Exploration photos with my flashlights

They are terrific pictures Mike. Love the way the picture was taken way behind the light. It gives a good perspective of size. How long ago was the mine closed?

It’s an iron ore mine that was closed in the late 70s after being in operation for 250 years.

This abandoned mine is water filled from about 60 meters depth. In the winter it freezes so I just had to try this:

Fantastic photos! I’m also into light painting and currently using a Convoy L6, three Convoy S2+ (warm, neutral, and cool), LED Lenser P7QC (RGBW), and Thrunite TH20 for headlamp duties.

Thanks.

I did see two of your photos in that Zoomie/TIR nighttime photo thread. I do like that bottom one, I have a few taken with the same method using a zoomie or thrower. For the bigger chambers I go with the flooder though.

You must of been confident it would not crack before heading out on the ice. I was scared watching it. :wink:

Nice to see. All my caving was decades ago with carbide lamp, a little wedge-shaped 2xAA flashlight, and candles.
And flashbulbs for the camera.

That is über-cool, ice skating inside a cave! Great video. :slight_smile:

Awesome. Thanks for the pics.

Were there others in the cave when you took these shots?
Did you leave a plan of your descent and location with others who expected your return….just in case?

I’d be too afraid of some evil bastard cutting the line on the tree.

wow!
Never seen anything like this. You are a man of steel nerves.

I also prefer to use flooders to illuminate a wide area, with the hotspot being useful for tunnels. I now only use the zoomy if I need to illuminate small parts of the photo.

It starts like a beach with very shallow entry, so it was easy to check the depth. I carefully checked the entire “lake” before putting on the skates. I’m used to ice skating on frozen lakes so I am very used to noises that even thick ice can make. My friends who where with me where not though. Once it gave a loud poof. I barely reacted as I’m used to it, but they where off the ice in a micro second :smiley:

I have a carbide lamp, was many years ago I used it though. Good when the whole group has them and it’s cold, you can just huddle up around them. I never got my hands on flashbulbs here in Sweden though. I’ve seen photos with them and they kick butt!

To be technical, it’s a mine, not a cave :slight_smile:

On the photos with natural light coming from above I was alone. My girlfriend knew exactly where I was and when I was expected to come out. But all of those safety issues have been discussed earlier in the thread. The fear of someone messing with the rope is very real though. Even worse is when people like to throw rocks down in an attempt to hear how deep it is. It’s good to have a safety guard up on the surface.

Zoomies are usefull in the widest flood setting too, at least if the area is not so large. It is possible to take pretty good photos by waving around throwers in larger areas though, like these two.
Not my photos though. I’m in them but I didn’t take them:

These pictures are not getting any worse. So your climbing up a frozen waterfall?

The guy that took those last two is a whole lot better at photography than I am. He does however have photography as part of his income.

Yep. Standard ice climbing. What’s not so standard is the environment we did it in :slight_smile:

Me too. I would have thought that underground like that Temps would be warmer and not freeze. But I have not been to Sweden or any place likely to get that cold.
Great pics and youtube Mike.

Wow, those ice climbing photos are impressive!

It depends on how deep you go, and to which mine. They all have different characteristics. In the mine with the ice climbing photos the ice is there year round from about 40 meters depth to 80, but lower than that and it doesn’t ever freeze. The one with the ice skating freezes in winter and thaws in summer, but the seasons are delayed with about a month or so.

Yeah, that guy takes some darn good photos. I’m happy to be in a couple :slight_smile:

Cool stuff :+1:

Way to make a guy feel old!

Awesome adventures and thanks for sharing the pics. Amazing.

Was that the noise of the skates or cracking ice?