Gearbest data breach: millions of customers data exposed

Thanks GOOSE, I’ll just remain ’blissfully ignorant’ as far as checking passwords to see if they are “safe” then. :smiley:
My ole’ heart might not be able to take the excitement/scare…… :smiley:

Changing your password on Gearbest just gives the hackers both passwords. The old and the new.

Hmmm… good for me! I guess I read that part right then when reading about the GB Breach HERE.

I have changed nothing at this point. :wink:

Luckily, I’m using different types of passwords for different types of accounts.

Interesting. I just got a “payment declined, check with your bank” notice from amazon. Sure enough, card was blocked after fraudwatch caught (impressively, I might add) all but 1 of around 30 bogus charges. Getting a new acct/number now.

Might just take that advice to “lose” the card each year or so.

I received this email from Gearbest, possibly regarding this very issue.

The information Gearbest has about me is the same information you can read in the phone book of my country; so I’m not worried; Gearbest has no numbers on my card; the email is different from the one I use for Paypal; my phone is in the clear, but nobody can call me (the number is true, but I only allowed it to make calls, not to receive them); for web transaction security I use another phone number.
Anyway, it’s a problem I hope they’ll solve soon.

at my request, Gearbest has deleted my account
I may choose to make another one in the future, if I need anything from them
I would simply use a new password that would be unique to Gearbest, since I understand the info is not secure.

I haven’t bought any lights off Gearbest yet. I almost did a couple weeks ago to get a H03, but found somewhere else. Lucky me!

I don’t really trust foreign online retailers at all to be honest. I don’t think I’ll ever convince myself to actually add my card to any online store, so thank god for PayPal (regardless of its flaws). No paypal = no purchase.

“IF” this is TRUE,I have nothing to worry about.

I originally though my last purchase was April of 2017,then I looked at my records again and my last purchase from them was 2 X Shockli 26650 last August 2018.

I remember they were breached in either 16, 17, or 18.

which was why I gave up buying from gearbest; IIRC the passwords were stored in plaintext, but I could have remembered wrongly.

I remember the same thing @chesterqw.

Gearbest made this post on FB regarding the data breach:

I think they’re not being completely open/honest about this. I don’t think they can just blame this on a firewall. Passwords are still being stored plaintext, how else could they be visible if a database was accessed?

"Quote: Our hackers could access different parts of Gearbest’s database, including: ...Members database Data includes name; address; date of birth; phone number; email address; IP address; national ID and passport information..."

Whyinnahell would GB want or need passport info?

slmjim

Better yet, why would anyone give GB Passport information?? :wink:

For 20 GB points!

Well worth it, a bargain!! :smiley:

Damn… am I stupid for sending them the nude pics of me they asked for?

> national ID

Don’t forget China’s social credit scoring system. Hacking that could do some real damage.

Yeah, what? They’re storing password in plaintext?

Hmm, if gb doesn’t want to delete your account, but anyone has access to their databases…

Bad news…

Yep. Never use the same password on different websites.

I like to generate random, long complicated passwords using various utilities, like ‘pwgen’ on Linux. (I would avoid online password generators, you never know… if they get breached :smiling_imp: )

Sort of one time password, just for a session. Then reQuest a password change the next time you need to login.