Full-Size Leatherman Multi-Tool [advice needed]

Stainless steel isn’t rust proof, it just ‘stains less’.

If you have some ferrite/iron impurities, you can get rusting, as we define it.

I have a stainless steel Seecamp .32acp that under the trigger guard, I’ve gotten some ‘rusting/spots’, despite the rest of the gun being clean. Just in a couple of square millimeter areas.

It’s been surmised that the purity wasn’t spot on in that area of the forging.

Chris

definitely Wave when it will be $ 45 for a thank you

pleas link 45 usd

I have a charge TI and like if very much. The only thing i dont like is when closing is the last 3 mm it feels like your break something, but its just how it works.

I carried a wave for years, but changed to a surge several years ago. Yes it’s bigger and heavier, but that also means it’s stronger and dam near bulletproof. I love being able to put any kind of T-shank jigsaw blade in the blade exchanger where the diamond file or wood saw usually resides. I’m an ironworker and abuse this tool daily. Have I broken blades? Yes, but it’s easily taken apart and rebuildable with pawn shop finds that are broken somewhere else!

I used to have one of those too. Had same closing issue. Gave it to a friend and got the Charge ALX which doesn’t have that issue.

I have wave and supertool(Rebars big brother), hands down wave is far superior, ST has blade play with that locking system, so I assume rebar will also. the lockup on rebar is similar to the blast as well so if you want to try a newer system the wave will be very different + the outside tool access is a big plus and you can buy the bit kit accessory to get even more use out of bit exchanger, as well as a pocket clip accessorry you can add in.

Also recommend joining us at multitool.org forum, great guys there and endless info on multis and knifes

I was just pushing multitool.org on another thread, what a great site! Lurked for a long time and just signed up the other day to ask a question.
A question which, in a roundabout way, leads back to the Wave.
I like the design of the Ruike L41 and some variation of it has been on my mind, was inquiring about durability and some other aspects.
I keep the Wave in my motorcycle full time with all the bits for smaller work than my standard tool kit will handle.
Got it out to check again if I could work it in to the EDC rotation as I’d ruled it too heavy previously.
The Wave is no lightweight but I was surprised to see it was only 11g more than the Ruike.
The Wave is 241 and the L41 is 230! The L41 has some small pliers and scissors but I was guessing it would be much lighter than the Wave.
A Victorinox Work Champ which has a (roughly) similar range of tools is 226g.
So if weight is a consideration the Wave is certainly in the same class as the others I mentioned but with the addition of a set of pliers that are big enough to actually do some work.
Also worth noting: there is a lock that engages the blades when the pliers are open to prevent chopping off fingers mishaps.
The 21pc Bit Kit is a must-have, from the description:

The assortment of bits include (each bit is double ended): Hex 1.5mm and 2mm, Hex 2.5mm and 3mm, Hex 4mm and 5mm, Hex 6mm and 1/4-inch, Hex 7/32-inch and 3/16-inch, Hex 5/32-inch and 9/64-inch, Hex 1/8-inch and 7/64-inch, Hex 3/32-inch and 5/64-inch, Hex 1/16-inch and .050-inch, Square Drive #3 and #2, Square Drive #1 and Pozi , Pozi #2 and #1, Torx #10 and #15 and Torx #20 and #25, Torx #27 and #30, Phillips #0 and #3, Phillips #1 and #2, Slotted 3/32-inch and 1/8-inch, Slotted 5/32-inch and 3/16-inch, Slotted 7/32-inch and 1/4-inch, Phillips and flat tip eyeglasses screwdriver.

edit: I’ve been looking at the SOG PowerAccess and it doesn’t seem quite as durable but it has a cool hex bit holder in the end and only weighs 167 grams.

Is Leatherman the best multitool brand hands down?

There is really no ‘best’, in anything. There’s mostly preference—personal preference.

I started with the original Leatherman with non-locking blades and still keep that one my truck. I then got the square jawed Gerber Tool, but that thing always pinches my palm.

Then it was the SuperTool v.1, which really saved my bacon at work a lot. It’s got locking blades and needle nose pliers, which are good for some tasks and not so good for others.

I always liked the SOG power grip multi-tool, but it was a bit more than I wanted to pay, back in the late 90s.

Now LM has a ton of options, but I’ve not tried them out. I like my SAK SwissChamp and have EDCed that for 5 years, but you can’t beat on it like the LM ST v.1, which works well as a small hammer.

I’m working for a buddy for a couple of months doing Middle Eastern and mass market rugs and many come to us in thick poly bags and with big labels ironed onto the back, so we have to cut the bags and pull off the labels.

The SwissChamp hasn’t missed a beat.

I have some nice boutique knives and get more use out of a multi tool.

Chris

love my swisschamp as well, and all saks for that matter. The Victorinox Swiss tool and Spirit are also great options, I got mine awhile back when the prices were more reasonable, now everything has skyrocketed. I think the wave and spirit are the 2 best multis out there.

Nice, it is a great site. I’ve been eyeing those Ruikes for a few months they look really nice, from what I read they are similar to the Boker and possibly both made by Sanremu. I’d like to get a Ruike folder maybe 801, lots of good reviews.

I'm sure the Charge ALX is sweet, but it's also out of my price range.

In the United States, on ebay.com, sometimes the Original Wave (and maybe the Wave +) is $45 or less.

It involves checking ebay frequently to scoop up a deal.

The Surge is quite a bit larger and heavier than the Wave, but maybe I should go for it anyways?

I'll have to think about it.

EDIT: The Surge is also out of my price range.

I finally bought it!

After checking eBay many times a day for a week and a half, I found a bargain on a...

Leatherman Wave!

Awesome! You’ll love it.

You will love it. I carried one of those for a while, the surge is very pricey, but is built very solid.
Odds are the wave will do everything you need it to. If you ever feel you need a heavier duty one, then maybe look at the surge, and hand the wave off to someone else who could use it.
Congratulations on your Leatherman!

This is REALLY important and the reason that I like the wave. The Wave is a big tool and heavy. I’ll also carry a smaller Leatherman (my choices are the Skeleton and the Rev) with a pocket clip instead of the Wave to keep weight down.

Alright, I got The Wave today.

It is very nice.

I think getting a Surge would be overkill for my modest needs.

I'm a happy raccoon!

I have the Swiss Army SwissTool. I actually have two- after losing the first one, I bought a second. Only to find the first one... having a spare isn't bad, right?

I owned an original Leatherman when I came across the SwissTool, and immediately retired my original Leatherman. I will say this Wave is sounding pretty good, so maybe I will check it out.