DIY Glow Gaskets for Triples and Other Glow Stuff

testing the acrylic paint on an optic…
it goes on a bit gloopy, but shrinks as it dries

unanticipated white face:

you can see some of the uneven coating… not bad for government work

so far so fun :wink:

will share bad news if it bursts into flames or melts into a puddle
have only tested turbo for a few seconds … working up my courage…
so far so good… (the material is water based, does not smell volatile).

I hope it gets night soon… lol

The Glow is Strong!

===

still waiting for dark
painted the reflector on a Thrunite Ti3 w 3000k 219b

===
update on Lumens output

the triple optic lost 50% of its output from painting the optic

the reflector in the Ti3 did too.

It would be hard for me to recommend the glow paint on optics and reflectors for those reasons…

glow paint on the mcpcb:

I like it :+1:

I see you bought the Ultra vs. the Standard. Performance wise, it seems very comparable, except that once past 60 minutes it’s rated to be nearly double the glow output of the standard.

They also sell a GITD tape that they claim is better than most industry standard stuff. I wonder if it’s much better than the Captank GITD tape I bought.

I like the glow paint on the MCPCB to minimize any changes in tint/CCT or lumens, but does the heat burn it off?

I share your concern

I have not seen any heat damage
So far it seems to be OK,

specs say acrylic paint
is heat tolerant to 160C

this is my first experience with acrylic paint… it feels similar to silicone, it is rubbery and springy, and easy to remove… so far, it just works.

Makes me smile

Good to know. May have to try some for fun.

Today I reflowed 219b LEDs onto the FWAA MCPCB that I painted glow paint onto. Instead of peeling the paint off, I did a test.

I put the board on my hotplate set to 200C, the glow paint started to glow, but it did not burn. I replaced the 3 LEDs and all is well

nothing bad happened to the acrylic paint, the glow dots still work after the reflow.

Thanks for sharing your glow paint mods and coupon! I’m going to try using some of it on a couple MCPCBs I’m reflowing.

Do you know if the paint is conductive? I think the powder is metallic.

good question, I dont know…

opinion, I dont think so… imo it is like silicone rubber,
but do your own google… here is one I found

since you asked, I did a test:

I put the probes of my DMM into the powder and there was no change in measured conductivity. On my meter, the display says 1 when the probes are apart, and the display goes to 0 when I touch the probes to each other.

I did the same with the wet acrylic paint (it is water based). It showed increased resistance, that is, the number went up to 1.8, not increased conductivity (number below 1)… (Im not well versed in meter use, maybe others can explain)

share what you learn

What an incredibly interesting topic! I ordered all the parts for a triple 219b (purple) S2+ yesterday. I found some gaskets but found them quite expensive for what they are so ordered some gitd tape and some gitd vinyl sheet. Can’t wait to try it out!
Might try that paint as well on the pcb