Flashlights that are great but you hate them

Tentative bump. This is the timeless kind of thread.

Sofirn SP10A V2.0

I really like it as it has great mode spacing, brightness, beam, (especially now that mine has a 3000k SST-20), size, cell options, and has a shortcut to turbo but…

…no shortcut to moonlight! So you either have to turn it on and expect anywhere between <1lm to over a hundred, or cycle through back to moonlight each time you turn it off so it’s saved to mode memory. That’s the only reason I don’t use it much as I use ML a lot.

Nitecore tini. Its super bright, but lockout doesnt work.

Did you do an emitter swap on it, or is the warm SST-20 a stock option? Because what you described as your personal reason for hate is not a problem for me.

My Nitecore EA11 and Klarus Mi7Ti for the following reasons:

EA11A: I like almost everything in it except its horrendous parasitic drain (also common with some other Nitecore models), I already ruined 2 14500s already due to over-discharge.

I want my lights to serve me, not babysit and watch over them by locking-out or looseing of tail cap, etc. Let’s face it, almost all of us has mutiple lights and can you honestly say you can memorize all its UI regarding lock-out, etc.?

If you have a Zebralight SC600 that has a negligible parasitic drain after several years of having it in a ready-to-use state, then you’ll easily understand my hatred for the EA11.

Mi7Ti: Like the EA11, it’s small, bright, everthing in an EDC that I want except the protruding side switch that easily turns on in a holster (I holster all my EDC), it nearly burned my waist when it accidentally turned on INSIDE the holster.

Swapped it in myself. The stock XP-G2 had a very nice beam but I wanted to try something different

The only benefit of the LA10 is that it has a fixed defuser.

The Lumintops come with a separate diffusor that gives a far more pleasant light. And they can be really used as a flashlight.
The LA10 too, but not as effective.

Firmware
The aim of advanced firmware seems to be adding as many options as possible. But user friendliness is neglected.

Flashlights
All flashlights with low efficiency. Efficiency is rarely advertised.

my sp10a when at off state, holding button will directly go to moon mode. i don’t know what happens with V2?

Folomov EDC C2, love the small form factor for a 18650 USB Rechargeable side switch light with a power bank, I HATE the user interface, wish it was Anduril

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

Acebeam EC65 is close to the top of this list for me.

It is objectively a great light. It’s built damn well, super solid, great USB type-C charging, super compact on a 21700 (which is a benefit itself), and has both high CRI and high output options. BUT

It’s UI is not ideal, doesn’t have low enough lows. The button isn’t exactly my favorite, but it does feel high quality. No magnet is kinda bummer. And with the nichia the frosted optic is too diffuse for me to use as a viable EDC, I have to use it at too high of an output to last any significant time for effective brightness. It could also have a powerbank feature, I think that’s a big weak point compared to say, the Wuben TO50R.

Olights S1R IIs also come in here.

GREAT lights. Good enough low, rock solid UI with good mode spacing and simple features but has everything you could want. Magnetic charging is great and simple. Super small and sleek, and now even has some emitter options and some great looks.

Emitter options still aren’t ideal. I don’t really like it a whole lot more than equivalently sized lights, and the emitter options aren’t that terrific at the end of the day. Proprietary cells are needed for the charging, which is just a total drag, it’s an archaic practice.

I’m sure the Astrolux S40-series would come in here if I thought they were great lights, but they are wicked heavy, super harsh knurling, and clunky UIs all around (until you get to Narsil). Good light for the price? Maybe, but definitely not great IMO!

Hate the siren song of Ti flashlights; buy me, buy me.

Love Ti but I know for a flashlight it’s not ideal. I’ve resisted so far…

Y’mean like…

?

I think I'm going to put the FW3A here.

I just can't manage to clip it into a pocket without turning it on at least 20% of the time. I swapped the button for a rubber one, and I wasn't turning it on accidentally anymore but it became instantly ugly.

Maybe I'll have to stack some washers on the end of it to sitck out past the switch... I probably am going to add a washer to my D4's switch anyway.

EDIT: It's worth coming back to this to edit it. The o-ring mod that's become well-known for the FW3A has made it quite a lovely little light for me. The way it should've shipped, IMO.

Try using just the stock rubber boot without the metal switch cover.

Tool Ti AAA - I don’t like the UI and it doesn’t have any moonlight/firefly mode. Also I tend to hit the tail eswitch by accident sometimes. I know they have the aluminum version with rubber switch but that doesn’t have the Nichia emitter.

olight r50 copper, love the light but cool white tint and super heavy weight makes it that i dont use it that much or take it with me when im outside…

That ain’t right, unless it’s gone out of production. I have a Nichia Tool in aluminium and it’s very nice.

my biggest hate/love relationship with a led light was the Astrolux S42. great quality and quad for the pocket, but the software was horrible. I gladly gave it away.