flickr is limiting free photostream to 1000 images

Well, a few years ago, Google made it super difficult to hot link photos as well. Eventually, the only workaround I found was to “share” an image to Google+ and hot link it from there. Now, Google+ is being axed. :rage:

What are we looking at to host the uploaded pics onsite?
Is it out of the realm of reality?

Well, djozz said this several posts back:

And in the OP, he has the notice from Flikr. In the middle of that notice, it has this:

Notice one of the features of Flikr Pro is “unlimited” storage. So, I’d say, technically, it should be possible to host all of BLF’s images for under $100 a year. The catch will be if the images are “accessed” enough to incur extra bandwith costs on top of “hosting” cost. :open_mouth:

My 7 year collection of 3600 pictures are between 5 and 10 Gb of data. I can store that on a 6 euro USB-stick and transfer that on nowadays internet in a few minutes.

But because of the way that internet forums have evolved together with the free image hosting sites, this is now all changing to 80 euro per flickr user per year to keep BLF intact (BLF is already incomplete because of the Photobucket disaster last year).

The question is how momentary do we want a hobby forum to be? If content posted more than a year ago is decided to be irrelevant enough to not worry about it going without the pics, the 1000 free images of flickr are plenty to keep it going.

In the future , historians will refer to this time as the dark ages , due to the lack of information they will be able to find .

Hahaha i have like 8k+ photos on there they sent out Emails in October saying the changes will come in place in December then they pushed the date forward to a later date. I am in the same boat as you its like 50 USD a year so about 80 Aussie Pesos. I am not doing reviews any more so far as i can see but id like to keep my old photos up.

Is there any way we can get a image hosting serves just for BLF members? We all chip in a few dollars each?

That is a question for sb. I’m not for a member payment system though.

And it does not help for preserving the 8+ year history of BLF, or an automated method should be devised to collect all existing BLF pics from the hosting sites, store them on the BLF-host and automatically replace all the hotlinks by links to the new source. I expect that even to run into copyright problems.

Yea but it would help future proof this situation. I know how you feel i need to change hundreds/thousands of pics between here and CPF if i dont pay. Kind of feels like extortion by Flickr! But they have t&c to cover this.
Flickr got sold by Verizon in April and is not owned by Yahoo any more so most likely why this happen.

It is Jan 6, I just posted a UV led test in which are a couple of new pics. In two days, Jan 8, flickr does not allow me to upload new pictures anymore.

I decided that I’m not going to pay 80 dollar per year to allow me to post images on BLF because that is firmly against how I want my hobby to be, and am not starting a charity to pay me for a PRO account (because that is a bit absurd). I guess that I am looking for a new free image hosting site now, but have no idea yet.

Next month flickr may start deleting 2600 images from my account.

I use imgur and imgbb. I think imgur resaves photos to a lower quality which pisses me off. Imgbb doesnt but the site may not be around as long as imgur.

:person_facepalming:

There’s an option to save HQ.

Maximum File Size

The maximum file size for non-animated images (think JPG, PNG, etc) is 20MB. PNG files over 5MB will be converted to JPEGs.

The maximum file size for animated images (like GIFs) and video is 200MB. Video uploads cannot be longer than 30 seconds. GIF and video files over 2MB will be converted to GIFVs, where the sound is removed.

Non-animated images over 1MB for anonymous uploads and 5MB for account holders will be lossily compressed. All non-animated images receive lossless compression that reduces filesize while maintaining quality. Large GIFs will be converted to GIFV, which shrinks file size while maintaining a high quality, perfect for our expert GIF makers.

When I need to upload an image now and then I use

Not sure if they will be good enough for all you have

PNGs over 5MB are compressed to jpeg.

It’s gone now, it’s basically as if it is enabled by default and will only compress images over 5MB.

If there was a shared account, couldn’t one unscrupulous person just change the password and/or account info, and lock everybody out?

Some sites require confirmation for password changes, so you would need access to the master email account too.

Ahh, cool. Hard to imagine BLF without pictures

Ok, first attempt failed. I tried to open a new flickr account to be able to store a new 1000 photo’s. I did not even came as far as finding out if the free service still exists as they want my phone number for some ‘verification’, not going to give that to any internet organisation.