FREEME ✌ ASTROLUX FT03S SBT90.2 4500lm 1428m 26650/ 21700/ 18650 Flashlight - EXPIRED

Rather than screw around with temp ramps and limits, I’m going to play it safe with mine and just leave it at defaults and just rely on the temperature calibration.

As I edited on post #1014, I made a fundamental error - the charted test was with a partially charged cell.
I reran the test with a fully charged cell and the ‘yoyo’ effect is still present.

However, I changed the cell from a 4200 mAh capacity to a Molicel 20700 / 3000 mAh to ‘sag’ under the load and thus reduce the thermal dip to just once. I’m working on the premise of lower voltage cell gives better results.

Now the low is around the 40 sec mark and ramps up by 60 seconds. The dip is ~63% of the 10 sec mark (quite substantial). It regained a very good lux reading throughout the remaining 2 minutes, gently falling some 100 lux. The values are much better than the revised chart. The P30A (Molicel) was at 3.88 volts and as noted, the temp was 63ºC.

I had left the 1ºC ambient & 70ºC max configuration - wouldn’t know if this has any effect.

It’s a workaround, till a better solution is found.

With a stock Anduril light, it’s always recommended to calibrate the ambient temp. This is not done at the factory so it might be high or low.

I guess this is what you mean? Your just going to set the ambient temp and leave the rest stock?

Yes, I just calibrated the temperature sensor. It was 13+C ambient. Seeing how expensive the LED is already, I rather not set it to to the max limit in case it would burn out the LED’s life expectancy.

So basically there was no real change after tricking the thermal max to 90°C?

I got similar results to Sidney Stratton at 90 degrees with the P42 at about 85% charge but when I charged it full it was just like before. Constantly stepping up and down. Once at 75° (I think) I manually went back into turbo after the short step down and it stayed there. I was getting 650lux. Usually anything above around 630 keeps stepping down. I ended the test at 3 mins and it was a bit over 60°C.

@ Th558:
Check my post #1023

Pretty much getting the same results. What was the original cell you used? Texas ace said overheating FET is unlikely but I have a feeling it is. The MF01 mini had problems sustaining output at max ramp and even on turbo so it could be the same overheating issue on this light. Although it only affects this light at near max output.

So, considering the reflector + ramping issues+etc, am I right in thinking I should contact Banggood about the problem before I’ve had it for 7 days, as that’s their window for “damaged, different or not working” issues?
Beyond that, you hit the 30 day window for returning unopened unused items where you pay the return shipping.

They’ll want photos/videos for proof, which given my lack of other FT03’s with working reflectors and measuring equipment will be tricky…
What are you guys doing/asking for as compensation, or are you just accepting it?

I sent BG a message before I received the FT03S informing of the problem. Only an automated response to that because of CNY etc. I just sent another message asking for a replacement reflector. I will have to see what comes as follow-up. I also requested notification when the FT03 spare reflector comes available (who knows whether that will improve anything…).

Shipping a small item back to China insured starts at around $60. Plus there could be additional customs fees. So unless it’s a really expensive item, it’s cheaper for the manufacturer to just let you keep it than to return it.

If the light works and you have no proof it doesn’t meet the throw specs and it’s not written that Turbo lasts for more than 20 seconds, can you really complain?

Bam, they got you bro. They are covered. :smiley:

Yup, there’s absolutely no guarantee. Maybe if our GB organizer (hello @freemeGB) would aggregate our concerns we might get a bit more luck?

@ BFC:

There is the premise of complaint to which you must have veracity of fault.

1) Reflector improper parabolic shape: a test or comparative to standard FT03 is required.
2) Issue of sustained turbo: measurement or video to describe the problem.

A person must give proof of error to claim retribution. Else hearsay is invalid argument.

To claim that one read of design faults and requests a refund is not enough in itself to merit such claim. Prejudice of fault must be undeniable.

FreeMe is a promoter of sales, in no manner does he endorse or warrant the products. Others that have reputation on this forum may sway the folks at BangGood to investigate. If the sales of the FT03S does not materialize as projected, a redesign of faulty components may be re-issued. Sometimes the product gathers dust in a warehouse.

I’m looking to Lexel for a replacement driver. The issue of reflector can be ordered separately when available.

The 100 units sold and delivered are prototypical to further production. If a dedicated thread is user heavy, it would definitely get BangGood’s attention which then requests Mateminco (the manufacturer) to address. Best scenario; a new firmware on MCU and driver available to GB.

I did highlight the issues to BG rep yesterday. In-charge and team will only return to their work place from Feb 13th onward. Please give them some time to work things out together with manufacturer.

Darn, I thought they would be back already. I sent them a video of my light that won’t turn off, I will wait til they return to see how they want to handle it.

Some are working from home due to Novel coronavirus. Inter-department communication will definitely be slower. Hope things will return to normal by end of next week.

Thanks! Support is appreciated.

Thanks Freeme. Mine is still in transit and should arrive any day. I want to reject the delivery due to all the reported issues but the delivery folks here never ring the door bell and just drops off the packages… sigh

I ordered one of these and it arrived yesterday…

For those who are interested… I quite like mine. The reflector is obviously not focused perfectly, but in my opinion the focus is great at longer distances. It is only up close that it feels a little off.

It heats up very quickly on turbo, but I dont run on turbo long so no big deal for me. I did calibrate the thermal settings, set my max temp to 60c.

The front lens looks really great, UCL coating. The bezel is great.

So it may not be as ‘perfect’ a light as it could be, but I like it.

the FT03S is a really good performing flashlight!
did you see my beamshotvideo where i took the FT03 (SST40) and FT03S underground?

www.youtube.com/embed/FMvP4NDLg78