DIY Reflow Oven

Ok, how about freon? A little open flame never hurt freon… well, except for the phosgene gas it makes…

liquid methane is pretty cold.. Makes a nice fog as it warms. Should act like reverse vapor phase reflow.

A place I work for had a vapor phase reflow unit that used some funky freon… like $1000/lb stuff. The cooling condensor on the tank went out over a weekend and around $12,000 worth of freon became free range freon…

Youch. Yeah, that would suck.

How about using the heat to cool it with a piezo electric fan?

id be interested to know what that thousand dollar freon is?

joking aside both propane and butane are used as environmentally friendly refrigerants, another option could be liquid c02 but I don’t know how it would affect the circuitry.

good thread texaspyro, I do always enjoy your threads, even if I’m out of my depth

A lot of refrigerators in Russia apparently use propane as the coolant. I think I read that a typical unit only uses around 2 ounces. A friend of mine has a ’fridge that uses ammonia. It was built in the 1930’s and is still running strong. It also cools down almost instantly. Many industrial scale refrigeration plants also use ammonia.

its not just Russia. any fridge bought recently in the uk has r600 which is propane.

Australia uses propane almost exclusively.

Amonia is odd, you heat it to cause refrigeration, most hotel room fridges are Amonia as its silent - no compressor.

c02 is big in supermarkets now, thats been interesting as people aren’t prepared for the high pressures, there’s been more than one decent sized explosion as a result.

Yes, I’m a fridge engineer, hence my interest in the expensive refrigerant, I was going to find out how much it is to me because I think they were taking the p*

DuPont Fluorinert and their cousins…

I’ll have a looksee next time I’m in the suppliers, I am now pretty much convinced they were taking the p* now though, any du pont refrigerant that much more expensive would have been noticed by now.

It’s a bit like when someone asked me to regas their porche.

me tongue in cheek

“you do know porche gas is four times the price of ford gas?”

It is not a refrigerant, it is a flurocarbon liquid for cooling electronics (Like the Cray 2 and Cray 3 computers). Other versions are (were?) used for vapor phase reflow soldering.

Another proposed use was as an artificial blood or deep sea liquid breathing (fill your lungs with it and dive real deep).

As in The Abyss?

About $100~ for a reflow oven

Cheaper if you shop around for the components (like China for the Arduino compatible and relay and stuff)

Well, it is good that DIY is easy for all of you, but for me it is difficult, I can't even think of it!

It’s easy to learn now when you have the internet, we all start from having no knowledge at all.