DEFT-X OMG lumens 900 Kcd

Wow an AP article! Congrats to Michael!

I emailed Saab asking if it is aspheric, and he said it is. I also asked him about the its hotspot beamsize compared to his TN31MB
at 400 meters, and he replied that they are roughly the same.

A fair bit of money for a spot of light. But I am liking the sales pitch. Guess it is the i-phone of flashlight. I would like it more if it does come with a chunk of spill as well. That would take it to the stratosphere.

Amazing, can’t believe Michael finally licensed the Weiven collar.
For those who doesn’t know,

Weiven collar is a patented device, basically just a sphererical reflector that reflects light back to led,
you cover the led with it, it double the surface brightness.

You leave a hole on the center of reflector so that the light escapes go through an aspherical lens,
that’s why the collar only works with aspherical flashlight.

If you do it for commercial , you need to licence the technology.
If you just make one for yoruself, no one can stop you.

I just ordered some ping pong balls, I am going to use half a ping pong ball, tape the inside with reflective tape to make a spherical reflector, then cut open a hole & place it over my led., i.e. A Ping Pong aspherical light & see what happens :slight_smile:

i need this light . :cry:
how long till we see clones coming out of china and costing 50 bucks!!!

Never!

i hope never, but also hope he decides to make RLT reflector for other hosts - coughCRELANTCOLLIMATORHEADcough - :party:

hmm… i wonder if this is the missing link for my experiment device :wink:

At $50 I would be all in. LOL!
I haven’t spent more than $100 on any light since I turned over a new leaf and found budget.

There was a time when I would drop $300 on a Surefire and feel like I got a good deal. Now with all the budget lights, I can find stuff of equal quality for half the price or less most of the time.

That Weiven Collar sounds like an awesome way to get more brightness.

What someone needs to do is make it into a zoomable light!!! Here’s how it could be done:

1. Mount the LED on a raised post that projects staight up towards the front of the light.
  2. Attach the hemispherical Weiven collar reflector to the sides of the sliding bezel. The hole in the reflector needs to be wide enough for the post with the emitter on it to slide through.
  3. Attach the aspheric lens to the front of the sliding bezel.

Spot mode:

1. When the bezel is extended, both the lens and Weiven collar reverse hemispherical reflector would be at optimum distance from the LED. Throw should be superior to a standard aspheric without Weiven Collar.

Flood mode:

1. Key for getting a good flood mode in a zoomable flashlight is to allow the back of the aspheric lens to retract as close as possible to the top of the emitter. As the sleeve is retracted, the lens retracts close to the LED. Additionally, because the Weiven Collar reflector is attached to the same sliding bezel it would also retract until it is out of the way behind the LED so it wouldn’t interfere with flood mode.
  2. The key to make this work would be having the LED mounted on a raised post. A standard star could not be used in a pocket flashlight, though a 10mm star mounted on a 10mm wide post might work for a large-size flashlight with a large reflector and aspheric lens. Also because all heat transfer from the LED would be going through that relatively narrow post, it should be made out of something that conducts heat well, such as copper.

_
Or… here’s maybe an even better way of doing it:

1. Instead of a hemispherical reflector, the internal reflector could be in the form of a series of vertical ridged rings on the inside of the sliding bezel. Each of these rings would be angled so as to reflect light back into the emitter when the bezel is at full extension. Instead of being hemispherical in shape, the reflector would be tube-shaped. These ridges could either be formed into the sides of the aluminum sleeve, or could be a liner that is glued on the inside of the sleeve and then chromed to provide reflection. A plastic liner would probably be cheaper to produce.
2. The rest of the light could be constructed along the same lines as a typical aspheric zoomable light. Since the reflector is a liner along the side of the sliding bezel, no special construction would be needed for the rest of the light. The emitter could be mounted on a standard star.