GANZO KNIVES, 6&7-SERIES

Yay the 718 just arrived
My son of 11 made a wooden sword out of a1m piece of oak with it
Split the big piece and shaped it only with this knife and has never did anything with wood (only used knives for cooking)
Very nice
I will order another Ganzo for myself with a slightly bigger blade

Thanks for the attention for other thing then just flashlights here :slight_smile:

Be ware with the g718, i saw some videos with lock failures with that model (and with same others like g717 and g711).

From an old list I had and checked with Spyderco.com

Spyderco Compression Lock Models

Current
| C81 | Para Military 2 |
| C146 | Szabo |
| C85 | Yojimbo 2 |

Discontinued
| C66 | Centofante Vesuvius (first generation) |
| C68 | Gunting |
| C69 | Lil’ Temperance |
| C70 | ATR (At The Ready) |
| C71 | Salsa |
| C81 | Para Military |
| C85 | Yojimbo |
| C109 | “S” |
| C116 | Superhawk |
| C140 | Superleaf |
| C150 | Junior |

Old videos ? (They had hollowed stop pins some years ago, now solid)

Navy released a couple of folders with compression lock a few years ago:
K607 - Lil’ Temperance
K502
K632

Not old. G717 or g711 are not very old so videos can not be very old. Some videos with really soft force the lock was failing. But, control quality issues or bad batch? can be, i do not know.

Thanks for the warning
I tried to wiggle jiggle push hard soft very hard and all is doing well what it is supposed to :wink:

So the G74x is basically just a re-badged G726/G704?? They look almost identical, just slightly different blade symmetry.

Can’t find any reviews/size comparisons on these new pocket knives

I got some hands on time with my G728. I touched it up on the Sharpmaker and it took a nice edge. It’s a great slicer. It’s basically all the things I looked for in Kershaw’s assisted flipper that Kershaw didn’t quite deliver. And I like the G728 better than the Spyderco Mantra!

Been eyeballing this one Racer. Don't want another axis lock, does blade flip outa there like lightnin? I've got the Kershaw Skyline and I like it. Similar?

I own the Skyline and like it, but it’s not assisted like the Cryo, Freefall, Brawler, etc. So the G728 flips more like the Kershaw’s Speed Safe, whatever Ganzo calls it. Really nice feel to it.

• G722 added look-alike Lionsteel SR-1 after watching WeAllJuggleKnives
  • G723 added look-alike Kershaw Volt II RJ Martin design
  • G724 added look-alike Lionsteel SR-1

Thanks for that (I thought I had added it a while ago)

My 718 is a little messed up, but I am still very happy with it.
I did it myself
I fel a lot of bamboo here and before I can use them i needed to remove the branches.
We are talking 12 meter long pipes with 3 to 5 meters at the top where branches are. 2 to 3 branches per node, 25 to 30 cm s the length of 1 node.
So we are talking about ~27 to ~50 branhes on each bamboo stalk, thickest about 1 cm diameter.
Using a saw is tricky and the material is so tough, I broke a hgh quality pruning scissor on it last year and still got left with remains of the branches sticking out.

In several reviews online I saw people use a knife and hammer on it with some wood to spilt another piece wood.
And well I checked that when the 718 came in on pieces of chopped oak, it works like a charm and the knife took it without any problem.

yesterday I used the same tehnique to get rid of the branches.
Sometimes I needed to hammer on the handle instead of the blade if the blade could not be reached properly.

The result is fantastic, I got smooth bamboo, no sharp edges from branches, very happy with it.
But after several hours of hammering away, now there is a little movement of the blade (I can move the tip about half a mm up and down where that was not possible when it came in)

I got the axel and holding pin out, cleaned it all, no visible damage, nothing seems bend and after putting it back the movement was still there.
I understand this 718 is not the biggest knife and if the bigger bladed knifes would have arrived I would have used those, being able to hammer on the blade instead of the handle.

So well, I am still impressed with it, it took a real beating for a long period of time, cut through very though material and prove to be the best tool I have for removing the branches that were a pain in the a$$ before.
Also very cool, without sharpening it still cuts through loosely held paper like it did when it arrived and the folding and opening action still is very smooth, flicking it open with 1 hand still works like a charm.

Well, that would be a heck of a workout on any folding knife! I would recommend a fixed blade knife for long term bamboo duty…. Worse case scenario, just take the 718 apart and clean it up… It may be permanently loose now, but will still be a good utility knife…

PS: The technique of hammering a knife is called “batoning” to hit the blade through something…

Ah thanks, I should have a fixed blade.
Well the batoning :wink: is not over, I have to fel and do about 20 in the frontyard (to give space for new growth and not letting them reach the ago of 40 (blossom, seeds and dying at that moment)
But I have that planned for this week, no way a fixed will be here by then (hopefully the bigger bladed Ganzo’s that are in transit will.
But there is next year and I am planning on using a part of our land for more bamboo, different types and colors, I will get me and my son a decent fixed! Thanks!

CHANGES

The Stockman Pattern has been around for many years
Here is a vintage Case XX 5293 Stockman

Let's make this a knife forum!

(Because, y'know, there are light forums elsewhere.) :p

annoying person.

Really? Did reading about knives cause interference between your 5th and 6th post?

LOL lets talk about bra’s sure there are no forums (or s it fora) about those, and man oh man, what a nice subject they make :stuck_out_tongue:

That 706-2, would it be any good? It looks like it wants to be, but also like it just is not all there on everything it pretend to have going for it.

http://forum.breasttalk.co.uk/ :D