DIY Wavien Collar?

Thus eliminating the focussing problems :slight_smile:

Running at 700mAh

direct drive is too bright for my phone

Thank you likevvii. Looks great. You gave me an idea. I will check into it shortly and report back if it works.

Good work.

Good luck.

:wink:

the problem is to get this thing to focus at the right spot. It is a hit and miss for me. I had to take it apart and put it back together over 10 times to get some decent results.
One of the big factors that gave me the motivation to keep trying is the tint shift. Many people say that a wavien collar shifts color temp down. It used to be ugly greenish because the tint was cool white 2B, domed. But now is is nice and yellow! My camera takes the pictures green tho ):

Interesting about the tint shift. I guess that makes since though. Some of the escaping blue light that gets reflected back to the phosphor should get converted.

It strikes me that there must be a pretty good margin for error in one of these. We're talking really small reflector close to the emitter. I imagine you can really only design a reflector to reflect back to a point source, all the other light hitting the reflector from parts of the emitter outside of the that point will reflect to all kinds of different directions. Some hitting the emitter and some not.

I heard some guy who added 1 piece of kapton tape to elevate collar, and the light increased by 70kcd. Ill try to find that post (CPF)

!!! i read your post beforeā€¦ and i just realized i just missed something ā€œIncandescentā€ this whole time, I have been looking at my plastic parabolic reflector and thinking this would not work, and how come your reflector is so ā€œcircularā€ā€¦.
I just found an old plastic 99cent light and took out the reflector! it is amazing! will post pictures later

This incan reflector is really bad.

I will stop by the 99cent store to see what they have (: If i find a good one, I can ship some to anyone who is interested

Which incan reflector is bad?

my reflector is really small. It is the black portion on the picture above. I will go find bigger ones like what comfychair had in his post

Start out with it taller, trim small amounts off the bottom (big end) until the reflected spot ends up around the same size as the die. (and use something better than a Sharpie to paint the blue part black, lol)

what about silvered test tube bottoms? Arenā€™t test tubes supposed to be hemispherical? I havenā€™t played with christmas ornaments, but the ones Iā€™ve seen are not very well made.

I think Ervin had the best idea in locating a lens in from of the emitter to focus spill(light that misses the reflector)instead of a collar to bounce it back. Harder to do in a small light like a p60 though and needs a focal length shorter than the depth of the reflector to capture the most spill.

You do know this is only for use behind an aspheric lens, right?

How did you get that black foamy material? electrical tape still gives off a bit of ugly reflections. I got a big reflector yesterday, put on 3 sunglasses and was able to adjust the dot. For focusing the beam, should i put the lens farther than the focal point or behind? Someone said ā€œthe light had to be a little out of focus for the best kcdā€ Person wasnt clear in what kind of ā€œout of focus.ā€ I read too many posts about aspheric throwers to remember where it came from. could be your post too?

What black foamy material? Heā€™s colored the blue area with a Sharpie marker. Something more matte would probably be ideal of course. Whatever material is used must not attack the plastic.

Maybe Carbon Black pigment? Sounds like a massive mess waiting to happen.

This thing. looks like it Absorbs light very well. Unlike mine which shows a picture of a noctigon.