grins O.L. 2019 contest entry machine made

Nice Work! :+1:

That put a “grin” on my face. :beer:

Let me guess:
You are inspired by this and want to go with a BIG heatink? :smiley:

I havent had much time to post so just a quick update, im no machinist more like a blacksmith come wood butcher now a trade assistant, rigger, machine operator. I have done an electrical trade but hated the work and no offence to anyone electricians are a weird mob. But now I have that knowledge background for my own benefit.
Now back to the build it wont be like the naked light moose built. More conventional, I like throwers that is why i chose the reflectors and they also fitted the BLF GT lens. The hardest part of this build was going to be getting the reflector right. That is what part of old lumens build got me interested. I first removed the thread then ruined the next 2 next 3 are looking good.

It is starting to look good

I was just kidding, when I saw the reflectors on top of that massive chunk of alu I couldn’t resist. :slight_smile:
Nice triple. :slight_smile:

Nice! Is it a triple or a hexa-light ? :laughing:

Oh dear, you were doing so well
 :zipper_mouth_face:
:smiley:

• CRX the Spark extraordinaire. :innocent:

I did an apprenticeship but maybe i was too weird for them. Sometimes i was explaining to the tradesman what was happening on the job, not so sure they liked that.
I have the reflectors finished now i need to work out how to mount them. Yes it will be a triple.

I am waiting for some bar for the light engine.

Nice cuts grin. Normally I have a hard time understanding the size of items posted up, usually tiny chips on circuit boards but this is the opposite. This time I have a hard time imagining how big this torch is. :beer:

Yeh, it looks like the reflectors are about to swallow the camera :laughing:

Interesting build.
I like 1.25 as a pitch much easier to see.
looking forward to the end

I have the internals of reflector housing done. Last thing i do is cut the bezel thread.

someone mentioned massive heat sink, well i have been collecting bits of copper scrap with the idea of building heat sinks out of it, but not for this particular type of build. Anyways i thought it is a big light so i might aswell go with a big heatsink. Most of my scratch builds have a copper slug under the led.
This is what i decided to do.

Last plate that the driver housing screws into is not finished but it is the big square of copper with the brass fitting soldered onto it.

Home made copper radiator? Cool. :slight_smile:
How did you join the parts?

This heatsink looks like it’ll be super kewl :disguised_face:

The 2 drawings below are the same size reflector but the centres are different. Does anyone know what effect this will have on beam profile? Thinking i might put a connector between the driver and heat sink so I can change the head.

The difference appears to be you moved them further apart. This will leave more of each reflector intact and send more light straight forward into the hotspot. It will give better throw.

Simply amazing grin. :+1:

Nice work/fun there grin :+1:

Well the heat sink got soldered with high grade (and f$$k) silver solder, It was looking good for shaping. The led shelf has 5mm to remove and the driver side plate machined for a contact plate. I am thinking this is a light bulb that screws into socket outlet. All was looking good.
Then Im not sure what i was thinking when I thought i could to trim fins on the lathe. There is a fair amount of material to remove on the driver side so i should be able to salvage it.

Size comparison

OMG

speechless. :open_mouth:

Ambitious, to be sure! Heck of a lot of work and some time spent thinking it all out, looks like you’re having fun with it though. Should be an impressive light
 keep up the good work! :slight_smile: