Emisar D4S review

It’s probably worth mentioning that the momentary mode does not remember any settings after a battery change… and the only way to exit is by disconnecting the battery. So if you configure it as a momentary strobe, then cancel it to use a normal ramping mode, it won’t remember that it was a strobe before.

By default, momentary is just on/off at the last-ramped brightness. And it resets to this every time power is disconnected.

However, manual memory is remembered after battery changes. It only needs to be configured once. And the strobe settings are remembered too, so if you change the speed, or change the default strobe type, it’ll remember that.

That looks like a D4S version 1. It probably uses RampingIOS V3 instead of Anduril.

What happens if you do 5 clicks from off? If it’s Anduril, it should go into momentary mode. If it’s RampingIOS, it should do nothing.

Or, another way to check is 8 clicks from off. Anduril does nothing, and RampingIOS goes to beacon mode.

Oops, sorry. I answered so many messages yesterday I forgot who was who. :blush:

It is very strange that the manual memory is not working. I tried it just now, to make sure nothing was wrong with the file. I copy/pasted the link from your post, downloaded it, flashed it, and tested it… and manual memory works as expected. Here is the log of what I saw in my terminal, if it helps.

It should do a “blip” after clicking 5 times. It turns the LEDs off for a very short time, same as when doing 3 clicks to change the ramp style. I did not see that in your video, and it did not remember the brightness. So your video clearly shows it not working, but I’m not sure why. Perhaps when it was flashed, something was not transferred completely? The bit at the end of the log which says “avrdude: 8130 bytes of flash verified” is important.

The original D4S has somewhat awkward flashing pads, so it is usually more difficult to flash because it is more difficult to keep all six pins in contact during the process. If possible, it would be a good idea to make sure the verify step succeeds. Sometimes I have to try more than once. This is not as much of an issue when using a pogo pin adapter or a SOIC8 clip, but it is a common problem on the D4S.

Very strange. What happens if you click 15+ times from off? This 09-28 version should have a version check function to verify which version is installed. It should blink out 8 digits and then turn itself off: “2 0 1 9 0 9 2 8”

Just wondering…how does it blink zero?

It’s a quick flash for zero, 1 to 9 longer flashes for numbers one to nine.

It sounds like the firmware was not updated? Like maybe it was running in “dry mode” or “no-write mode” where it doesn’t actually change anything?

The “-n” option for avrdude does this. It may have been using that.

I just received D4SV2. When I slightly unscrew head and then reconnect and push button it always comes on in lowest level rather than highest regulated mode. My regular D4S never had this problem. Is there a different method for accessing highest regulated mode in the D4SV2?

Is it possible that I just deprogrammed my D4SV2? Whereas before, it functioned perfectly except not accessing highest regulated mode (see previous post) Suddenly it’s stuck in smooth ramp, won’t show voltage, 2 clicks won’t access turbo from on or off, 3 clicks from on or off, no amount of cliscks does nothingIn fact it won’t do anything except ramp up or down. Now it’s just an ordinary light. Has this ever happened before? Any idea how to fix?

I had something similar with my E07.
Take a cotton swap and clean all the contact points on the head and tail and tube with alcohol, then try resetting.

If it has anduril (which I believe it should) it sounds like you are just in muggle mode, try clicking six times from off

Thank you Kyle!! Now what about not going into highest regulated mode after head loosen and tighten. Any idea about that?

If it was in muggle mode it would not have that functionality until you switch it out of muggle mode. Have you switched it out of muggle mode and then loosened and tightened the head/tailcap?

Stacking 7135 chips was a common method for increasing regulated power around here for a while… so yes, it does work.

However, in an Emisar light, there is probably not enough room inside to add a chip on top. The driver may not fit any more after doing that. You would probably have to put the chip somewhere else, which is not easy. The 7135 chips need a solid path to ground so they can shed heat, and that means they generally must have their wide tab close to the outer edge of the driver.

So I’m not aware of anyone adding 7135 chips to an Emisar driver. Chip stacking hasn’t been common in general since FET drivers started becoming popular, and Emisar lights are particularly difficult to modify this way since they are so compact.

At boot time, the D4S and D4S V2 default to the highest level of the first power channel. For D4S V1, that meant 3x7135. For D4S V2, it means 1x7135. (in the stepped ramp mode, it goes to the nearest step if there isn’t one which hits that level exactly)

On the D4S V2, the stepped ramp has a default configuration of level 20 to 130 in 7 steps:

1. 20
  2. 38
  3. 56
  4. 75
  5. 93 <— highest regulated mode, 4x7135
  6. 111
  7. 130

Plus turbo, of course, at level 150.

So one way to get to 4x7135 is to use the default stepped ramp at level 5 of 7. You could also use manual memory to make it turn on at this level every time. Or set one of the ramp ceilings to level 93, and then it’d be available with a double click from off.

I did, and I thank you again for that muggle mode info which I missed in the Anduril manual.

PS: is “Anduril” some sort of mythical creature?

I have it set to 5 steps and I just found that step 4 is pretty much equal to max regulated mode in D4SV1, so I just double click for ceiling(or “turbo 1”) then one step down.That seems to work pretty well.

Thanks again ToyKeeper. Your name should be “Keeper of the Flame”, as in someone who maintains the bright light of informative wisdom!

The name is explained briefly in the source code.

Long story short: Tom E made Narsil, the blade Isildur used to cut the One Ring off Sauron’s finger. It was the “red and white flame”, the enemy of darkness. But it shattered, and was later reforged as Anduril so Aragorn could defeat Sauron for good. It means “flame of the west”, formed from the words for west/sunset and brilliance.

It was either that or “noodly appendage”. I think I probably made the right choice. :stuck_out_tongue:

No comment on “noodly appendage” :blush: