Emisar D4S review

Which LEDs? My with XP-L HI 3A and battery Lii50 takes 15.4A

That information would help, wouldn’t it.

XP-L HD 3D

It can affect. As I changed the LEDs in D4, I had different results on the same driver:
D4 Nichia 219C 14,5A
D4 XP-G2 11,4A
D4 XP-L HD 12,5A
D4 XPL-L HI 14,7A

Of course with the same battery.

Okay thanks, sounds like I am getting the best out of it then? It’s certainly just as bright as my Q8. Quite ridiculous really. Amazing little thing.

As an aside, is there any point in doing a spring bypass?

In my opinion, there is not, because the flashlight still has a small mass, so if you even achieve a slightly higher power, it will go down even faster.

Just discovered that you can use 3 aaas (series) in an adapter for d4s. I use the adapter from my old spark sx5. It works fine but of course much lower output. My nieces and nephews like to play with my d4s with anduril in the dark but not content with muggle mode. They demand candlelight and lightning mode. They’re better than me with pressing buttons to get to those modes actually. Now I just put nimhs when they want to play with it and not worry about them burning anything.

That’s cool to know! Thanks for sharing that info.

Do you have a picture of that adapter?

Is it this one?

I don’t have a photo at the moment but those would probably work. I use one from the spark sx5 but I have a couple like those from cheap china zoomies. I can double check later. They’re marketed as 3xaaa to 18650 adapters but they’re a bit thicker than 18650s and don’t fit most 18650 or even 21700 lights I have. I guess that’s one more useful advantage of 26650 lights that I only thought about because of the kids.

OOOOoooooooh! Thanks for mentioning this! I have quite a few of those adapters and even a couple that are really well made… makes me wonder about using three 10440’s in series to run 12V XHP-35’s… lol (Oh, wait, that’s taking it the wrong direction isn’t it? My bad!)

I think I have one of those adapters somewhere in a box of old lights… I tried to use it that way once but didn’t have any lights it would fit in aside from the super-cheap one it came with. I should see if I can find it again to try in a D4S.

The three fully charged cells will make 4.5v, is there any risk for the driver?

Not entirely sure but I’ve used 3x nimh and alkalines for my headlamp for extended periods of time. It has a TA driver from Lexel and the driver seems to be fine. I think they’re only at 1.5V when fresh off the charger. When used they quickly drop voltage and stabilize around 1.2V when looking at discharge curves. The voltage drop should also be greater with higher loads. But I’m not an expert on this and somebody else might know better.

XHP35 Ultrafire Zoomies!!! Still wouldn’t reach advertised 9000 lumens though. Tsk tsk.

Took photo of the 2 adapters I have. Far right is the one that came with the Ultrafire and the one beside it from the SX5. Both work but its a little bit trickier to align the one from ultrafire with the springs. Sticking it first to the magnetic tailcap spring helps a lot with the alignment.

Tried to measure output (D4s SST-20 3000K) with 3 alakaleaks at 1.3V. Turbo at 300 lumens but goes down to half of that after 15 seconds (probably due to voltage sag). Candlelight mode works fine for lower levels but at higher levels it drops out of candlelight mode to regular low mode. Good quality nimhs might give better results.

Still useful to know I can use this light with batteries from the grocery store when the zombies arrive :confounded:.

Does anyone know if it is possible to boost the AUX LEDs low level? With my sample configured with amber LEDs the low level is pretty much invisible even in a totally dark room, but the high level is quite bright. I think low would be more usable for me if it was say 10-20% of high.

I see people talking about the 122 R1 resistor on the AUX board, which looks like it controls the overall brightness, but where is the difference between low and high controlled? I see R6 is a solder bridge on the driver board, but perhaps that was a prototype and in production there is an actual resistor for low?

The other lights I know (a few only announced at the moment):
Lumintop GT micro
Lumintop GT 4
Haikelite MT09R
Mateminco S03 / Astrolux S43
Astrolux FT03 (There is probably also a Mateminco version)

Yes, you did mine does it too on RampingIOS.

Low is done by using the Attiny internal resistors. There is no external difference.

Interesting, is the percentage for both low and high fixed?

Group buy x 2 for this awesome light? Thanks.