FW3A mod thread. Post yours!

@kawiboy
What size is the spring on the tail?
Pardon me if it’s mentioned already but old and lazy eyes can’t foxus much

Installed a 219B on a noctigon triple in one, and the stock XPL-HI 3D has a 8th minus green filter. Being the HI emitter is de-domed and the 219B aren’t, and tried to get the brightness levels as close as possible, the XPL-HI with the filter, improves it a lot IMO.

XPL-HI with 8th minus green filter.

Nichia 219B

Nice! The XPL-HI with minus green filter looks better than the Nichia 219B.

[quote=xevious]

I think the 219B is a little richer looking, but that filter does wonders for sure.

Here’s the 219B on the left, and the XPL-HI with the filter on the right. White ceiling

Nice work!

the low CRI Ra, and negative CRI R9 of the XPL, makes the wood on the left too brown, and the apple on the left less red.

I got it out of a clicky pen, it measures 4.0mm diameter about 3 coils…

WOW!! Man, you got some serious outside-the-box thinking skills!! :) Your mods are absolutely incredible, but to think of using the spring from a click pen instead of, say, buying one or robbing a spring from a dead light is just freaking awesome! That mind of yours has some pretty amazing thought patterns :) Like I said, WOW!

-Ben

He sniffs too much motor oil

Nice…. :beer: . I’ve used them for trigger springs in rifles before. :wink:

Love the McGyvering! When tossing out dead disposable ballpoint pens, I often harvest the springs as they come in handy for all kinds of purposes, sometimes being better substitutes for other ballpoint pens that have inferior springs. Never thought about using one for a button. :beer:

I wonder if replacement switches would be possible get a hold of. I’d worry about ruining my existing switch doing this mod.

Thanks for posting the beam comparison, RobertB. Really telling. Yeah, the Nichia 219B looks a slight bit rosy in comparison. The XPL-HI 3D has a slightly brighter hotspot. They’re close enough that independently they’d be very hard to tell apart, and nearly impossible outside of a white wall.
Where’d you get your 8th minus green filter?

Apparently not… :wink:

got my glow gasket from CRX, was a bit nervous but it went fine install :smiley: i like it.

/\ …. Looks good!! . :beer:

The CRX gaskets look wonderful! I’ve got 2 on the way… hehe :smiley:

I put 2700K SST-20 leds from KD in one of my FW3A’s (tossed out the 219C’s :wink: ) and did an very messy job (but works and is still safe) adding six 645nm aux leds.

Scraping six extra solder pads in the +ring, and two solder pads to the core. Got my negative for the (permanent) aux leds with a thin wire from the in-port of the FET.

Reflowed the 2700K leds and the aux leds (one side of each), and a 2.2K resistor from one aux led to the core (will attach the thin neg-wire later to that resistor)

All aux led minus sides were connected by a wire.

Soldered the board back in the head and found one led was not working, it was the led that was broke and not the connection.

Then it got really messy trying to solder a new led while the board was connected inside the head, several other connections broke and had to be soldered back, but finally got this incredibly ugly result.

But you don’t see nothing of that behind a frosted optic :party:

The 2700K leds at 350mA divided among them have a nice tint, 2640K, 98.2 CRI, R9=89, duv= +0.0002 so as good as on top of the BBL.

Djozz, you mean SST-20, right?

Yes, of course, corrected :slight_smile:

Congrats on getting that to work, djozz. Yeah, the head is so small that it’s a huge challenge to do it cleanly. Are those permanently on, requiring manual lockout to turn off?

Yep, permanently on, just the parallel aux leds in series with the 2.2K between batt+ and batt- . I can’t measure current of the aux leds, but if the 2.2K makes for the bulk of the resistance, the current should be a bit under 1.8mA, draining a 30Q in 2 months (645nm is a nice deep red but fairly invisible so I need that current to make them work well, I would use a higher resistor value for green or cyan leds)

Did the bicycle inner tyre mod, and added a strip of aqua glow tape on the inside of the head, looks good together with the 645nm leds.