Fireflies ROT66 review (3x18650, 9x219B)

Great review, thanks for another ton of work!

This light is certainly a must-have, but it is so much in between other flooder flashlights that I own in all of its aspects that it has no unique reason of existence in my collection, so I’m holding off buying it for now (I’m low on money as well, spent way too much on hobby lately) . Maybe later, because it looks so nice…

A Chinese billionaire ever said…when you see something attractive, simply buy it. The money is not really spent, it just accompanies you in another way.

What a nonsense.

Thanks for the review and wonderful photos. The lighting is beautiful on all of your product shots!

Regarding the flashlight, I have to agree with djozz. The 9080 LEDS really sets it apart, but on other aspects, I find the M43 to be a more compelling package with its refined aesthetics, boost driver, and mod friendly optics.

Then again, I have not experienced the 9080 219b in person so the above opinion is based on mere speculation as that could highly sway the attraction to this light.
I still want one though…
:slight_smile:

The stainless steel bezel and optional stainless steel tailcap is pretty refined! I’m not too big a fan of 4x18650 tubes myself— 2” is just slightly too big for what I’d consider ergonomic in the hand. 1.75” from 3x18650 tube though is much more manageable. I find 1.25” 1x26650 tube ideal size, but 1 26650 can’t power all these leds as well as 3x18650.

I was surprised to see in the comparison graph, however, that the M43 does not show the nice flat regulation that the ROT66 has, even in the ~100 lumen ballpark. It’s not severe, but output does by more than half over the runtime.

Definitely better efficiency, though.

Aesthetics is obviously a personal matter, but I really like the slimmer appearance of the Fireflies light and the bare metal bezel and tailcap.

I too was impressed with the flat regulated runtime of the ROT66. The ramping UI is also a nice bonus!

I have a DGQ Tiny 26650 with 7 x 219C 4000K and the M43. The ROT def falls somewhere in between.
Agreed, aesthetics is totally a matter of personal preference.

Thank you maukka. I really wanted to pick up one of those lights. Unfortunately it just isn’t in the budget at this moment. After I get the kids all ready for back to school and getting a new TV to replace the one that went belly up last month, it will be the first one I order. Love the tint and beam. Hope I can get one with that emitter before they are gone for good. Thanks again.

I have found the same, when testing the M43. One thing it is not… is flat. I can’t count on it to give me consistent output, regardless of what level it’s at.

Awesome comprehensive review, maukka!

Would there be a similar info table for other flashlights (notably I’m interested with the comparison table for the Emisar D4 quad-Nichia).

Nice review, thanks!
I need this flashlight

What are your top 3 lights in your collection with best light quality Maukka?

Thank you for another fantastically thorough review! I learn something from everyone of your reviews.

I was also trying to get the dimensions of this flashlight because I don’t trust the manufacturer’s size. Size: 110mm x 47mmx45mm body. I thought it is too small to be true. Indeed the head diameter is too small. Thank you so much. Can’t wait to receive mine.

Hey! Nice beam angle graphs ;-D ! Thanks for fantastic review!

Depends how/where you measure, you can find from 47 mm to 54 mm:

Finally my replacements are back and I can measure them again. This time the measured temperature (1 hour after activating Turbo) is much higher than the previous one. There should be some reason, but I have no idea…

219B (close to maukka’s result, much higher than my previous one):

XP-L HI NW (too hot to be holdable, due to more 7135s):

maukka measure at 700lm with 7 X 7135,
you measure after activating turbo and you say close to maukka’s result ?
Robert

I was talking about the temperature measured after stabilization (driven by 100% 7x7135). This can be achieved by either activating Turbo directly (the light will step-down to 7x7135 fairly quickly) or switching to the equivalent mode in the default mode-set. As already mentioned, I measured this temperature after activating Turbo for 1 hour, meaning that it had already stabilized at 7x7135 for a long time.

With my previous ROT66 I got 43°C, while with this new one I got 52°C, which is very close to maukka’s result (53°C).

Thanks
Robert

Maukka, how do some slight minus pink filters affect the CRI, subjective tint, and output of the light on its multiple modes?

I just received my order of the ROT66 (Nichia version), I would like to easily access the 1×7135, 7×7135 and full FET modes.

My guess is that, when in ramping mode, the side indicator will blink to indicate:
1x7135 full = highest brightness level where the side indicator blinks once
7x7135 full = highest brightness level where the side indicator blinks twice
full FET = highest brightness level where the side indicator blinks thrice

In ramping, it isn't easy to directly set to those levels (as one has to ramp up or down and notice the highest brightness level that blinks once or twice).

I was wondering if set to Modes Group, which of the 12 modes group might have the 1x7135, 7x7135 and full FET modes?