Ebay and shipping fees are rediculous for seller

Isn’t that the case for almost every country’s postal service? A letter costs me the same postage stamp to mail anywhere in the country, and the same price to mail anywhere to the US.

I suppose you could make people pay more depending on the origin and destination of the letter, but I image the complexity of that would probably raise the price for everyone, and make even local letters just as expensive as before. Any system you design is going to have some compromises for simplification, and that is essentially socializing the price in the group you classify.

But I agree that in extreme cases, such as mail service in very remote areas, it does seem a little silly to make it the same price as for service in large cities. Maybe in those cases, they could simply provide service only a couple of times per month, or something like that to create the volume needed for cost reduction. Or, perhaps they already do that, I don’t know.

I can’t speak for other countries but in the US the only thing that is the same price for any location is first class mail (aka, letters). Any package shipped via any other service will have the fee adjusted according to the destination.

While similar it is really easier for the postal service to just set one price for all the letters vs trying to calculate a price for every one. It would cost them way more to try to manage different prices for each destination then just setting a fixed price. So in this case it is smart business since it actually saves money in the long run.

Not to mention it being nearly impossible for the average Joe to send a letter with the correct postage without going to the already stupid long lines at the post office. Which would cost the post office even more to manage said lines.

I can’t even imagine trying to charge for letters by distance from a business or management standpoint.