FW3A, a TLF/BLF EDC flashlight - SST-20 available, coupon codes public

interested in one for sure, maybe 2 or 3 (friends)

I am interested in one or two

The link to his review is already there. Thatā€™s why I didnā€™t post both. No biggie, though.

Switching from an AR coated lens to a plain one can reduce the yellow and vice versa. Itā€™s an easy way to shift the tint a little bit. All the AR coated lens Iā€™ve seen were coated on both sides so flipping it does nothing. Maybe your S42 lens is only coated on one side?

:+1: ā€¦ OK, your right, it is there.
Canā€™t have it in to many places thoughā€¦ makes it easy to find. :wink:

Just curious, to anyone getting just one of these which led will you be getting and why?

@JonnyUtah, I will be getting mine with the LH351D, for 3 reasons:

1. I like high CRI lights. They make every color pop.

2. I prefer 4000k-4500k for indoor use.

3. Itā€™s cheaper than the XP-L HI, and since the LH351D 90CRI has about the same forward voltage as the SST-20, Iā€™ll swap one LH351D for an SST-20 3000k, which will work fine and make the beam rosier.

I know this has been asked before, but canā€™t find the answer. When the light is in muggle mode, is there a memory function, or does it always ramp from its lowest setting?

Clicking to turn it on goes to the last-ramped level. Holding to turn it on starts at the bottom of the ramp.

Please update my quantity to two pieces, one of each emitter.

Thanks.

Iā€™m interested for one. Thanks.

I can't really get two because... money, and I haven't chosen yet... I'm really confused about tints lately, so if anyone feels like helping me out with a recommendation please do so lol. If you don't care about the boring OT, please skip the next part :D

I have the D4 with 3000K SST-20s and I don't find it rosy at all. Slightly greenish actually at lower levels. Confused why someone would put them into a light to make it more rosy... must mean the LH351D is super green?
Sofirn C01 3200K is actually more reddish/magenta than those SST-20 and is closer to an incandescent bulb (because more reds/oranges).
The 5A BLF A6 I got wasn't even rosy, it was straight up pink/purple... Maybe I got something like a 5R tint, who knows... I think it's not right for them not to tell you if it's 5A1 or 5A2, etc... Ended up swapping in a 5D XP-L HD from fasttech, that one's much less pink, but compared to actual daylight (winter here so it's pretty warm for daylight since the sun is never high up) still quite a rosy warmish color (like a creamy salmon color). It looks more balanced on lower levels tough, just a creamy white.
I have a Nitecore MT06MD with a single 219B (5000K I assume) in it. It's a tiny bit warmer than daylight and pretty neutral tint wise. Leaning towards magenta. I really like it, it's not driven on super high current though... so idk how it'd look in a hotrod.
Recently got a 348, they sold it as "NVSW219BT-V1" but it's much greener than that Nitecore so I'm assuming 219C? It's really close to my winter daylight, a tad and greener. A bit warmer than pure summer high-noon daylight I'd say. A tad too green for me at night though actually. But not driven at full power with just a single AAA battery of course.
I also have a Fenix TK20R, it has an XP-L HI but unknown CCT/tint. It's colder than the 219B and greener, but not overwhelmingly. I probably wouldn't even call it a cool white, but it probably is closer to 6000K... idk, when hearing cool white I have to think of those ice blue christmas lights.
So where do LH351D and XP-L 3D fit into this? I guess I could stare at measured color charts but I don't think it'll help me understand where these two are positioned... After my experience with the A6 I'm now kinda scared of tints below the BBL... What do you recommend? Thanks!

1 more for me too for a total of 2. One of each emmitter. I havenā€™t experienced 3D xpl-hi yet so I want to try those too.

I would like a second one please.
Thanks all.
Chris

The SST-20ā€™s are documented by Maukka to shift from moderately green at low output to neutral or moderately rosy at high output (at least, in the FB4 bin). The appeal of SST-20ā€™s should not rosiness, as far as I know, but the combination of high CRI and decent throw. That said, Iā€™m under the impression that the SST-20ā€™s Fireflies got their hands on are a rosier bin.

The LH351D seems to mostly be available in a tint that tends slightly green, but it sounds like some batches can be a lot worse than others. LH351D will be pretty floody. The limited data Iā€™ve seen suggest the tint shift across the beam and at differing currents is relatively small, which is good.

I donā€™t know what to say about your XP-L HI experience, as I donā€™t have any. Most people seem to like the 3A and 3D bins, and the reduced amount of tint-shift in the beam compared to the HD. ā€œPurpleā€ is normally how below BBL tint is described for cool white emitters, not 4000K. Maybe you received a different CCT than you ordered?

My personal plan, because red rendering is important to me and Iā€™ve found myself ok with a slight amount of green in the beam as long as the tint shift to the spill is minimal, is to order the LH351D version, and also get an SST-20 triple board from Kaidomain, and compare both to see which I prefer.

I also plan to get some loose LH351D to experiment with slicing the domes to see if I like that. Djozz has found the LH351D looses about 20% output when slicing, but the tint tends to shift below the black body locus, and warms up by about 500K. If I like the results, I might try it on my FW3A.

In for 2!

This thread was concieved over nine months ago. I think it is time to start pushing.

Put me down for another light, so I can have one of each emitter type.
2 total

I look around and see some other lights I am interested in, but say NO to them as this light offers so much for so little money. Letā€™s hurry up and get this light so I can buy some others :wink:

Try a year and 9 months.
But patience grasshopper, weā€™re all waiting and there are a select few working on this that we all have to thank for their tremendous effort and dedication to the community.

This thread was ā€œconceivedā€ before you were even a member of BLF. ā€œConceivedā€ Thu, 05/04/2017 - 06:50

You think ā€œit is time to start pushingā€??
Pushing for what??

Hopefully all will be correct ā€˜whenever the light is releasedā€™ā€¦ā€¦ that beats ā€œpushingā€ any day.