Do You Love WHITE NOISE like I do?

idk what type of office you work in, but any time the white noise generators in our office malfunction, there is a borderline riot. Productivity goes wayyyy down and people seem to start going insane with all of the ambient noise they are suddenly hearing.

I am coming more and more dependent on noise lately. I have a fan on my desk at work 24/7 in addition to the white noise generators (also for air movement though, can’t stand stagnant air). At home I have an air purifier at night, as well as usually tv or radio, and occasionally a fan if it is hot. I don’t like how dependent I am on noise, but thank goodness for smartphones and apps when I am travelling.

A thunder and rain storm at low volume works for me when I can’t sleep

Luckily, I’m now a retired cop, but due to an injury, the last year of service saw me doing a desk job alongside a complete PITA female colleague who totally did my head in……

However, after some months, I had a discussion with my eldest daughter about how to concentrate more effectively during her exam revision and I discovered white/pink/brown noise……

So, next time in the office, I found an internet noise generator site, put a pair of earbuds in and started tapping away on my keyboard.

When PITA’s curiosity got the better of her within a few seconds……

“Paul? What are you listening to?”

Me - tugging one of my earphones out - “Are you talking to me?”

“What are you listening to?”

“Oh these? I’m logged onto a white noise website - I find that it helps me counteract some of the issues with my meds and helps me concentrate” - with that, I popped the earbud back in, turned back to my screen and continued tapping away. She paused for a few seconds and then wandered off and - to a small degree at least - left me alone after that.

SP

That is called EVP/Electronic Voice Phenomenon.

Nice and quiet works for me, though nothing is really silent there is always some sound inside and outside even if it is barley perceptible.

I have read about sound isolation rooms where people can only stand to be in them for an hour or so, before the silence become unbearable, the only sound is your own hear beating and the sound of your own breathing, it`s enough to drive you crazy.

John.

Interestingly, I like white noise when I’m awake but when I’m sleeping I prefer it dead silent.

The only time i have used white noise is when i burnt-in my new headphones also pink noise.

John.

Hilarious, and maybe my all time favorite band, or at least on the very short list.
The scary thing is, I’ve listened so much, I know all the lyrics. Almost.

Interesting stuff. Care to share a spooky story, either here or pm? I am fascinated by this stuff, but can’t decide what to believe or not.

I find wispered and non verbal ASMR much more efficient than white noise to fall asleep, even when fully awake in the day watching ASMR can make me drowsy very fast.

Sound stimulates memory, just as odor stimulates memory. Hearing voices in white noise is sound stimulating memory. The voices are in the mind, not in the sound. Mystery solved.

That’s a new one for me, I had to look it up. I had no idea this had become a ‘thing’.

MauiSon, I’m not saying you’re wrong, but a lot of people think there is more to it than that, and the mystery is not solved.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - Carl Sagan

Maybe, but you can’t prove nonexistence.

Sure, but that is not where the burden of proof lies.

True, especially for the skeptical. The believers believe there are many real things we can’t (yet) explain, or prove, that are real nonetheless.

Radio signals coming trough appliances is nothing new.
Most guitar amps will bring in the strongest nearby signal if it is strong enough.
It is just bleed through. RF interjection is the proper term.

My farm house is a former Cigar factory from the 1800’s and we will occasionally hear music and voices with no commercials, which voids out the radio station theory.
It’s all good.

I really hope my washer and dryer never start talking to me. :smiley:

By that time, The Machines will have won.