FW3A, a TLF/BLF EDC flashlight - SST-20 available, coupon codes public

Please let me know the results, I have a triple board that I got for another mod but maybe it’ll be better in the FW3A?

I believe I have read somewhere on BLF that a quad would not fit; while the MCPCB for both triple and quads are 20mm, the Carclo quad optics are 24mm in diameter. Carclo triples are only 20mm.

From the schematics in the first post I estimated that a quad optic wouldn’t fit, at least not without extensive Dremel persuasion.

Maybe one of the early movers could do a quick check?
We would need the diameter of the inside nudge where the optics sit on and the inside diameter of the head that screws onto the light.

Thanks for the info, I’ll need to measure mine when it arrives if no one else has already.

Awesome news for you and your Wife! Congratulations to you both :partying_face:

The entire light is only 25.5mm - so if the quad optics were to fit, there would only be .75mm for the tube thickness including the head. So that probably wouldn’t work out.

But it is possible to reduce the quad optics in size, a diameter reduction of 2mm would cut into the reflector cups though.

Congratulations Neal!!

Congratulations Neal! Family comes first, take care of your little one and your wife and don’t worry about flashlights for a bit…

So if Lumintop is restocking and building more XP-L HI FW3As right now and the plan is to get them shipped next week, I’m assuming the SST-20 version is probably at least a few weeks out?

I might have to just order an XP-L. I’ve never swapped LEDs before but maybe I’ll just go that route to get higher CRI. I prefer the LH351D over the SST-20 anyhow.

Congratulations Neal to all your family and big kiss to your brave wife.
I suggest a name Shaquille O :+1:

I’ve seen some people mention how they added batteries to their order to make sure they get shipped fast… how does that work? Or did I misunderstand something? I’m sure there’s ways to ship batteries on boats or via train… so I don’t really get why adding a battery would “force” them to send it via air mail

Congrats to you and your family! Glad to hear everyone is healthy. :partying_face:

I fit Quads in Convoy S2+ no big deal…

Thanks, KawiBoy1428 - would you say it is a lot of work to reduce the optic diameter from 24mm to 20mm? Is the beam good enough afterwards?

Thanks.

Tedious if you do it by hand, like I did the first one, piece of cake on the lathe with a jig to hold the optic.

Worth it, only you can decide once you do one. But for me…now….I would only do it for the right host.

Thanks, KawiBoy1428. I did a quad build once in a Thorfire VG10 where the heat could escape.
While I do think this FW3A is a cool light and a good candidate for a quad build, the heat would be an issue.

Let’s see.

In Spanish, to give birth is translated Dar A Luz, which means “To give light”
Feels appropriate.

The eagle has landed. Twelve days from ordering. Regular shipping. Very well wrapped up. Good job, Neal.
What a beauty, in every aspect. Nice clip. No dings, blemishes or scratches. Just a fingerprint on the lens.
But that is no biggie, because I was planning to polish the optic anyway. And clean every part with alcohol. Hick!

First, wow, congratulations Neal to you and your wife—what a blessing!

Second, after publicly fretting about something as relatively trivial as the possibility of having to wait a few extra days for a (surely awesome) light that I don’t even need, I got my tracking number last night. So, yay.

Again Neal, congrats. Savor every moment. It’s strange how time seems to slow down and still speed away.

Not an expert, but in some circumstances the batteries come much slower than a flashlight alone. For the USA there are various regulations and policies and inspections that can be mind boggling and changeable, so suppliers use various ways to get them delivered. I just trust them and practice patience. UPS and FedEx might have their own strict limits, maybe. Perhaps an expert will chime in. Threads exist dedicated to this topic and here is an example from one:

Part of a post from 6/2018:

Well, I almost got mine today. :neutral_face:

After being sat at the local couriers depot (Yodel :rage: ) for almost a week I checked the tracking first thing this morning to find it was delivery day today! :smiley:

I waited in all day with excitment building.
On the Yodel tracking site you can see the number of stops the driver has to make before yours and a map showing his location.

As it got down to 2 stops away and showed the couriers location as just a couple of streets away the tracking suddenly changed to “We tried to deliver your parcel but couldn’t access your property:rage:

Which is obviously impossible as I had of course been watching and hovering around the front of my property in impatient expectation for most of the day and not taken my eyes off any coming and going for at least the last hour or so! :blush:

Spent 30mins on the phone waiting to speak to a human, they offered to deliver tomorrow but I’m away all day, managed to arrange a redelivery for Saturday, hopefully, fingers crossed.

See Skylumen.com.

It appears VinH has already tested the necessary Dremel persuasion and is offering several quad options.