ENEDED

After playing around with it a few days I have some issues with it.
One moment it works fine and it runs extended times without problems, another moment it won’t turn on, or turns on with a high flash and then turns to low mode. Or it works on high, really flickers and then turns to low.
This can happen immediately after turning on, or after using it without any problem at first.

Tried it with a couple of different batteries and they all have it, and it behaves with and without problem with the same battery.

Any idea what’s causing this?

I have not seen that on my copy. Some general troubleshooting methods for flashlights:

• Swap with another battery
  • Ensure battery is fully charged
  • Give a few tap of you flashlight in your palm or non-damaging surfaces while it is ON. Loose contact or poorly assembled parts will cost it to switch modes or turn ON/OFF on impact.
  • Check for accumulation of residue on threads of battery compartment (tube).
  • Isolate the region that is giving you the problem. Power on your flashlight without reflector. By-pass the tailcap with a wire, etc.
  • Visual check on the LED leads.
  • Disassemble driver for visual inspection. Mainly, on solder joints, wiring, burn components and contacts. Then reassemble and try to power up again.

Contact their customer service if problem still persist. Attach some photo or video with you explanation if possible.

Did you happen to pick up your Rocher AS31? :slight_smile:

From BG’s site, the modes look very interesting: high,middle,low(click twice for stepless lighting)

Great review , Freeme , you inspired me to get one.
I am having a problem getting the brass contact plate off.I tried unscrewing anticlockwise with needle nose pliers and the mag control unscrewed at the front of the silver ring!I got it back together and threadlocked it.
Tonight I used a plumber’s wrench on the “nut” behind the silver control ring and the needle nose pliers.I got a little movement , but very stiff.Is it reverse thread , that kind of makes sense to prevent undoing with the control ring in front.I thought I’d ask before forcing it.

You going to remove the control ring? Not sure if it is an easy task, it sounds like ball bearings in it. May I know what is the purpose for it?

I meant that I wanted to remove the brass contact plate to access the driver , but instead , the mag control ring undid(broke the factory threadlock)
FYI there are 2 ball bearings on the back face of the silver ring , 180° apart , and 2 small springs on the front of the silver ring to hold the bearings against the back There are “tracks” on the face adjacent to the ball bearings , the black “nut” part of the body with 6 flat sides , about 2mm apart.They are what you felt when you rotated the ring.
Can I repeat the question?Is the brass contact plate normal or reverse thread and was your’s very hard to undo?
At least I know the control ring is easy enough to get to to repack the grease later.

Turn clockwise to unscrew.

Geez, these lights are getting cheaper and cheaper. Great price for ring control!

Has anyone received the AS31?

I just received the AS31. It’s a solid light with excellent build quality like the M10 reviewed in the OP. The lens and reflector are interchangeable with C8 parts. But the AS31 feels much more solid than the typical C8 clone.

However, I can’t figure out the UI. Long press sometimes turns it on. Medium press sometimes change brightness. Long press sometimes turns it off. Random clicks sometimes make it blink. Rocher needs to make an English manual for this.

Did anyone figure out the UI for this?

Finally!!!

The as31 looks nice. How about a review?

I have a couple of lights pending for review. AS31 has lesser priority but I will try to answer any question that you guys have in mind.

Ignore the resistor mod.

Initial observation/ test:

• AS31 has PWM for Low and Medium mode. Same as MC10.
  • Unlike MC10's "integrated pill" design, AS31 CREE XM-L2 1A with 20mm alu MCPCB sits on a 2.5mm thick shelf instead.
  • "Stepless" mode is fun to watch the dimming process but useless because it did not go as low as I expected.
  • A- grade build quality and finishing.
  • Did not manage to get a proper reading at tail. Light was on but refuse to switch to highest when connected to meter. I will troubleshoot when free. My guesstimate value should be ~2.2A.
  • No lubrication on all screw threads.

Looking forward to the review. In the meantime….

Could you expand on this a little. Why is it useless? How low is low? Is there still PWM in stepless mode?

Also, why are there so many holes in the pill? :~

The lowest it can get is about the same as preset low mode. It will not achieve moon or firefly level. Good thing is that PWM freq is faster than preset low and medium mode in stepless. Default PWM freq is one of the lowest i have tested so far (by observing rotating fan blades).

2 tapped holes for retaining screws, 2 for leads and 2 spare.

OK, got you. Good info, thanks.

Just got the AS31 in from BG - will be ordering more of these. Wow, excellent quality for this price. Same basic size as a C8 but feels smaller. Here's some real measured specs:

• Dimensions are listed wrong. The real dims are: 150.0 mm long, 44.4 mm head diameter, 25.0 mm tube diameter
  • Weight: 170.2g (a XinTD C8 stock weighs 173.4g without a SS bezel)
  • Mode tail amps measurements on a fresh HE2 button top cell (done on heavy gauge wires, very reliable, well proven setup): 2.48A, 0.83A, 0.23A
  • Lumens (measured in my PVC pipe light box): Hi: 741 @30 secs, Med: 265, Lo: 71
  • throw, measured at 5 meters: 25 kcd, 316 meters

Impressions

• throw #'s are right there with stock C8's
  • lumens may be a little low for 2.48A tail - the lens has a little fog to it, and the LED is set a little low, lower than a Convoy C8 or XinTD C8 for sure, and slightly off center. There doesn't seem to be a centering piece for the LED.
  • overall quality is excellent! Love the SS bezel and plenty of fins on the head
  • it's shorter than a Convoy L4, shorter than a Convoy C8, much shorter than a XinTD C8
  • quality of the finish/surfaces is same as the Rocher/Convoy F6 - excellent
  • nice lanyard (not typical cheap budget), 2 spare o-rings, tail threads are bone dry
  • modes are well spaced, but dimming mode is a bit wierd. Hold to turn ON/OFF, click to cycle through the 3 modes
  • easy lockout - small twist of the tail shuts off power
  • not a fan of it's star patterned tailcap - more unstable than flat surface, but tailstands ok, not great
  • Overall: it's a keeper at this price for sure - I will be modding them up

About to order qty 3 for grand total of $45.67. It's a steal! You can us the BLF code for 8% off, or the special deal BGLFC code for 15% off, at least for now. I suspect these may be obsolete and not restocked once sold out, but not sure, and no clue how long the BGLFC code will last.

Ohh - I think the BGLFC code is a flashlight clearance code. The Rocher LS01 is also discounted with this code, which is also a great deal. There are many other lights discounted under this code, but can't find the list anymore on the site. Ordered an LS01 today - it may be better as a 2 cell thrower mod host though.

Thanks to you Tom E I ordered 3 LS01's this morning. With the discount code it made buying 3 just under $20.00 Australian each. I haven't seen lights this size for this price for along time. l hope the quality is there?

Sorry SmileWink. Dunno, but from the reviews of the LS01 light and it's clones, it sure seems like the real deal. These AS31's are definitiely the real deal for about $15 in qty 3 - unbelievable really... It makes the XinTD C8's and L4's seem like a ripoff at $30.

Ohh - just tweaked the AS31 LED positioning by adding a standard centering piece, and was able to unscrew the AS31 pill to raise it slightly, added Nyogel to the body threads, and re-tested:

throw stayed the same at 25 kcd, but lumens went up to 802 @30 secs (843 @start), up from 741 @30 secs (782 @start). So better, and maybe ok for a XM-L2 T6 1A at 2.48A, still with the foggy lens.

You cant talk me into more lights. I have enough thanks.

I seem to recall someone, maybe OL, clean a foggy lens with aluminium polish. It maybe worth a try.