Good Book Thread

Just received “Crooked River” the 19th in the Pendergast series by Preston & Child

Been waiting for Rothfuss’s last book for what - 12 years now?
Got pissed when he put out the non-book, The Slow Regard of Silent Things . Bought it anyway.

If you like SiFi, one of the greats of yesteryear, Roger Zelazny
Lord of Light won the 1968 Hugo Award.

Keith Laumer, so many books, but for space opera, the Bolo self aware tanks were fun.

It’s often hard to try to reread SiFi of old. Only the better writers that could build plot and character seen to work.
One’s that just marveled in future tech and not much else don’t cut it.
All The Best,
Jeff

One second after is a great book. Based on a report to Congress about a possible emp attack. It literally will double your canned goods at home lol. Unintended consequences is my next to read, heard alot about it. Used to read alot. Not so much anymore. A good old vampire series by Brian Lumley , the Necroscope series , or the B.O.L.O series of books are some of my older favorites. Think those series are out of print now. Bolo is sci fi and about A.I space tanks that basically are humankind’s guardians .

Just started reading “Beyond The River of Shame
Written by retired history professor Ken Czech.

This is about one of the great white hunters of yesteryear, Sir S. W. Baker.
A real person who is well known among the early explorers and hunters of Africa. One of the early searcher for the headwaters of the Nile.
Known for his heavy stopping gun, the 4 bore, Jenna el Mootfah (the Child of the Cannon).
He thought shooting deer was not sporting enough, so he hunted them with a knife.

It’s a semi-fictional account about how Baker purchased his (eventually to be) wife at a slave auction.
And the ensuing adventures including the outbid sultan’s attempts at retribution.

Just started it, so don’t have an opinion yet.

For African adventures, Peter Capstick series, “Death in the XXX” are great reads.
Death in the Long Grass is a good one.
It turns out that Capstick wasn’t all he was cracked up to be as an adventurer, but he’s still a heck of a writer.
Capstick really paints a great picture of drama involved in dangerous game hunting.
His accounts of the Man Eaters of Tsavo is one of the best. I don’t remember what book it was in.

This is the story of how 2 lions stopped the British Railway. Killing 100 workers. And eventually being stopped themselves by John Patterson.
This became the movie, The Ghost and the Darkness. But way better.

The Man Eaters of Tsavo, by Patterson himself, is one heck of a read also. By the man who eventually stopped the pair. The lions are on display in a British Museum to this day. And there is a flashlight in the tale!

All the Best,
Jeff

I read all of those. There were a heck of a lot of them if I remember. And LONG.
They were great, but I though he was really trying too hard to keep it going the last few books.

Koontz two books about Moonlight Bay,
Fear Nothing, and Seize the Night
Are just great. About a Chris Snow, who can’t be out in sunlight (not a vampire).
And the mysterious goings on that are the remnants of an abandoned military research facility.
I wish he would do a few more on this.

Odd Thomas, also from Koontz, is cool too. But in later books, he’s trying to keep the ball rolling too long.

Then the is:
The Green Mile
Perhaps the Best Stephen King book there is. If you haven’t seen the movie. Read the book First. Terrific.

All the Best,
Jeff

i read WOOL too, years ago.
like OP said, fast read.

right now, i’m recovering from shoulder surgery
so i’m going all classical while i’m on “restriction”.

just finished War and Peace. yeah, that one.
review: it’s an easy reading soap opera.

3/4 through Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T.E. Lawrence.
so far: tactics and travelogue of the Syrian war.

on deck: Moby Dick.
second time.

I had a 10-15 year absence from reading, I blame it on the internet…but I’ve polished off about 21 books since Feburary, I like to alternate Sci-FI & Fantasy and some horror or thriller, been catching up on some of the good shit I missed out on during that hiatus, mostly paperbacks and ebooks:

3 Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan, first time I have read a fantasy novel and damn all 3 are excellent
4 Dresden Files
reread Hyperion by Dan Simmons and finally got to Fall of Hyperion,
2 Darktower by Stephen King
Pandoras Star by Peter Hamilton, long book ends on a cliffhanger and next book is longer was kinda annoyed but its good
2 Discworld by Terry Pratchett (I got these from my brother and formatting is whacky on kindle, I hope it gets better as series progresses but it make it hard to read, but the books are enjoyable despite the typos and lack of paragraph breaks)
Pronto by Elmore Leonard
A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge
Red Shirts & Old Mans War by John Scalzi
Anathem by Neal Stephenson, another long one, thought it would have been better without the made up terms/constant glossary checking
2 of The Culture books by Iain M Banks; Consider Phelbas & The Player Of Games

Currently reading book one of The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombe, and really enjoying it about 90 pages in…Would reccomend any of the above books if you are into sci-fi or fantasy.

King’s Dark Tower series is outstanding. He links it to just about every story (short, novella or book) he wrote. I used to read everything he put on paper so it was a treat to pick up on all of those connections. I’m wondering if someone who hasn’t read his other stuff has an opinion on the series by itself. I’d hate to recommend it to someone if it’s too much of an inside joke crafted for long time readers.

Would love to read this book after finishing the current book. :smiley:

Talking about the current book I’m reading, It’s ” Think and Grow Rich ” by Napoleon Hill.

Dark Voyage

Alan Furst

update:

1. finished Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Lawrence. it got philosophical at the end (like War and Peace did).
2. finished The Golden Argosy, various. collection of short stories. you have probably already read most of them. lots of non-PC language.
3. Moby Dick, Melville: on page 317 out of 588. ain’t PC, either, but the best of the bunch so far. each chapter is a story unto itself.

next up: How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog, Orzel.
’cause my dog is smarter than your dog.
lol.

A good book or a blog post is frm which you can learn something new every day and this is the time for all of us to use that in the most efficient and effective way.

Wow just found this thread. I’m a book fanatic.

1) The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie
2) Red Rising, Pierce Brown
3) Blood Song, Anthony Ryan
4) The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
5) Magician, Raymond Feist
6) Gridlinked, Neal Asher

Anyone here read the Alex Rider books? I’m going through those again in preparation for the TV series launch in the US (it’s already out in the UK and fans are going bananas).

Sure they’re “kids books” but they’re so fun. Killer premise. Alex is 14 and raised by his uncle who covertly trains him in spy skills throughout his entire childhood. Uncle dies, MI6 ropes Alex into going on missions and they just keep screwing him over and feeding him lies about his past. So excellent. I’m going nuts waiting for the show.

I’ll have to give that a go, it pops up on the Amazon Prime recommendations.

Recent books, The Martian by Andy Weir sciences the hell out of finite resources way better than the film. The film was good, but a mess by comparison.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.

We Are Legion (We Are Bob), a series by Dennis.E.Tailor

I just started reading “The Soldier” in Neal Asher’s “Rise of the Jain” trilogy. If you like space battles between ships the size of planets and weapons that can destroy entire star clusters, definitely check out his books. I’d start with Gridlinked. Best AI Space Opera I’ve ever read

This guy does good reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/MovieDeathCult/videos

finished Moby Dick.
Moby for the win.

I’m reading “The Warship: Rise of the Jain #2” by Neal Asher. Awesome if you like space opera and AI. Recommend starting with “Gridlinked” and you’ll be hooked