EDC-XML-R (Regulated), By Elektro Lumens

I received the shipment of machined aluminum parts today (1/22/2013) for the EDC-XML-R. I’ll try and get a few shipped out tomorrow if I can, and post a few more photos. I plan on doing a YouTube video of this new design EDC soon.

Wayne

Looks like a very nice light. Great job. 1000 lumens though? At 2.8A?

Per the Cree datasheet, base lumens at 700mA for a U2 XM-L is 300. At 2.8A, you’re getting about 310% of that. So 930 Lumens. But that’s at 25C Junction. More realistic is about 60C MCPCB temp. The XM-L is a 2.5C per W part, so at roughly 10W, add another 25C. Junction temp of about 85C. Again, per datasheet, at 85C Junction Temp, you get about 88% of rated lumens. 930*0.88 = 818.4 Lumen. Reflector Losses are unknown to me, but I can guess At Least 10%… 818.4*0.9 = 736.56

Unless I’m way off in my calculations or you know something I don’t, this light is only good for at best 73% of the lumens you claim it to be…

PPtk

OTF lumens, yes, there is a loss from emitted lumens . 1000 lumens is an approximation of emitted lumens, not OTF. I had been powering the EDC-XML at approximately 3000mA, using a resistor to reduce to this power level. At 3 amps the estimated emitted lumens is 975. Anyway, I changed my web site to indicate 930 lumens instead of 1000, with the newer EDC-XML-R being regulated at a more consistent amperage ouput of 2.8A. I had not considered before your post, the difference of lumens output between 2.8A and 3A, which is minor, but still significant to numbers scrunchers.

I have not received any complaints for the EDC-XML for lack of brightness, that I can remember.

I’m hoping that some who have purchased the new design EDC-XML-R can post results of lux measurements and run times, etc. I just measured around 10,000 lux @ 1 meter. I am putting on my web site 6,000 lux for now. I normally had been getting a much higher lux reading than 6000 with the bin U2. Run time is going to depend on batteries used.

Wayne

I have uploaded a few new videos on the EDC-XML-R flashlight, one is on the Alumibronze version.

EDC-XML-R

EDC-XML-R Alumibronze

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I notice you’ve changed this response several times. Sorry that I never had a chance to reply to any of the other renditions.

I’m glad that you’ve brought your lumen claims more in line with reality. Truthful statement about output is one big differentiation between quality medium and high cost lights and the chinese budget ones.

I’d still love to see your calculations for 930 lumens at 2.8 Amps. If that’s what your coming up with, then I’m way off in my emitter lumen estimates when I build my own lights. My own calculations suggest about 818 emitter lumens at 2.8 amps from a U2 Bin XM-L. Even if we use the very top end (highly optimistic numbers) of the U2 Bin, my math says:
320 * 3.1 * 0.88 = 872 lumens.

Have a great day!
PPtk

People like yourself have a lot more detailed knowledge on calculations. I just look at the graphs about emitted output. Knowledgeable people know there is a difference between emitted output and out the front output. Un-knlowledgeable people, the numbers probably have little meaning anyway. I used to use a resistor, power level was around 3 amps, output of light was 975, which is close enough to 1000. But 930 is far enough away to just say 930. Our eyes would never detect the difference, we know. Sometimes I see a flashlight for sale, with a Cree XML, with claims of 1200, 1300, 1800 lumens, uh, yeah, right.

It would be nice to tweak the circuit and bump it up to 3000mA, perhaps sometime I will, or, maybe if I can find one that has this level. In my testing I note power levels to be 2.8A, 800mA, low has two values: 140mA/240mA, depending on setting.

I hope others can confirm brightness levels and power levels and run time. . I can update my web site for accurateness. On my web page for the EDC-XML-R, I added more details on power levels, like power consumption, run time, brightness measurements.

I’m liking this flashlight a lot, myself. I have a bracket and now use it as my bike light. Low power is sufficient for city streets. When I get a chance I’ll go out to Smith Rock (Terrebonne Oregon), and do more beam videos of this flashlight. Right now it’s winter and not always best weather to be out doing beam shots at night.

Wayne

Wayne, If you tell me the light puts out 1000 Lumens... at the emitter....which is the way 99.9% of lights are sold today... MINE INCLUDED.... and it puts 800 OTF.... two things happen.

1. I Won't ever know.

2. I don't care.

Further, In my opinion all the calculations possible will EVER nail it down EXACTLY... There are too many variables... for the same light on a day to day or even, depending on just the environment a minute to minute basis. As well, certainly if it has a lens... one light may be 50 lumens brighter than the next...using two lens out of the very same batch! The same goes for the LED itself... same BIN, same everything...there WILL be a variation. Again... we will never see it or know! Calculations are just that...calculations.

Although I have made lights a good while now, I havent studied this in depth nor have I felt the need to declare a lights output down to the knat's butt of a lumen. When I do... I'll quit!

You're an honest guy.... you say it like it is, you aren't claiming anything outlandish.... Don't worry about it, just keep making good lights!!

Just my 80 cents worth!! Dan.

Thanks for the input. Many flashaholics like to get into the nuts and bolts, into the specs, brightness, power levels, run times, etc. It’s part of the hobby, and part of the fun of it. If someone challenges me, that’s fine, if I’m wrong, I’ll admit it and and adjust. Although I’m a manufacturer, and dealer (sell my stuff direct), it’s still my hobby.

Elektro

What a GREAT outlook!

Got my shipping notice today, can't wait!

Wayne, if you do get a chance, I'd like to see some pics of yours mounted on the bike and maybe some detail shots of your favorite bracket. After mine arrives, I'll do the same and we can compare notes on different bar mounts.

Okay, I’ll take a photo of my EDC-XML-R on my Trek 1200 road bike, and post it. I’ve been using it almost every morning, as I normally am out riding in the dark in the morning before the sun comes up (it’s often times raining at that time too.)

Wayne

Here are a few pics of my EDC-XML-R mounted on my Trek 1200

Also, a pic with a remote switch, for mounting on a gun:

Wayne

Thanks for the latest photos Wayne!

Definitely looks like the perfect bike light, and the remote switch fit is fantastic - is that an easy installation for the XML-R or does it require some modding, and can you sell this as an optional accessory?

Cheers mate,
Andrew

The bike light is perfect as far as I’m concerned. Great for use in the city on low power. If out in remote areas with no lighting, it can be set on high, and is as bright as a car headlight. I would not use the strobe, however, as it strobes very fast and is designed for disabling, probably not a good thing for the cars coming at you to have disoriented drivers. :0

Regarding the remote, it is not an option as of yet. If there is adequate interest, I can possibly start offering it. I have to machine out the opening of the tail end a little bit for the remote switch to work. I do not have enough extra tail caps, as what I would like to do is offer the switch with the tail cap complete, so a person could switch back and forth between the two if desired.

Wayne

The remote switch is one I purchased on the net, and modded the tail cap to make it work. I might consider at some point making this an option if there were interest enough in it.

Wayne