for a manufacturer to produce an all rounder that works with many things than produce a cheaper product that only works in one thing.

Just my 2 cents on the topic of microsd cards.

I have posted repeatedly since my post that you quoted.

You have some reading to do.

[quote=raccoon city]

Just read the title and gave my 2 bits in. :wink:

Korean dashcam are the best…BlackVue and Thinkware.

And yet you quoted post #17 without even reading it!

Yes I did read this thread but IMHO the Korean made BlackVue and Thinkware are the best dashcam but pricey and the Chinese made VIOFO Is the best bang for the buck.
You made a good choice.

More info on that would be welcome