Emitter Test Results: Illumination Supply Copper PCB

The Sinkpad example in the photo is a XPG/XPE version.

Hey Folks!

Thanks for the nice response. I've missed BLF.

A few of you have brought up the slight space between the emitter / pcb, and honestly I didn't notice it until the macro shots. Give me a bit, and I'll reflow the emitter and retest. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Lub U guys,

-Match

Great to see you back in the saddle, Match! Nice comparison. What I'd really love to see is a comparison with the 16mm Noctigon with the 16mm IS version.

I'm not big on the overly large gap surrounding the contact pad of the IS nor what appears to possibly be a sandwiching of the entire MCPCB. It could just be a line caused by the stamp cutting of the disk or it could be where the two halves of the board are boded. If it were indeed two halves joined together it would explain the gap surrounding the contact pad. What losses occur from the joining and the board not being one solid piece of copper? Also, what is the covering on the contact surface, even around the gapped area? It is silver, not copper colored. While it could be pretinning, it looks like it could be a non-conducting insulating layer.

Well Done Match! Interesting the IS board seemed to tap out at 6 amps - maybe relic is right about the bad reflow because his graphs seem to indicate it's still climbing. I'm think'n that may explain it more than the board size differences, but who knows. Still wondering what the best copper star is for high amps. The smaller boards have less resistance because of shorter traces, but the big boards obviously have more surface area and copper mass...

Johnny, I don’t want to steal from Match’s thread, but I have posted a comparison in my test results thread. I will be posting my full Noctigon and SinkPAD test results tonight if I find time.

I think that could be the nickel plate over a rough surface. Tinning should fill in the valleys and appear smoother/ shinier. That could also account for the poor reflow.