Fire-Foxes FF4 HID Flashlight Review (As usual, picture heavy)

You have a modded FF4? Details?

Actually, yes I’d say the X60vn will do an hour at 5000 lumens. Especially running the stock 2900mah cells. They still do a very respectable 64-6500 lumens on turbo and then it kicks down eventually to about 5000 lumens. And remember it had 6ea 2900mah cells. So even boosted by vinh, it has pretty good runtime. And I can also kick in back up to 6500 lumens(or 6865 lumens on 20R’s) anytime I want, unlike the FF4.
Not knocking the FF4. It was handsdown the best HID I ever used or tested. But HID’s are just not my cup of tea.

Dammit FmC why did you have to post that Banggood coupon code now ive gone and ordered one.

Sorry about that……… on a lighter note, mine has posted already :slight_smile:

@Xmint -

That's a fanstastic light... what is it? :D

With regards to the stock vs modded issue, I think the question should be more along the lines of price, than anything. For example the modded TK61vn, which hits ~620kcd is only ~$250. Compare that vs the price of some of these HIDs.

I also don't entirely agree that a single LED should be required to compete against an HID. To me the end result is more important.

As an aside, specifically where throw is concerned, lasers win out big time. If you can stomach the price, there are several builders out there who can make you a handheld white laser, which will destroy just about every, if not all lights out there. Of course the downside of using a laser is you have literally zero spill.

Good Day chriszhou, :slight_smile:

Superb review.

Thank You Very Much,
Roberta 0:)

Interesting had my doubts whether the X60vn would have prolonged run time with that sort of output good to hear that it actually will do so.

Does the head get hotter than the super shocker? And do you think that the long handle contributes anything to the cooling? I wonder just how much output the light itself could actually handle.

Does your dislike for HIDs stem from the warm up factor?

Had it for some time now, had to do a lot of persuading to get it. Actually its too extreme, Low is say where high is on the standard one, high=turbo and turbo = too high…. Heat is the problem, the batteries get too hot too fast to be acceptable for their health….

Haven’t got any real numbers as I broke up my box of mysteries and measurement after the impressions/semi review I did of the FF4 when I got it last summer. Could not believe the figure on turbo, thought it was some sort of anomaly with the box and higher outputs measurement. Imagine how I felt when other reviews like RDF’s all had similar turbo outputs.

At the moment the modded FF4 is back being toned down a bit, and a new type of bulb fitted plus other things so that it can actually be used for more than a few minutes. The bulb change might also be an upgrade to a standard FF4 as well

It’s a Maxabeam about 2 miles throw.

I personally do consider that there is a distinction to be made between standard and modified lights, when comparisons between them are considered. I do totally agree that cost is a major factor.

Why I feel the FF4 is so good is it’s combination throw and usable output. Therefore the comparison that a TK61vn can out throw a standard FF4 to me is not a direct comparison. The x60 is to me a much closer comparison.

But apart from the mod/standard discussion, the size factor is I believe an important issue in any such comparison. For me the difference between a light that can and does fit in my jean’s pocket and one that I would need a shoulder strap to carry it, is substantial. And why I consider the FF4 the best bang for buck megalight.

Those of us that are involved and like HIDs and are involved in ‘projcects’ are I accept even more nuts than lights/laser modders. But when you actually have hand held lights illuminating at distances of 2 odd miles, I really don’t see (sorry) LEDs being able to do the same in the same form/size factor any time soon, let alone beat HIDS of that ilk.

I would love it if LEDs were developed so that they would easily beat HIDs. (would make some of my projects a lot less risky) but I fear that won’t happen.

But laser phos technology is where I believe in the next few years hyper lights will be developed from and that is what I will look forward to.

Yes the main issue I have with HIDs is the warm up time. Thats the biggie. I also don’t care for the tint on any I’ve handled. On the FF4 has the annoying lack of being able to go back into 60w mode.
As for heat on the X60vn, it does get pretty warm. Not as warm as the FF4, but warmer than the amped up Shockers. Shockers have a lot of mass to absorb the heat.
The X60vn isn’t that big and heavy really. It weighs 850g vs 526g for the FF4. Thats not too bad for a light it’s size. My SR90 likely weighs about twice what the X60vn does.
But back to the FF4 - it is an awesome little light. Unreal throw and power for it’s size. And if the moderate warmup time doesn’t bother a potential buyer, I highly recommend it.

Man this thing looks appealing.

Besides warm up time, what other drawbacks does an HID have? Is it dangerous to turn it on and off and on again without letting it cool down?

If I’m in the US, is the only way to get an FF4 is to buy it from some dude who doesn’t even have a website for $270?

And has anyone from the US tried either the wallbuys or banggoods sites to see if they will ship anyway? I’d like to buy one, but not for $270.

Hard to believe Fire Foxes would give an exclusive license for the entire US to an operation like that.

Hi there.

Just want to thank everyone for their input. I have just received my ff4 and it totally blows me away. The pure strength of this little torch is just incredible.

Getting a nice pelican 1300 to store all the goodies.

Will post some pics as well.

Thanks
Kris

I could be wrong, it happened once, but I doubt that any Chinese vendor is going to abide by a ‘rule’ that they cant ship an item to the US.

Sorry missed this…

Could never figure it out myself the lipslockin, daft!

Email is your friend as EF in his post has said, quite a number of the Cn dealers if you swear secrecy would prob supply you. You could also check Taobao a friend in the US got one from them.

I know of one dealer that will but the price is higher than BGs but less than $270. by about $30, I would have to ask them if it would be ok to give you their details. ( I have no link with them apart from being a satisfied customer)

My FF4 arrived yesterday from BG.

Didn’t have the double-box packaging, but survived the journey fine.

Came with the full (Chinese only) manual, owner’s card & warranty return card.

Didn’t come with the lens cap or cord, or any other extras.

Interestingly, it has “5500K” written on the box, although the manual says “4300k”. I’ll have to do a few comparisons with other LED lights to try & gauge the color tint - initially testing it last night, it wasn’t as warm as I was expecting.

Just got mine from BG a couple of days ago. Exactly as yours, Chinese manual etc and 5500k written on box and inside QC card.

I got a 67mm camera lens cover from ebay for £1.67 ($3.02 AUD) including delivery, fits perfectly.

Yeah, my one is definitely 5500k. I compared it to some other lights, & another member pointed out that some stores have a 5500k option.

I re-visited the BG page, but could only see 4300k stated in the description. I know it would bug some people, especially at that price, if they were expecting the warmer tint…

Be careful operating your FF4 for extended run times, At around the 40 min mark my rear switch melted the solder and disconnected itself.
Im sending it back to Doing outdoor for a replacement.

Also if left on standby it will drain unprotected battery’s down to .5v very dangerous happened to me twice, I thought the battery carrier had low voltage protection circuitry ?

Trev

Unlucky :frowning: Not had that problem myself with the solder issue. I did hear of some faulty carriers in the early batches.

Umm my FF4s do shut off with a low voltage condition while in use. IIRC there has been a thread on here about some protection circuits on certain cells not tripping with low parasitic drain.

Question why did you leave the FF4 in standby for long enough for the cells to drain anyway and twice?