Drop.com $20 off - Lumintop Copper/Brass Tool for $10 - Discount not available as of 12/10/19

Thank you for the help, jon_slider and cyclops! :beer:

After I left the battery in for an hour it worked. I expected that only the high mode wouldnā€™t work but not that nothing works without a charged capacitor. Never experienced this on a flashlight before.

The 219B I put in the copper tool is awesome with all that red and rosy tint. It is actually my first SW45K flashlight, didnā€™t see this led in action until now.

Congratulations!
that is my favorite edc LED, I have it in more lights than any of my other options, and use it most often among my choices

I'll give it another thorough cleaning, sparing no effort or minute detail, and return. Thanks for the help!

Is it possible that this light just isn't meant for rechargeable aaa batteries? A voltage issue?

No, i dont have any problem with using eneloops. That is the only battery type i use for my aaa lights.

I have three copper tools w eSwitch. They all work perfectly.

Iā€™am I losing my mind or did the Drop AA vega Tool not say it came with a electronic switch?
The ad now says its a clicky and a magnetic tail cap include. The one I just received today has both.
I could have swore when I ordered it it said electronic switch. :person_facepalming:

No you are not dreaming.
The manual that comes with it even says patented electronic capacitor tail switch but it feels and acts like regular mechanical clicky to me.
Cool light just the same and easier to operate than the AAA with the repeated on-off to switch modes, takes forever to cycle.
Later,

Keith

Mine came with just a normal switch with a titanium button. I took it apart and itā€™s just your normal cheap switch, well the pcb has the copper pads for 2 resistors and 2 leds for a ligted tail switch.
I feel cheated, that was the whole reason I purchased 2 of them. :frowning:
I could have just purchased a normal Lumintop AA Tool.

Thorough cleaning, same issue. Full disclosure here, the light works. 90% of the time it works on high with no issue. There's no mode memory, I'm assuming that is standard for this light. The slightest tap on the switch, and I mean a grain of sand slight, will cause a flicker. Sometimes the light will drop out of high and go back to high after an interval between a half a second and five seconds with no apparent cause. I really do like the form of the light, and I want to resolve the issue without changing the tailcap. I wouldn't mind having high only, if that was the only possible remedy. Any and all suggestions or help are/is appreciated.

Also, I read this on the lumintop website... "Tips: Considering The Following Case In Your New Tool Ti As Normal Which It Has Low Battery In Electronic Tail Switch. Please Put A New AAA Battery In Tool Ti For 20 Minutes Under Close-Down Condition To Solve Them. ļ¬ You Canā€™t Turn It On ļ¬ You Canā€™t Switch The Modes ļ¬ Same Brightness In Mid-High Mode". I don't like the idea of having to wait twenty minutes after a battery change to have high mode available. I wonder why they are so dedicated to this switch?

I assume if they didnā€™t have a capacitor in the tailcap they would need to have a second tube inside the battery tube like in the FW3A. The capacitor powers the electronic switch and if it has no power it doesnā€™t work. A second, inner tube is complicated as well because it has to be screwed tightly to get good contact and makes the flashlight tube thicker.

The 20 minute charge up deal is only on the initial running of the light.
When you pull the battery next time and reload it will be ready to go right away.
If you use an alkaline which will have higher voltage than rechargeable NiMh the initial charge up will be quicker.

thanks for sharing your unfortunate discovery
it might have been me that posted that the light had an eSwitchā€¦ my mistake, I was just looking at the shiny button

on the plus side, its a nice shiny button, and the switch works without needing to charge upā€¦

you dont have to wait 20 minutes unless there was NO battery in the light for days.

(days is a guess, if someone wants to report how long without a battery it takes to defeat the ability of the switch to work normally, let us know. I dont have any issues with swapping eneloops on my Tools, the switches never misbehave, unless the light has been sitting empty for X? amount of timeā€¦)

and you are correct, there is NO mode memory in the aaa Tools that use a reflector.
The new version with a pebbled Tir does have mode memory. And it has a mechanical switch, so you never need to wait for the switch to charge up. (but they dont come in fancy metals)

If you have verified that the switch retaining ring is snug,
and the pill is snug in the head

and there is clean contact between the titanium body tube and the pill,
and the battery is reasonably fresh (above 1.1 volts),
thenā€¦

It sounds like a defective switch

Contact drop for a replacement Light

(dont just ask for a switch)

your experience is not normal, sorry you got a dud for first impressionsā€¦

hang in there, drop will send you a new one (I hope :slight_smile: )

let us know how the replacement works out.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. I really do appreciate it. Drop informed me that my only option was to send the light in and get a refund. So, it works well enough to be a backup as opposed to sending it back. I would love for one of you professionals to mod it for me. If anyone is interested in the host shoot me a trade offer I can't refuse. Thanks again!

Out of curiosity, what would happen if I ordered a lumintop tool aaa with a magnetic tailcap and put it on my titanium?

the light will work as a twisty (at the head, not the tail)

in fact, your light already works as a twisty, just turn it on at the tail, and then twist the head to change modes or turn off (dont turn the tail off, it will stay on)

sending your light to someone will cost postage both waysā€¦ almost not worth it

I looked at drop and they have the blue titanium light available now

I dont recall if yours is blue or silver, but my thinking is you could return the one you have with the apparent bad switch, and buy another one.

I would appeal to massdrop customer service one more time, asking them to just ship you a blue replacement, and that if they want the old one back, ask them for a return shipping labelā€¦ (maybe they will let you keep the bad light)

anyway, I hope you get to experience a light with a good working switch. I love mine, I hope you get to share the joy.

Three days ago I posted that, after two days of extreme details, all information on my shipped light froze. DHL offers an email notification if there is a status update available for a specific parcel. And to my surprise I was informed this morning that around midnight the parcel got into the hands of PostNL. And at 13:17h it sat in my letterbox.

On opening I saw that the color of the light was not Aspen-sky-blue but more of a blueish hue. Nevertheless it is a beautiful light, especially for that money. I put in an Energizer AAA and the light popped into action. In every mode (L,M,H). No charging time, even though the minute travel of the switch suggests itā€™s an E-switch. But if it works, who cares.

The parcel has passed customs but they did not add a tiny amount of dues + large handling fee. Though the historic value of the content was written on the sticker. Maybe Iā€™m just a lucky man. Thanks for heads-up and advise that made me buy a very nice flashlight at a very budget price.

Do you use plain or pro version of Eneloops?

both
why?
do you have a preference?

(I actually prefer the normal version myself, possibly due to bad scienceā€¦ I have a Pro that does not get as bright as my normal ones, and my Pro are newer, but maybe I used the Pro more cycles, or overdrained them moreā€¦ not sure)

anyway, I just ordered a few more normal eneloops, I intentionally chose to avoid the pro, based on my totally unscientific experience

That is called a WAG (wild a$$ed guess). A Swag is a scientific wild a$$ed guess. Either seems to work fine in practical applications.